PDA

View Full Version : CX F/O-RAPID COMMAND

dalflyer
21st Feb 2006, 23:19
Does anyone have any idea why CX is now what seems to be hiring direct entry 74 Skippers? WOW (http://www.flightglobal.com/Jobs/2006/02/21/1503056/B747+FO+-+Rapid+Command.html) It seems funny that these are the same requirements asked for by SIA Cargo. Are there no takers in Europe for the 747 Captain Position?
Dal

SMOC
22nd Feb 2006, 00:25
This is for the "Classic" Freighter thus the Freighter Pay and Conditions.

CMD slots are available on the classic, but nobody on the PAX fleet wants the pay cut for a Classic CMD.

A CMD on the classic freighter means until the S/O above you on the senority list has done his CMD on the PAX fleet, you will remain on the classic (about 10 years).

So you may get a rapid CMD but it will take just as long as an S/O to get a CMD on the pax fleet, if you have no intention of a PAX CMD that won't bother you.

V1V2VR
22nd Feb 2006, 00:28
Haven't heard of direct Captains...

I am interviewing next month for a -400 f/o slot and feel 3-4 years for left seat is about accurate.

A fellow Deltoid, attempting to do my part at contributing to the approximate one F/O per day we are losing

petitfromage
22nd Feb 2006, 03:52
Quite obviously the advert is not for DE Capts but for Freighter FOs.

Once you're on the inside of CX you can apply for early Commands (on the freighter). After 3yrs, you can apply to transfer back to the pax fleet and thereby find yourself 2-4yrs ahead of your course mates.
To the best of my knowledge the transfer back is at the discretion of the company (someone wiser on these matters can correct me).

Obviously gaining an early Command has a few hurdles. You have to have an acceptably experienced background, have a shiny record at CX wrt to check & training and in your simulator proficiency tests etc and finally, you have to pass a review board who looks at all the above plus, in short, whether they "think you fit".
They also throw you in the sim for an unscripted LOFT exercise.
All going well, you can then start your early Command course.

One of the 2nd Officers starts his Command Course on the Classic Freighter in 3 weeks.
Several FOs have taken early Commands by jumping to the Freighter......but this is the 1st SO to give it a nudge.
I hope he does well and inspires a few others to apply.

dalflyer
22nd Feb 2006, 12:46
It's good to see some S/O's giving it a try and I wish them all the best. The advertisement itself is a litle misleading with its "Rapid Command" headline but I'm very glad to hear that the seniority system is truly alive and well at CX.
I wasn't trying to get a "rise" out of people. I just wondered what they were alluding to. I guess an upgrade in 3 yrs would definately seem like a "Rapid Command" given the nature of upgrades occuring at the "legacy" carriers in the USA.

cpdude
22nd Feb 2006, 14:08
Yes they are recruiting Direct Entry Captains but only on to the 74 classic!:bored:

PIA747
23rd Feb 2006, 04:46
what is the age limit for Classic DECs at CX?

Pointer
23rd Feb 2006, 18:15
R.E.A.D. the add people... its for FO's ... who then can quallify for Rapid Command :cool:

Pointer :E

whodunnit2
24th Feb 2006, 04:03
Hearing some strong rumours from those in the know about DE F/O's in the next year or three on the passenger fleet.

Anyone else heard the same talk?

cpdude
24th Feb 2006, 05:23
R.E.A.D. the add people... its for FO's ... who then can quallify for Rapid Command :cool:
Pointer :E

Yes the add does say F/O's but give recruiting a call if you have the experience and the desire you will get the left seat call shortly!:ok:

SMOC
24th Feb 2006, 08:48
The Ad has been suitably updated,

"B747-200F First Officer - Rapid Command"

bigbeerbelly
24th Feb 2006, 17:31
I recently interviewed in NY for DEFO. I am still waiting on the results, hopefully I am on to stage 2. We'll see on Monday. I called on Friday, but the results were not in yet. Anyways, my question is since I have dual citizenship (US/German) and would be happy to fly the B747-200 in Europe, should I call and let the ladies know or should I just wait and see if I make it to round 2 then mention it. Would it help my chances of getting in to CX by offering to be FRA or EU based?

Thanks,

BBB

cpdude
24th Feb 2006, 20:38
I recently interviewed in NY for DEFO. I am still waiting on the results, hopefully I am on to stage 2. We'll see on Monday. I called on Friday, but the results were not in yet. Anyways, my question is since I have dual citizenship (US/German) and would be happy to fly the B747-200 in Europe, should I call and let the ladies know or should I just wait and see if I make it to round 2 then mention it. Would it help my chances of getting in to CX by offering to be FRA or EU based?
Thanks,
BBB

I believe it would being that they are finding Classic recruits difficult to come by. :)

bigbeerbelly
24th Feb 2006, 20:56
Thanks for the advice. I can't believe I let that slip in the interview. I really should have mentioned that I am willing to go back to EU. After the interview I felt GREAT. The next day I felt very wiery of my answers. I always second guess myself.

Thanks again,

BBB

Sqwak7700
26th Feb 2006, 05:01
Back to the quick command upgrade on the Classic freighter. It was my impression that the latest change to the basings agreement says you are now committed on the basing for 6 years, not 3. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And I thought they also split certain areas like North America into Canada and US. I think this is fairly recent, like last month or so.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

propaganda
26th Feb 2006, 08:41
Anyone know if the rapid command PROSPECT is not just a cunning ploy to get guy's on to the classic freighter ......in the RHS with 6k hrs....EK had the same idea running and look what happened there lots of DEC'S. I'm always sceptical.....;)

Fly747
26th Feb 2006, 08:57
Spot on prop!
Can you imagine, "Hi, I'm the new guy been recruited for rapid command."

Big Picture
26th Feb 2006, 12:54
"A CMD on the classic freighter means until the S/O above you on the senority list has done his CMD on the PAX fleet, you will remain on the classic (about 10 years)." SMOC

Just thought a few of you might like to know that trainers on the Classic Freighter fleet have the seniority to move over to the PAX fleet but have been frozen on the freighter until further notice. The Classic freighter roster involves LOTS of days at work so these individuals are apparently a little tired and unhappy.

I understand that the failure rate on the classic command course at CX is the highest in the company 60% or so. Clearly a difficult aeroplane to fly in a company which has the reputation for difficult command upgrades.

When you consider that the combined remuneration (housing allowance plus pay) of a CX SO with the full housing allowance is paid roughly the same as a classic captain, the numbers don't really add up do they?

IF you get an ego trip out of having a few extra stripes on your shoulder go for it, but if you want a lifestyle and a career on a less demanding aeroplane to fly, go the SO route would be my advice.

BP

corporal klinger
26th Feb 2006, 15:38
command upgrade failure rate classic 53% .

cpdude
26th Feb 2006, 16:59
command upgrade failure rate classic 53% .
Training system failure rate 53%!

Is it command training or command checking?
When the training system can get thier failure rate down to less than 15-20% then maybe they can call it training.:ok:

jtr
26th Feb 2006, 22:03
"Just thought a few of you might like to know that trainers on the Classic Freighter fleet have the seniority to move over to the PAX fleet"

It will be a quite a few years before they can move to the pax fleet as Captains.

Big Picture
27th Feb 2006, 03:33
JTR,

There are already some training captains on the Classic Fleet with the appropriate seniority to move over to the PAX fleet as Captains but they have been frozen on the fleet until further notice. They have been on the fleet quite some time and want a more "user friendly" roster.

I was just outlining that the swap to PAX fleet may not be easy to orchestrate!

BP

petitfromage
27th Feb 2006, 05:38
The move from the Freighter to Pax fleet is not guaranteed.....the CX Recruiting webpage has been updated with some of the details: http://www.cathaypacific.com/careers/en/choices/0,,128404,00.html

Quote:

Normally freighter crew will operate Freighter Aircraft for not less than three (3) years from the date of the successful Aircraft Line Check or forty-two months from Date of Joining, whichever is less. At the end of this period, crew may continue to operate Freighter Aircraft or they may bid to operate Cathay Pacific Passenger Aircraft. Should a crew member be successful in their bid to operate Passenger Aircraft, the crew member will retain their seniority, and will commence employment on the Passenger Fleet as a First Officer. Officers will be considered in seniority order however appointments to the passenger fleet are subject to vacancies being available and other requirements and may require relocation to Hong Kong.

Liam Gallagher
27th Feb 2006, 07:35
Big Picture,
I can't think of a Classic Trainer with a Seniority Number before 1 Jan 2000, so none will have seniority to hold a pax command.

Back on topic, for those thinking of joining CX on the freighter and grabbing a quick command the emperical evidence would suggest it happens very rarely. For those completely new to CX, the quickest I have seen it done is about 18 months and even then the number of successful candidates can be counted on one hand!!

Whilst not disputing the claim in the advertisement is technically true, it is a sales pitch, and as such needs to viewed in that light.............

jtr
27th Feb 2006, 07:56
BP... the only ones who are eligible to slide across in the left seat are those who went to the classic from the pax fleet seniority list. I am not that familiar with the fleet, but can't think of any that went across who are now trainers. AR is the only one I could think of, but after his recent article in Screw Yous I don't think he could survive having a classic amputation.

Yes guys have come from a classic command to the Pax fleet, but they were already entrecnhed on the Pax seniority list, not direct joiners to the freighter.

SMOC
27th Feb 2006, 09:50
750 is about the point CMDs are up to on the PAX fleet.

966 is the most senior Captain on the classic (1st Jan 2000) excluding those on extension and AR.

1410 is the most Junior JF/O.

1850 is the most Junior S/O.

So when the PAX CMDs reach 966 the Freighter Captains will start to become eligible to move to the PAX fleet, however as petitfromage said appointments to the passenger fleet are subject to vacancies being available and other requirements i.e. CX will not allow them to leave unless they can be replaced.

mgcastrol
10th Mar 2006, 02:26
Thanks,
BBB

Hello I a from South america .
And would like to know what type of questions you got at yours .
Anything would help thanks .
Pegasus

VR-HFX
15th Mar 2006, 12:12
I would say that anyone with Classic command time is a shoe in.

They are trawling the old farts on the 744 who have Classic command time...not too many takers me thinks as, to most who still are on their first spouse, retirement looks better than what we have become.

Good luck to all who want to join, good bunch on the trash haulers.