PDA

View Full Version : BAE systems ATC Course

ldsnodden
22nd Feb 2006, 00:04
Hello there,

I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions on the BAE systems ATC course. I recently was unsuccessful in my NATS selection, and although I will give it another go, I am very interested in taking the BAE systems ATC course at Cwmbran.

Also, what is recruitment at airports like? I appreciate that NATS provides the majority of ATC over the UK, but am also lead to believe that airports have their own ATCO units?

Thanks in advance.

Liam

niknak
22nd Feb 2006, 12:50
As far as know, BAe Cwmbran are as good as anyone, but you may wish to have a look at ASTAC (who were at Rudloe near Bath but are shortly moving to Gloucester Airport).

May I suggest that you do a bit more homework first, NATS may well employ more atco's than anyone else in the UK, but they certainly don't provide ATC at the majority of airports.

The majority of regional airports employ their own ATC staff, and whilst it is be the case that they advertise for atco's externally when the need arises, most of them also have their own atco training schemes.
In your instance, you could expect to be employed as an ATC assistant for around two years before you'd be considered for any ATCO training scheme. You'd then be assessed, and if suitable, sent on the various courses and once qualified and validated, expect to be bonded for around three years (sometimes less).

You could of course, take the plunge and pay for the courses yourself, this would commit you to around £50K by the time you've paid for accomodation as well. But this is a big risk, cos' you'll still have the debt if you fail, and when you pass, you've still got to get a job afterwards.

I would suggest that you send in your very best CV to the Manager ATS at a couple of nearby airports, then, even if you do get a standard "no vacancies" response, ask to visit the ATC unit and also make an appointment to see the ATS Manager, to sell yourself for any future opportunities.

If you do get such an opportunity, make the effort to find out some of what goes on there before you go and don't be afraid to ask questions when you get there.
Good luck.

Dizzee Rascal
22nd Feb 2006, 17:27
Hello there,

I was just wondering if anybody had any opinions on the BAE systems ATC course. I recently was unsuccessful in my NATS selection, and although I will give it another go, I am very interested in taking the BAE systems ATC course at Cwmbran.
Liam

I've done a few courses at the BAe Systems Training College, thoroughly recommend them 100%. I'm sure you have done your homework, but in case you have finished it yet- the BAe Systems Training College website is: http://www.amsjv.com/baetraining/home.asp (http://www.amsjv.com/baetraining/home.asp)

There have been a few questions on here asking about the different colleges so a search may prove beneficial.

If you want any specific info regarding BAe, PM me!:ok:

siam
22nd Feb 2006, 19:36
Dont give up on NATS I did not get in on my first attempt but they where foolish enough to take me on my second attempt.

ATCO51
25th Feb 2006, 12:20
You may be interested in the website www.astac.co.uk. Give them a ring.