View Full Version : Additional Training

Andy_20
5th Mar 2006, 13:44
If i completed my PPL in a cessna 152 and wanted to complete the IMC would i have to do that in the 152? also is there any difference if i took the IMC in the 152, does that man i could only fly in those conditions in the same aircraft? I bring this up because FS charge different prices for learning in different aircraft, im a bit confused.

Also if i completed my ppl in the 152 what other aircraft am i allowed to fly?

asuweb
5th Mar 2006, 13:58
Firstly, with a PPL you can fly any single engine (piston) aircraft with up to 4 seats. If you did your PPL in the 152, you could fly other aircraft once you have converted to that type.

Complex aircraft usually have a requirement that you have flown in excess of 100 hours before converting.

The IMC is not restricted to a particualr aircraft.

Aircraft hire prices usually reflect the size and complexity of aircraft. Ie, a 152 will be cheaper to hire that a 172 or PA-28.

Hope this helps,

Andy_20
5th Mar 2006, 14:49
So what is the benefit in paying £££ more in doing the IMC in a 172 than a 152?

Do you have to get converted from the 152 to a 172 to be able to fly it for your ppl?

GusHoneybun
5th Mar 2006, 14:51
Most 152's don't have the avionics required for an IMC rating.

asuweb
5th Mar 2006, 14:56
Do you have to get converted from the 152 to a 172 to be able to fly it for your ppl?

At the least you will need a checkout.

Glad Gus added that, forgot to mention it.

High Wing Drifter
5th Mar 2006, 16:16
I did my IMC in a 152. Most 152s I have seen have the same Bendix KX155 NAVCOM as seen in many, if not most, GA aircraft. Just an ADF, VOR/ILS (FM Immune) and DME is required (in addition to the usual COM, XPDR, etc!)

Curtis E Carr
5th Mar 2006, 17:55
Don't misuse or misunderstand this term "convert".

The 152, 172, PA28 and similar, are all within the Single Engine Piston (SEP) class. There is no licensing requirement for additional training to go from one to another within the same class. Nevertheless, any owner, club or school will insist on some form of check before letting you loose on a machine that you have not flown before.

It follows, therefore, that you can do the IMC or even night qualification in any aircraft for which you have the class rating.

Converting is a term on a par with type rating which is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Julian
6th Mar 2006, 12:59
Most FBOs will get you to fill in a 'knowledge quiz' and then send you up with one of their instructors and just give you differences training (i.e. 152 -> 172) and do a few T n Gs. This is especially if you are going from high wing to low wing aircraft where perception is very different. Once they are happy you know what you are doing they will cut you loose in it.

Nothing to stop you going to a complex as soon as you have done your PPL. The 100hrs requirement may be something stipulated by certain clubs before they will let you solo one.

Julian.

Dr Eckener
6th Mar 2006, 13:20
Your SEP rating with your PPL allows you to fly any SEP aircraft below 5700kg which does not require a specific type rating. If differences are involved then difference training must be received, such are rectractable gear, VP prop, turbo, pressurisation. Must clubs/owners will require a check flight prior to you flying their aircraft however, or prior to you flying a different make/model.

The IMC is nothing to do with this. If you have an IMC you can use it in any aircraft you are qualified to fly within the SEP category.

Whopity
6th Mar 2006, 19:00
Your SEP rating with your PPL allows you to fly any SEP aircraft below 5700kg
WRONG! thers is no 5700Kg restriction on a SEP Class rating! That went out with Group A 6 years ago.

Whilst you can do an IMC rating in a C152, the C172 is a much more stable platform. I have taught IMC in both and would not advise anyone to do it in the 152 unless you are so hard up you can't aford anything better, and want to work much harder.

Dr Eckener
6th Mar 2006, 20:28
Thanks whopity. You are quite right. :O Agree totally about the 152 for IMC training as well.