PDA

View Full Version : Repair of King KI 214

Zulu Alpha
2nd Mar 2006, 11:40
Can anyone help with suggestions about where to get a King KI214 repaired.

This is the VOR/OBS with glideslope receiver in the readout unit.. The knicker elastic that connects the knob to the rotating dial has gone AWOL and it need the glideslope receiver checking.

It is about 25-30 yrs old but repairing it will save us ripping out the second (backup) radio/VOR.

Thank you in advance

smarthawke
2nd Mar 2006, 12:10
You could try IAE at Cranfield, 01234-750661.

Zulu Alpha
2nd Mar 2006, 12:40
I've used IAE before and the bill always seems to be over £1000.

I was looking for someone who might be a bit cheaper, who has the bits and an understanding of this old unit which was quite popular in its day.

It is out of the aircraft, I was thinking of sending it to the US where everything aviation is half the price of the UK

IO540
2nd Mar 2006, 12:48
If Southeast Aerospace dot com http://www.seaerospace.com/ can't repair it (not sure if they do repairs) they can flog you something at far less than anything you will pay in the UK, with the 8130-3 form too.

They are a very good firm, very helpful. Only drawback is that UK avionics shops really dislike not making their usual trade margin, so you have to know the right person to install it.

vector4fun
2nd Mar 2006, 14:20
Was told by my avionics shop here in the US that some spares for the KI-214s are no longer available, so depending on what the problem is, it may not be (economicaly) repairable. We traded our old KX-170 and 214 in on a newer KY97 and Collins CDI. You might try shopping eBay for a used unit if you don't want to change radios.
Alternately, Eastern Avionics in Florida still lists reconditioned units for $1095
http://www.avionix.com/indicator.html

A and C
3rd Mar 2006, 07:04
Try Phoenix Avionics at Stapleford 01708 687469 & talk to Simon.

Also it might be worth checking if the KI 211 or KI201 are compatable, if so I have them on the shelf and would let them go at a very reasonable price.

Zulu Alpha
5th Mar 2006, 15:29
Many thanks for the contacts. I'm taking the unit to Mikes Avionics at Van Nuys. He says he has the parts needed whereas most places said they could not get the parts.

Will let you know what happens when he sees the unit.

Zulu Alpha
16th Mar 2006, 21:33
Thanks to all for suggestions. I eventually got the unit repaired at Mikes Avionics in the US for $210.

It needed a new drive belt and the glideslope receiver re-aligning.