PDA

View Full Version : Sugesstions for a trip to France

sawotanao
2nd Mar 2006, 18:31
Hi, Any good places to visit in France for a long weekend in April/May, got a PA32, 4 Adults, Prob' leave from Elstree/Denham area. Did a quick search, but came up with nothing. Getting bored of LFAT.Prefer the seaside.Appreciate any Ideas or websites to get some gen.Thanks in advance.:ok:

neilmac
2nd Mar 2006, 18:53
I found Dinard/St Malo very very nice

sawotanao
2nd Mar 2006, 18:55
Cheers Neil, I shall look into it.;)

dublinpilot
2nd Mar 2006, 20:02
I thought Belle Ile was very nice. A little further than LFAT, but somewhere different.

It's just off the coast south of Quiberon, west of Nantes.

Somewhere a bit closer is Avranches. I haven't ben there since 2001 but remember it as a very nice little town. It is a grass strip though, in case you need a hard one.

Neither have customs so you'll have to enter and leave France with a stop elsewhere.

dp

sawotanao
2nd Mar 2006, 20:08
Cheers Dub' thanks for your input, I'm looking into them all, the further south maybe the better!

IanSeager
2nd Mar 2006, 20:37
La Rochelle?

Ian

Mark 1
2nd Mar 2006, 20:48
I'd second Belle Isle - very nice island - the only one with fuel.
Arcachon, well worth a look. Its a popular resort with the French.

dublinpilot
2nd Mar 2006, 21:20
I'd assumed from your posting that La Rochelle was further than you were planing. But if it's not, then I would second Mr Seager in recommending it. A really nice place to spend the weekend, especially if you like seafood!

dp

Radar
2nd Mar 2006, 23:40
sawotanao

A third vote in favour of La Rochelle. Fantastic little spot. One piece of advice if you do wander down that way, fuel up on arrival. We had a delayed departure due to "les pompiers" not pumping.

Flying Boat
3rd Mar 2006, 02:10
Another vote for La Rochelle, a lovely little town.
A favourite for the French too.
Towards the old harbour most of the buildings are medieval because it was part of Vichy France in the war so no damage.

Upon arrival at the airport there is a yellow telephone in the doorway to the exit of the terminal. This phone is free for calling a taxi.

I normally book my hotel in advance, Accor Hotels have a few there, the Yachtman is a nice small hotel right on the old harbour & the Oeanide (Basic Mercure) next to the Aquarium & Jacques Cousteau's Ship the Calypso.

Next to the Right hand tower (as you leave the harbour) is an excellent Fish Restaurant & a few meters from that a lovely little Rhummerie - never new so many Rums existed (menu full). I drank a 60 year old Martinique rum, reasonable price.
There are too many good restaurants to mention.

When there try the local apperitif, Pinneau des Charentes - a bit sweet but lovely (fortified with cognac).

If you don't want La Rochelle, you could try Vannes or Quimper in Brittany (South Coast) or Deauville, Normandy Coast, one of Paris's playgrounds.

If you head west stop off at Jersey for cheaper fuel and alot of local knowledge for this side of France.

Whatever you decide, have fun.

FB:ok:

IanSeager
3rd Mar 2006, 16:31
Next to the Right hand tower (as you leave the harbour) is an excellent Fish Restaurant

That'll be Chez Andre, well worth a visit

Ian

Whirlybird
3rd Mar 2006, 16:55
I'll add my vote for La Rochelle. But if you don't want to go that far, fly to Deauville, then take the longish taxi ride to Honfleur - a gorgeous fishing village, though a bit over-touristy, but would be a lovely place for a weekend.

eyeinthesky
3rd Mar 2006, 20:03
Another vote for Honfleur. About 20 Euro each way in a taxi, but in the grand scheme of things in a day's flying not much..

Restaurant La Grande Assiette behind the church is v. good for lunch. A little pricier than the bistros by the water, but good if you are trying to impress. Lunch for 2 approx £50.... Go for the chocolate and pistachio dessert...mmm

Of course, part of the appeal might also be sitting by the water by the mediaeval port.. you pays your money and you takes your choice!

Champion supermarket (on the right 200m walk back up the long straight main street from the port) is a good place to pick some wine or other french goodies if you have the weight available, and taxis will pick you up there. Also lots of chocolatiers in the streets near the church.

St Malo via Dinard also OK, but be careful, as most restaurants in la vielle ville stop serving lunch about 1400 CET. Make sure you also get a receipt for your landing fee from les pompiers or you might get an expensive invoice from the town hall which will take several months to resolve... (bitter experience!)

Another one is Chartres (800m tarmac) SE of Toussus. Short taxi ride into the old town and a very famous cathedral with superb stained glass windows if that's your thing.

bar shaker
3rd Mar 2006, 20:51
Has anyone suggested La Rochelle? ;):ok:

Power Up
4th Mar 2006, 16:26
Did a trip to Biarritz, great town if you don't mind the extra distance. Did our trip as a two ship (2x R22), so wou will be able to make the trip quicker than we did, and with less stops.

3FallinFlyer
16th Mar 2006, 20:36
Neither have customs so you'll have to enter and leave France with a stop elsewhere.
dp

Has anyone ever not done this to/from a small airfield and suffered any consequences (Just curious :hmm: )

BTW Deauville is nice for a day trip!

Zulu Alpha
16th Mar 2006, 21:40
Dieppe is a great place. Much better than Le2K.
They do parachute there so watch for that.
The man in the tower will arrange everything if you give him a call the day before (they don't have resident customs). He was very helpful.
The bar at the airfield will call you a taxi so ask for one about 5-10 mins before you need one. Taxi into town costs the same as Le2K ie about 10-15 Euros and takes 5 mins or so for the journey. When the taxi drops you off ask them to pick you up at the same point at a specific time. Saves the late afternoon taxi hunt.

The harbour is lined with seafood restaurants, slightly touristy but generally better than the run of the mill steak and chips in Le2K. There are also more shops and a couple of small supermarkets. Half a mile from the airfield is one of those giant French out of town supermarkets. So if you pop to Dieppe in your Antonov you can bring back tons of wine etc.

Highly recomended is Auberge du Clos Normand. in Martin Eglise
Phone 0033 2 35 40 40 40

My wife and I stayed and had a great meal. total was 179 Euros for two incl meal, wine and breakfast. Book the restaurant when you book the hotel as it gets very booked up (which is a good sign)

Its not in Dieppe but is 3 miles north of the airfield and 3 miles inland.
We arrived at the airport, took a taxi to the hotel dropped bags and then went on into town. Got a taxi back to the hotel, had a meal and then left for the airport on the Sunday morning.

If you go then please let me know what you think of it.

Make sure you refuel and file your flight plan on arrival as everything gets off to a slow start on Sunday. We left at 11.00 and didn't see anyone, had to activate the flightplan on the radio.