PDA

View Full Version : Spectacles and flying

modelman
12th Mar 2006, 19:23
I guess there may have been threads on this before but here goes.
I wear specs full time for distance correction but need to remove them for reading as my close vision is fine.At my last eye test,the opt said I was on the verge of needing varifocals.This point was brought sharply into focus (scuse the pun) now my PPL training has moved on the the use of maps/airfield configs whilst flying.Raising and lowering my specs whilst flying doesn't seem too clever (could risk dropping them-specs cord would help this of course.) I can just about focus on a chart at arms length but some of the smaller detail can still be hard to read.
I am sure I have heard opinions that varis are not recommended for flying but what' the answer?
Hope there are some out there with a similar situation/solution.
Thanks
Modelman

SkyHawk-N
12th Mar 2006, 19:52
Try here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214034

172driver
12th Mar 2006, 20:00
From your post I gather you may need 'bifocals' with the 'reading' part being plain glass. If you can see the instrument panel in focus (i.e. w/o any correction), then you should probably tell the optician to create glasses for you with a slightly higher-than-normal border between the 'reading' and 'distance' vision parts (normal bifocals have a rather low 'reading' inset which will probably come in at about two-thirds up on the panel - not a good thing to have).

Whirlybird
13th Mar 2006, 09:47
I have the same problem. Because I can see the instrument panel just fine with my distance correction glasses, my bifocals have just a tiny D-shaped bit at the bottom for reading the map. this means the line between the two sections doesn't get in the way at all; I found it did with any other way of setting it up. If you can, find an optician who's used to dealing with pilots - maybe ask your AME - and experiment a bit to find out what works best for you.

Rocket2
13th Mar 2006, 09:59
I recently had to move to using bi-focals, explained that I flew to the folks at my local Vision Express & they did me a set to suit (more or less the same set up as used for driving). They also pointed out that it was better to use bi-focals rather than varifocals if you were not using them all the time - apparently your brain has to adjust to them or something.:cool:

spittingimage
13th Mar 2006, 10:29
I use vari-focals for flying and pretty much everything else and generally have no problem. Overhead switches and logos can a bit awkward though, if you have such things. Main problem I found was initially getting used to them - took about 4 weeks for the pavement 'neath my feet to stop swimming about ! After that great !

phnuff
13th Mar 2006, 11:55
Agree about varifocals. I found them fine for flying. Better still are varifocal contacts - no dead spots at all

Whirlybird
13th Mar 2006, 13:19
I understood that the CAA didn't allow varifocal contacts....or has that changed?

RatherBeFlying
13th Mar 2006, 16:42
mm -- My optics are similar to yours.

I fly with a single prescription. To read the map, I hold it high and look over my glasses, but I do not advocate this as an optimal approach.

Instead of bifocals, you may want to consider glasses with the lower part cut out.

An illuminated magnifier can be very handy for reading a VFR chart at night.

phnuff
14th Mar 2006, 13:19
"I understood that the CAA didn't allow varifocal contacts....or has that changed?"
I spoke to the doctor at my last medical (before I used them) and he said it was no issue, if it was the case, it isn't anymore
Edited by phnuff:
I have just looked at the CAA site and I am no longer as sure the doctor gave me correct advice. For me, it's back to specs for flying while I check. Pity, because I can see so much better on contacts.