PDA

View Full Version : Guess the cost of the part

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 11:06
When I started flying I knew that it was going to be an expensive pasttime, at least the way I chose to do it it is. My decision to buy my very own aircraft took this to a new level but I thought I had researched the costs from insurance to new engines to resprays to avionics upgrades and thought I could have no big suprises.

Well I have been proved wrong ...

I have just received a quote for a new Cessna 172N door shell. It took a while to get one but it was well worth the wait as it has amused me no end.

The question is how much was the quote? I will accept to the nearest $5,000.
Prize? None.
Clue? I will be looking for a good second hand door!

(This is open to anyone not involved with getting the quote as you will spoil the fun).

James Bond
3rd Mar 2006, 11:32
$18,500?????????

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 11:53
Good guess JB, but you are cold! :eek:

James Bond
3rd Mar 2006, 11:56
Sitting down waiting to hear the exact price.... can't be that much surely???

OpenCirrus619
3rd Mar 2006, 12:05
£257.23 - removed from the one that went through the hedge after a poor (complete lack) of weight and balance calcuation.

OC619

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 12:08
OpenCirrus619 (or anyone else for that matter!) if you know of a good second 172N door (or even two) going anywhere, even if it has twigs sticking out of it, please PM me! :ok:

DubTrub
3rd Mar 2006, 12:10
The cost of a replacement lower cowl is in the order of $30,000..
..so my guess is $23,249.95

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 12:11
Dubtrub, you disappoint me! you are cold! :eek:

Grass strip basher
3rd Mar 2006, 12:38
I'm goin' out on a limb.... $35k.... :ooh:

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 12:43
The door will cost more than a limb! you are cold, but getting warmer! :eek:

EGBKFLYER
3rd Mar 2006, 13:06
:ok: Can't resist - $54,500

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 13:09
EGBKFLYER, now you are being ridiculous :}

Ok, I'll tell you .....

List price, without attachments, spraying or fitting is .... (drum roll)

$41, 437.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I told them I would let them know :hmm:

EGBKFLYER
3rd Mar 2006, 13:11
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I don't think I'm the one being ridiculous!!! That makes car repair look like a Ryanair ticket. I wonder how much a whole Cessna would cost if you bought it in parts like that....

OpenCirrus619
3rd Mar 2006, 13:33
OpenCirrus619 (or anyone else for that matter!) if you know of a good second 172N door (or even two) going anywhere, even if it has twigs sticking out of it, please PM me! :ok:

OK - I'll 'fess up. I've been for an early Friday lunch and was being a little silly :O

OC619

P.S. There was a very sad looking 172 at XXXX a couple of years back which had gone through the hedge at the end of the runway - allegedly well overloaded. Supposedly the pilot had been heard to say "It would have been fine if we hadn't then hit the lamp-post on the other side of the road" :sad:

P.P.S. Can't you get an entire 172N, keep the doors and throw the rest away for only a little more than the cost of 1 of these doors?

Kolibear
3rd Mar 2006, 13:44
$41K - thats impressive!

I'm kind of assuming that its not a door shell for a brand new current model C172, and that a 2006 C172 has a different door to that of a (e.g) 1973 C172.

So its fair to assume that there are no door shells in stock, and that someone, somewhere has the original tooling to make a door outer and and a door inner panel.

Whoever has the tooling will have to fit the tools to a press, stamp out the parts, roll the edges together and prime them.

I'm still assuming that these doors are un-trimmed, no glazing, handles, interior trim etc.

But its still an eye-watering wodge of dosh - £23,587, I do hope that includes VAT.

For that sort of money, you could actual buy a complete C172.

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 13:55
OC619, You are a tease. :{

The thing is my doors aren't that bad but have very slight stress damage where the door stops are fitted to door skin inside. I can get used ones from the States but shipping makes it more expensive, albeit not $41,437.

I could get a 172N shipped over with good doors, swap mine over and sell the Cessna for slightly less due to the doors, I might even make some money.

Kolibear : Yep untrimmed, no glazing etc, just the shell. It's for a 1977 172N.

Barcli
3rd Mar 2006, 14:36
many yrs ago I had both alternators on Seneca "fighting each other" - eventually one failed so decided to replace them both at the same time - about £400 each i think........ " do you want the rubber drives as well ?" said the man from Piper dealer near oxford..... " just as well I say" thinking might add £30 to bill................ £ 1100 + VAT each !!!!!!!!! these are little cotton reel size toothed drive with rubber ( cushion) inserts ---- now that was 18 yrs ago darent think what they are nowadays

dirkdj
3rd Mar 2006, 17:08
Someone recently asked for the price of the nose bug on an early Bonanza. This is the formed metal sheet part that makes up the nose. It is aluminium and weighs no more than 2 or 3 pounds.

The price quoted from Raytheon: 152K $ !.

Better to buy a few used Bonanzas, pick the best part and throw away the rest, it will be cheaper.

DubTrub
3rd Mar 2006, 19:42
One might think these high prices were "finger trouble" upon computer entry, perhaps putting the decimal point in the wrong place.
It would appear not...what they want is for you to buy a new aircraft.
It would be interesting to compare these "current production" spares with those of obsolete models.
DT

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 20:23
what they want is for you to buy a new aircraft.

Good point, although I think Cessna will be disappointed if they are waiting for me to buy a brand new one.

The figures are believed to be accurate, no finger trouble I'm afraid. $414.37 would be nice, I'd take 4 of them!

spernkey
3rd Mar 2006, 20:43
you must sell your 172 as soon as possible - why - because it is the N model. That means cams made of something softer than chocolate ready made to spall on the followers. Dont like the idea of one drive feeding both mags either - wheres the redundancy in that. Check your static rpm to see if your valves are lifting all the way but sell it anyway cos it is going to cost and cost and cost..........Never known H2AD engine (lovingly referred to by all as "the Nail") to go past 1200 hours without major work. If you choose to persevere and end up changing the engine put an 0-360 in(its approved) as these , conversely, rarely dont make TBO. I can be trusted on this matter as i blew my brains in on two of these i bought some years ago - both did the same whereupon i had a delve and discovered loads of people had the same problems. Good luck!

SkyHawk-N
3rd Mar 2006, 21:15
Never known H2AD engine (lovingly referred to by all as "the Nail") to go past 1200 hours without major work

Now you do Spernkey! The H2AD did suffer from spalling under certain circumstances, mainly under use. The 'T' mod, using the correct oil/additive and regular use is the answer to the H2AD 'problems'.

My engine has had the 'T' mod from new, has always used the correct oil/additive and is used regularly. The oil analysis', corrosion checks and compression checks are always very good and it runs sweet as a nut. I have corresponded with a number of other H2AD owners and I hear the same things from them.

Thanks for the warning though, it's good to know you worry about my health :}

spernkey
3rd Mar 2006, 21:54
both of mine were t modded and did 600 hours a year - made no difference with the additive - so i must be just unlucky as they both got me right in the wallet. Not a health issue as only a moron would continue to fly with the horrid noises coming out of an engine that's obviously giving"full power"
Yep the h2ad has the courtesy to advertise its poor health and wont give you a sudden failure unless that lone mag drive pops of course! Good luck

IO540
4th Mar 2006, 12:04
In reality, nobody is likely to pay these prices. So.... where do people get the parts from?

AIUI, if you pick up an old door from some scrapped aircraft, and get an engineer to sign it off as sound, you can install it. The US must be full of aircraft breakers yards.

I'd get onto google.

In this business, "connections" are everything. This comment won't apply to a Cessna door but knowing the real manufacturer of some common part (e.g. a door strut) is very useful info.

Chimbu chuckles
4th Mar 2006, 12:57
I remember some years ago as the Chief Pilot of a corporate jet operation our Falcon needed a new thrust reverser apron. This consisted of several pieces of tin bent cleverly and riveted together....maybe 2' long and 1' wide...total labour time to make maybe 10-12 hrs....US100K...lots of fun going to the bosses with that little gem.:(

Some years ago I replaced the left wing main spar,bathtub fittings and one rib in my Bonanza...US5000. I hate to think what Raytheon would have demanded...I got mine from an aircraft 'recycler' in Oklahoma....it was indistinguishable from a new one.

Hunt around, you'll find one at the right price.

Alternatively get yours repaired. My Bonanza upper cowl (the part that swings open) on the right side has an area in the front corner...maybe 4 inches by a half an inch which has eroded away on the edge..don't ask me how its a mystery to me...replacing the cowling would run to thousands...an upper cowl for a C206 is around US$5000 apparently, about what I payed for my freaking spar:ugh: .

The very talented airframe guy at the place that services my Bonanza suggested he just repair it...he showed me some of his recent similar work on an Ag plane in the hangar...most impressive...cost about AUD$800 he reckons...and its quite a complex shape..when he's finished it will be virtually indistinguishable from new...your door should be a doddle.

You can just about make out the eroded edge in this piccy...look in the blue stripe just above the prop blade and were the cowl edge is.

http://www.fototime.com/{1A40284F-D93F-4728-A9C8-1F4066E67EEE}/picture.JPG

IO540
4th Mar 2006, 17:06
I think a lot of the "remanufactured" parts are in fact the actual original parts, but the maker was prohibited from selling them directly, so they sell them via a connected "remanufacturing" business :O And, having all the certifications, they can issue an 8130-3 or whatever as needed.

You get the same part, same paperwork, at a fraction of the cost.

Contacts...

maxtech
11th Mar 2006, 16:57
In reality, nobody is likely to pay these prices. So.... where do people get the parts from?.

Try Skycraft in Spalding. Lincs.

http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/

$41K for a couple of doors that's outrageous. I had to have the outboard 2-3 feet of my F127H replaced last year after suffering storm damage whilst parked outside. This included a new aileron. The complete wing had to be removed and after three months in the hanger, I was presented (or rather my insurance company was presented) with an obviously reasonable bill of 8,000 pounds sterling.

SkyHawk-N
11th Mar 2006, 18:33
MaxTech, if only mate! $41,000 for ONE door, not TWO :eek:

SkyHawk-N
11th Mar 2006, 18:58
Just for a laugh have a go at this ....

Go to http://www.cessnaparts.com/parts.cfm and search for part 0511803-53

:} or should it be :{

SkyHawk-N
11th Mar 2006, 19:17
Sure have, both.

ChrisVJ
11th Mar 2006, 20:17
You think fixed wing parts are expensive?

I was sharing a hangar with a couple of A Stars. The engineer lamented the cost of a door hinge, a casting about 3" by 2".

$700 US.

I was amazed.

"And" he said " it looks as though we'll need the other half that goes on the frame."

Sir George Cayley
11th Mar 2006, 21:47
Trade-a-plane.com

1000s of ads

And you can drool over the warbird jet section too!

Sir George Cayley

ps Or you can go to Elstree or a similar field under cover of darkness with a screw driver and............