PDA

View Full Version : Age for licences...

speedbird2727
7th Mar 2006, 12:50
If im successful when i take my selection tests/interviews etc in a few weeks with NATS, i will be nearly 19 when starting training.

What is the minimum age for holding a licence (aerodrome and area)?

The consensus amongst some of the ATCO's ive spoken to state that i may get an aerodrome rating...

tired-flyboy
7th Mar 2006, 12:54
Ok i'll bite!

In that case expect an area or approach license!

4 people on my course got aerodrome, and that was a course of 30!!

TATC
7th Mar 2006, 12:57
If im successful when i take my selection tests/interviews etc in a few weeks with NATS, i will be nearly 19 when starting training.
What is the minimum age for holding a licence (aerodrome and area)?
The consensus amongst some of the ATCO's ive spoken to state that i may get an aerodrome rating...

The minimum age to hold a student Air traffic control license is 18. So you could be in line for any of the disciplines.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Mar 2006, 14:09
...and 21 to hold a Yellow Peril, or has that changed?

TATC
7th Mar 2006, 15:29
...and 21 to hold a Yellow Peril, or has that changed?

Just checked CAP744 and the minimum age for an ATC License is now 20.

CAP744 Part 2 Page 1 paragraph 1.2.1

So you can pass the course at the college aged 18, be posted to a unit where you have to train for 2 years before you can validate and get your license. Think of all the OJTI payments that will be made supervising a trainee with 2 years experience - that will be hard work

261A
7th Mar 2006, 17:23
I have grown up next to a London airport and I am 18 in a few days and I have read about the licensing of ATCOs on the NATS FAQs and what it says about having to be 20 to hold a area license.

I am planning to apply as soon as I am 18 (my 18th birthday) and have been told that I can expect the selection tests end of March/Mid April at the latest.
Therefore I should have an interview if successful 6 weeks after so I should be in college if all goes well before I am 19 so would NATS have to send me into an aerodrome course if not only for it being my preference and license as well as living close by a London airport where NATS operates.

Barry Cuda
7th Mar 2006, 19:12
I have grown up next to a London airport.....

....as well as living close by a London airport where NATS operates.

Expect a posting to Aberdeen, then...!

261A
7th Mar 2006, 19:15
NATS Posting system works very well for applicants from Northern Ireland as I heard that only volunteers get posted to Northen Ireland units!

foghorn
7th Mar 2006, 20:35
Not anymore - the contracts were changed for recent entrants. EGAA is now in the frame for "mobile grades".

TATC
7th Mar 2006, 21:15
I have grown up next to a London airport and I am 18 in a few days and I have read about the licensing of ATCOs on the NATS FAQs and what it says about having to be 20 to hold a area license.
I am planning to apply as soon as I am 18 (my 18th birthday) and have been told that I can expect the selection tests end of March/Mid April at the latest.
Therefore I should have an interview if successful 6 weeks after so I should be in college if all goes well before I am 19 so would NATS have to send me into an aerodrome course if not only for it being my preference and license as well as living close by a London airport where NATS operates.

CAP744 which is the document regarding ATC licensing in the uk, and the Air Navigation Order both state that the minimum age at which an air traffic Control License can be issued to an applicant is 20 years of age. There is no difference between Aerodrome, approach radar or area radar or for the procedural ratings.
Therefore your age wouldnt be an issue with regards to a posting, unles you were leaving the college very young at 18 and would have to wait around for a couple of years to get your full ATCO License (rememebr you can get a Student ATCO License at 18 which would enable you to commence training at a unit). i say this because there can be a delay in starting unit training at area centres dur to lack of training slots available.