PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft forced landing 7/3/06

Kiltie
8th Mar 2006, 08:29
En route to Tees-side at 5pm yesterady in a commercial aircraft we heard a light aircraft in distress talking to Newcastle. He was losing manifold pressure and was seeking assistance from NCL radar to find Eshott or Milfield.

The controller on our return journey told us he made it OK but collided with a fence. It was dark by the time he must have landed.

The reg. was G-**YC.

Does anyone know where he ended up and if he is OK?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
9th Mar 2006, 08:49
Aircraft (Cessna 182) succesfully force landed and sustained some damage to a wing, but both POB were uninjured. No further info available

waveydavey
9th Mar 2006, 13:23
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4789374.stm

airborne_artist
9th Mar 2006, 14:55
Click the link to the news video report on the right - excellent work by the FI!

waveydavey
9th Mar 2006, 14:55
video report of the incident
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

tonyhalsall
9th Mar 2006, 14:56
The story has just featured on local TV news.
Great story

Deadside
9th Mar 2006, 18:40
Hello,

With out going into to much detail of what happened i can tell you that both pilots (Stuart and Keith) are safe and well and are now back in their home base.

Hearing the full story from the P.I.C today it was very dramatic and i would just like to say thanks to all those who where envolved in assisting there safe return.

thanks once again :) Deadside

P.s dont always belive all that is said..;)

Kiltie
9th Mar 2006, 21:02
Thanks all.

We assisted by relaying to the pilots of the Cessna when they were considering either Milfield or Eshott. The NCL controller went the extra mile in giving them advice of nearby airfields; however he was understandably restricted in the offering of vectors because the aircraft was not positively identified.....a frustration for both parties I am sure.

Those O-470s in 182s suffer horrendously from carb ice...I wonder if this was a factor?

A happy ending nonetheless.

If any of you know the pilot(s) please get them to PM me.

G-CPTN
9th Mar 2006, 23:48
A flying instructor used the headlights of his 4x4 vehicle to guide a stricken aircraft to safety.
Steve Clarehugh, from Northumberland, used powerful headlamps on his Isuzu Trooper to help the Cessna land on an unlit airfield at Eshott, near Amble.
The Cessna 182 was forced to land on Tuesday after suffering engine failure on a trip from Dundee to Manchester.

More:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4789374.stm

Genghis the Engineer
10th Mar 2006, 00:35
Good call!

You could argue he was going against his own commercial interests as well, since I believe that SC also runs a woodland burial ground on the edge of Eshott airfield. :}

G

broadreach
10th Mar 2006, 01:02
Quick thinking on Mr Clarehugh's part.

And, yes, in the olden days when I was a kid in the early sixties living in Iquitos and the phones were crank jobs, the Panair PBY from Manaus was frequently delayed past sundown. No big hassle, the tower had a list of phone numbers and lots of normal citizens, not having heard the aircraft drone overhead, would be ready anyway to drive their jeeps down to the runway to provide temporary lighting and cheer when the old bird settled down. I doubt whether anyone gave a thought to the potential for, should there be a braking problem or a miscalculation, the aircraft taking out seven or eight jeeps.

Edited to take in the post above. "A stretch of sand near Lindisfarne". Hope they managed to tow the aircraft up to the "always dry" part of the causeway before the next tide! Either way, good excuse for an few tots of mead.

10 DME ARC
10th Mar 2006, 07:17
Sorry contradict but very qiuck thinking on the part of the Newcastle Controller who guided the aircraft 30 odd miles to Eshott and who contacted Mr Clarehugh!

Deadside
10th Mar 2006, 08:12
Kiltie,

Check your PM.s :)

cosworth211
12th Mar 2006, 03:00
The story even made the Sun! Good work all round, pilot and flight instructor!