PDA

View Full Version : cessna difference?

cessnasey
1st Mar 2006, 16:37
sorry to keep going on about cessna's! but just a quick question...

after a pleasant experience in a 152 last weekend (first time in one) it got me thinking whats the difference in a 152 and a 172? gotta try me a 172 next:)

other than the 172 being a more powerful, is the handling etc the same?

Genghis the Engineer
1st Mar 2006, 16:48
Bigger, heavier, faster, 4 seats instead of two, and if you are as short as me, you can't see over the instrument panel. On the other hand, much more elbow room.

If you can fly a C152 however, the C172 won't represent much of a conversion challenge, broadly they're very similar to handle.

G

cessnasey
1st Mar 2006, 17:02
cheers:ok:

Tinstaafl
1st Mar 2006, 19:41
Its various speeds are *about* 5kts greater compared to the C152. Slightly heavier control forces, a little more inertia, more load arms to consider eg R1, R2, up to 2 different arms for the cargo compartment depending on model, 40 deg flap so **LOTS** of drag available with a resultant consideration if going around, increased fuel consumption but with larger fuel tanks.

S-Works
2nd Mar 2006, 07:20
I own one of a each, a C152 and 172 Hawk XP (wobby prop etc). If you can fly the 152 you can fly the 172 with ease. The numbers are virtually the same for approach. The 172 is a very stable platform and perfect for instrument flight. When mine comes back from it's annual in a couple of weeks it will also returning with a full Garmnin IFR mode S fit. Very exciting!

cessnasey
2nd Mar 2006, 08:08
hey thanks for the replys.one more question, what does wobbly prop mean?

effortless
2nd Mar 2006, 08:26
hey thanks for the replys.one more question, what does wobbly prop mean?

Someone forgot to tighten the nuts.:}

Variable pitch. Sorry

cessnasey
2nd Mar 2006, 10:54
:eek: started questioning if learning to flys such a great idea for a min. he he.

effortless
2nd Mar 2006, 16:53
You're lucky I didn't tell you about the new rubber props that have been brought in for school a/cs. saves on repairs when they dig the nose in. They replaced the spring loaded ones.:} :}