PDA

View Full Version : plane drivers?

jonnydi
22nd Feb 2006, 14:32
I was in my mates Cessena the other week and i got a bit confused whilst watching him do his stuff on the controls. Am I right to believe that the two pedals on the floor control accelertaing and braking. Also, does the steering wheel make it go up and down or does it put landing gear down.

Thanks,
Jon

The SSK
22nd Feb 2006, 14:36
Was it a manual or an automatic (ie, what did the gear lever look like)?

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2006, 14:37
All correct so far jonnydi - and also you need to know that the thing spinning on the front is a fan to keep you cool inside the cabin. Bigger aircraft like the ones you go on holiday in have aircon, so don't need a big fan on the outside.

cessnasey
22nd Feb 2006, 14:55
:hmm: he he

Lister Noble
22nd Feb 2006, 14:57
A lot depends on the model,was it right or left hand drive?
:confused:

stiknruda
22nd Feb 2006, 14:58
Jonny di,

I can offer you proof that the whirly fan thing at the front is for pilot cooling..............

I start to sweat like a peadophile in Mothercare when it stops!:ooh:

Stik

robin
22nd Feb 2006, 15:19
I still use hand signals

Lister Noble
22nd Feb 2006, 15:46
(Did it have indicator lights on the wing tips or bars that pop-out from the body? )
That's rubbish!
They stopped fitting the bar type indicators a long time ago as they will not retract above 50 knots,in fact there have also been some problems with the bulbs blowing out in gusty conditions.
Jonny,
Don't be put off by some of the flippant replies as some of us are really trying to help you.
:}

Confabulous
22nd Feb 2006, 15:52
Wait till BoseX gets here - he'll tell you that his C152s don't even need steering wheels, as the landing gear doesn't go down :}

Seriously - very good questions, never got the hang of the accelerator/brake thing myself - mine keep swinging me left and right for some reason - must be broken.

AerBabe
22nd Feb 2006, 17:24
Was the handbrake on the floor, as it normally is in a car, or was it operated by a lever on the dash?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
22nd Feb 2006, 18:05
I would advise against selecting reverse gear.

jonnydi
22nd Feb 2006, 18:08
Thanks for all your great help guys!

Was it a manual or an automatic (ie, what did the gear lever look like)?

Sorry I was so enthused that I didn't notice, but he did keep pushing some thing on the dash in and out and the noise of the fan changed!

mine keep swinging me left and right for some reason.

You should really get that looked at or you could have your Plane Drivers License taken off you.

I am just getting into this planey thing so any more information would be appreciated.:D

AerBabe
22nd Feb 2006, 18:20
[...] he did keep pushing some thing on the dash in and out and the noise of the fan changed!

Really? Did he look nervous at all while he was doing that? If not, he's a very good actor! Watch out when someone's pushing the fan-noise-altering-knob; it's generally a good idea to assume the brace position (stick one thumb under each shoulder strap).

stue
22nd Feb 2006, 19:39
and cross your legs

Sir George Cayley
22nd Feb 2006, 20:11
The wagglely thing in the middle is dual porpoise.......

If your hero pirate wanna go up......he pull back. Fields get smaller.

If he wanna go darn........ he pull back a bit more. Fields get bigger!

And sometimes spin arournd a bit. Hence the fan on front as you'll notice he's started sweating loike a piggy.:eek:

Don't forget to wave madly at anyone you see after landing and laters in the bar repeat after me.

"There I was, nuffink on the clock 'cept the makers name........."

Priceless

Sir George Cayley

jonnydi
22nd Feb 2006, 20:50
Wait a minute!
Are you guys being sarcastic with me?
Damn I only wanted some information on something I was curious about. This forum sucks!
Okay I may seem a little stupid, but wouldn't you if you were on a forum about flower arranging. I think I've made my point.
Farewell,
Enraged Jonnydi :mad:

Pitts2112
22nd Feb 2006, 21:19
This guy must be the most inept troll ever to grace this forum. But some of the replies have been great entertainment!

Pitts2112

BRL
22nd Feb 2006, 21:20
..............and on that bombshell........... **Click** :}