PDA

View Full Version : Prescott's Persecutory Phobias

cavortingcheetah
16th Feb 2006, 02:54
:yuk:

This may be news to some but here from darkest Africa is a note wich has just reached me. I wish that the the sender had used John Prescott as the runner with the cleft stick. I would have made arrangements for him to be killed, cooked and eaten en route. I suppose that such sentiments breach the new anti-terrorism act and could therefore get me arrested and held incommunicado for 28 days; but I'm not on shore.
Funny place these days is England.:rolleyes:

Dave Calderwood
Editor-in-Chief, LOOP newspaper
www.loop.aero

15 February 2006

WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SAVE BRITAIN’S AIRFIELDS

This is not a false alarm. This is the real thing.

A new definition of airfields as ‘Brownfield' sites has been sneaked into planning guidelines by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister - John Prescott’s dept.

If this goes ahead unchallenged, then ANY airfield with a building on it could be sold for development as a housing estate. Local councils, businesses and individuals would be powerless to object. There would be no need for large scale planning inquiries such as that happening over North Weald right now. Developers could just go ahead – and they will.

We could lose many of Britain’s airfields within ten years - the pressure for land for new housing is so great that these prime sites would be snapped up.

WE HAVE UNTIL 27 FEBRUARY 2006 TO ACT! DON’T DELAY!

The proposed change was sneaked in as a change within an Annex. It wasn’t even part of the full consultation document.

Was it deliberately hidden like this, or did someone forget to point it out? We don’t know but the change was only spotted last week – too late for inclusion in the latest issue of LOOP newspaper.

Hence this email – it’s the only way we can mobilise pilot and public opinion and register objections to the change before the 27 February deadline. We have consulted with the General Aviation industry and we have their full support.

Indeed, the whole of the GA industry, from flying clubs to engineers to pilot shops and airfield managers is also doing its bit.

WRITE TO YOUR MP!

A letter by post is the best form of communication. It’s a physical object which your MP cannot ignore. Imagine MPs standing up in Parliament waving handfuls of letters from constituents demanding that the Deputy Prime Minister explain his dept’s underhand methods!

Emails, phone calls, face-to-face meetings all have their place too. We have to let the Government know the consequences of their actions, whatever it takes.

HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE KIND OF LETTER YOU COULD SEND TO YOUR MP:

Dear Sir

I would like to make you aware of a proposed change to planning guidelines by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister which could have a devastating effect on this country’s aviation industry.

Planning Policy Statement 3 (PPS 3) has been developed to progress the Government’s agenda to provide a national policy framework for housing. It says previously developed ‘Brownfield’ land sites should be considered for housing development.

The existing PPG 3 section defines ‘Previously Developed’ land with two example exclusions, hospital grounds and an airfield.

In the revised PPS 3, the definition has been revised and the airfield exclusion has been omitted.

My objections are two-fold:

First, this would almost certainly lead to airfields being closed for redevelopment. General Aviation is a big and valuable industry, supporting many jobs and essential services as well as providing recreational facilities for private pilots, of which I am one.

Second, most of these airfields are in rural areas with insufficient infrastructure to support such huge housing developments. They would change the character of much of rural Britain.

Finally, I also object to the sneaky way this change has been introduced - slipped in an Annex which would not normally be read by the parties involved in the consultation process. It has come to light with less than two weeks left of the consultation process – which ends on Monday, 27 February.

I would be grateful if you could voice our dissatisfaction with this proposal.

More information on this can be found at www.loop.aero

Yours faithfully

PLEASE WRITE TODAY TO YOUR MP!

Don’t delay. Tell your flying friends about this too - and if you live near an airfield you might want to let your local councillors know that they might have a huge new housing estate on their doorstep within a few years.

Find out the contact details for your MP at: www.locata.co.uk/commons/

Copy the letter to:
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
Planning Policies Division (2)
Zone 4/J5
Eland House
Bressenden Place
London SW1E 5DU
email: [email protected]

Background material and references to the planning documents are available on LOOP’s website: www.loop.aero

Thank you for your attention.

By the way, this is the sort of ploy used to turn golf courses into housing estates. One building of any sort on site and bob's your uncle, a housing slum.
Cheerio!;)

Say again s l o w l y
16th Feb 2006, 06:44
Get writing everyone. If this doesn't get stopped asap, then we could all be in a lot of trouble.

B***dy two Jags..........

Kolibear
16th Feb 2006, 07:30
Guys,

This is VERY IMPORTANT.

It won't take a moment to write a letter and will cost the price of a stamp. Its something we need to do if we want to keep flying. This affects ALL airfields, the next one to face closure could be yours.

RVR800
16th Feb 2006, 08:27
Well Ive sent mine to DC

CherokeeDriver
16th Feb 2006, 08:36
www.faxyourmp.com is quick - effective and free.

Randomtox
16th Feb 2006, 08:47
My letter(s) have just been sent !

dwshimoda
16th Feb 2006, 09:35
Sent mine.

Prescott is one of the biggest threats facing this country.

BEagle
16th Feb 2006, 09:42
Have just e-mailed the PM-in-waiting, David Cameron.

Quite a few 'disused' aerodromes in Fatty 2 Jags' constituency, if I recall correctly?

A and C
16th Feb 2006, 10:04
At last a few of you seem to be getting fired up to use some political pressure.

Lets have a bit more of this to protect GA.

As you will have no doubt guessed I have writen to my MP on this subject.

charlie-india-mike
16th Feb 2006, 10:11
Done..................................fax sent

C-I-M

OpenCirrus619
16th Feb 2006, 10:12
As you will have no doubt guessed I have writen to my MP on this subject.

Ditto.

OC619

BEagle
16th Feb 2006, 11:08
I have already received a reply from David Cameron's assistant promising to see what can be found out.

I actually asked DC ".. to write on my behalf to the Deputy Prime Minister, voicing my dissatisfaction with this proposal and seeking explanations both for the reasoning behind this amendment and the method by which it was introduced."

Keep up the pressure!

Sedbergh
16th Feb 2006, 11:27
DC's my MP so I've written to him and 2J's office.

Trouble is, I've a nasty feeling that 2J will just be happy to screw up more of "the rich" i.e. private pilots & rural dwellers

A and C
16th Feb 2006, 12:09
I have just had an email from my MP who is raising my objections to the changes in PPS 3.

CherokeeDriver
16th Feb 2006, 12:35
Can confirm Anne Milton who looks after North Surrey has confirmed that she is going to question the Deputy Prime Minister on this matter (I have also asked her about the legality of conducting a consultation in this manner).

As a thought any people out there doing Aviation University degrees (up Leeds way?) or anyone know some people on the courses?

I'm sure if the student population could be mobilised along with all of the flight schools and PPLs then the numbers will be greatly increased - and by the very people that maybe won't have anywhere local to continue / start their ATPL training!!

**UPDATE - just found out that my MPs personal assistant used to work as the PA to the Director of Planning at the Regional Assemby. This means she has many personal contacts with senior civil servents within the ODPM. She has confirmed she will be copying my MPs letter to the Minister to the national Director or Planning.** Lets keep the volume of letters high though just to make sure they sit up and take notice. Geeezzz - whatever next? Having to pay for a share of NATS costs will be my guess ;-)

strafer
16th Feb 2006, 15:25
I read that LibDem MP and private pilot Lembit Opik was trying to set up a House of Commons flying club.

You can email him from here:
http://www.montgomery.libdems.org/Contacts.htm

simonhk
17th Feb 2006, 10:05
Letter sent to Paul Beresford, Cons. MP for Mole Valley.

Be aware that you should alter the example letter above, otherwise it may be ignored...

SimonHK

splang
17th Feb 2006, 10:47
Letter sent to my MP and 2J

Max AirFactor
17th Feb 2006, 13:55
Five minutes of my time well spent.

Job done. Sent to J. Horam, Orpington plus J2Jags.

Floppy Link
17th Feb 2006, 14:38
email sent to my MP using the emergency services view of things...eg how much use is my helicopter for a road accident in the highlands if I have to go to Edinburgh to refuel after dropping off the current patient in Dundee?
Loss of refuel options for the Air Ambulance will cost lives. Simple. :mad:

Grass strip basher
17th Feb 2006, 16:44
I will be bombarding my MP until I get a response... well spotted whoever managed to dig through the small print.... amazing they can try and slip through a significant change in stance in such an underhand way.... makes my blood boil.:mad:

m5dnd
17th Feb 2006, 16:49
Paul Beresford, Cons. MP for Mole Valley contacted..

I'm concerned how this could effect the future of Dunsfold..

and Moderator.. Should not the title of this thread be changed to something more appropriate.. "Airfields in UK under threat" or something ??.. Might get more people to write then !!..

SkyHawk-N
17th Feb 2006, 17:03
Has anyone out there got the means to tow BIG banners around the skies?

Skyhawk.

Ripline
17th Feb 2006, 19:14
Thanks for setting up the PayPal account - made it easy for me to contribute :) www.northwealdairfield.org (http://www.northwealdairfield.org)

Also written to Andrew Smith - he's usually responsive. 2J's as well, not that he'll take much notice as it was his department that sneaked the change in anyway.

This topic is SO important for GA - shouldn't the various threads be merged, Mods?:D

Have fond memories of being taken by my Dad in the 50's to park near the end of the runway (on the public road) and seeing the mixed squadrons of Hunters, Vampires and Meteors taxying up to the end, turning and burning!

How wonderfully exotic was the smell of avaition kerosene in those distant days :{

Good Luck to the Cause. It must be a fantastic feeling knowing that the locals support the airfield activities. The variety of public interest activities taking place have GOT to be an important part of the Inspectors' assessments.

Ripline

pulse1
18th Feb 2006, 13:51
Letter to MP duly sent.

Today's Telegraph has a short article which refers to the Tories (Gerald Howarth) attacking John Prescott's office on "surrepticiously sneaking this change through". According to the Telegraph, a spokesman for 2jags said that the policy had not changed and that the ODPM would now happily consider reinstating the missing wording in the draft.

More weasley, sneaky words in my opinion. Keep the pressure up.

bar shaker
18th Feb 2006, 16:33
Interesting article in today's DT.

Gerald Howard (Chairman of HoC Aviation Committee) has got the ODPM to admit that the special protection afforded to airfields was missed from the new guidelines by an editting error.

It will, they say, be added into a revised edition.

egbt
18th Feb 2006, 16:43
Bar shaker,

It will, they say, be added into a revised edition.

I don't have the paper to hand but I think they said they would be "delighted to consider" changing it back

edited to add (as per pulse1 above) and

e-mail to Tony Baldrey (Banbury) sent Friday.

MikeGodsell
18th Feb 2006, 19:45
:uhoh: For goodness sakes people! This is the first real opportunity to create French style airparks in this country. Always such propositions have been squashed by council planners in the past. Now a pilot/developer could create a flyers dream and make a lot of money as well. Imagine your aeroplane parked in your garage or at your front door.

MG

night hawk 150
19th Feb 2006, 10:08
Hi

Just a quick note to say i have send off to my local MP and 2jags the fat :mad:

anyway i was thinking of contacting Anglia news and local rag to help voice our concerns and was wondering if i actually contacted them and got there support is there anyone out there that would visit ipswich to show support.

long live GA Airfields and help us to continue a great way of life.

Craig

old-timer
19th Feb 2006, 10:42
Wrote my letter - also sent by e mail,

useful link to find your local MP is;

www.writetothem.com

(good to check/confirm on google also)

I emphasised the importance for the local air ambulance & police choppers
plus of course, aviation industry & leisure !

The emergency service part may carry more clout perhaps -
get writing guys & gals !!!!

Stafford
19th Feb 2006, 13:14
No point in writing to Prescott, the hypocritical working class Luddite. He'd have to get someone to read him the big words, like "the" and "and" anyway.:hmm:

Bob Stinger
19th Feb 2006, 15:45
Letter gone in

robin
19th Feb 2006, 16:57
Perhaps I should be writing a second letter now asking for the ODPM to be investigated on the grounds of either incompetence or vindictiveness.

If they admit it was an 'editing error', then there should be no question about the original protection being reinstated it should be restored now.

NL have a habit of trying things on, to see if anyone notices, and if they get found out, they don't quite restore the status quo ante.

This needs further close watching

BEagle
19th Feb 2006, 18:37
And how many other 'editing errors' might there be?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/2jags.jpg

"Tha' can trust me, tha knows....."

egld0624
20th Feb 2006, 10:05
BEagle - now that is a sight for sore eyes!

Dear all, with links provided above the vast majority of MP's are in one way or another able to receive emails. I'd like to take this one stage further and draft a letter also highlighting the merits of GA, its significance and economic impact and that it isn't a pursuit followed by (just) the landed gentry! As mentioned before it's not surprising that MP's may view it as a pastime for the wealthy if exposed to a corporate jet to get them around the country on an election campaign etc.

Question: does anybody know where I can obtain a short but credible outline of economic specifics relating to the population employed, number of companies & schools and contribution to UK PLC's bottom line by the GA sector?? AOPA?

Kind regards,

EG:ok:

MikeGodsell
20th Feb 2006, 15:39
:ugh: Hmm...perhaps I had an un-characteristic attack of optimism! This is indeed serious, with the prospect of "social housing" for the "underprivileged" being built all over our precious airfields.
The more we protest the better. New labour :yuk:

MG

chrisN
21st Feb 2006, 01:40
egld, there is not yet an economic study completed, but one is under way and almost there. Some of the data collected for the study are available as reports.

See http://www.gaac.co.uk/ and click on news, and then GASAR:

"The GASAR study was initiated in 2001 by the GAAC and co-sponsored by the Department for Transport. The study is part of a PhD programme at University College London, UCL. The thesis when published will be titled “An assessment of the socio-economic role of Britain’s general aviation industry and its significance to England’s land use planners when considering the contested existence of small aerodromes”. The seven reports listed below have been made available to the General Aviation Strategic Review (GASR) teams. " Etc.

Chris N.

wsmempson
21st Feb 2006, 08:11
Sent my letter over the weekend to Karen Buck (my local MP and Minister for Aviation) so we'll see what happens.

Surely there is an argument to be made, in the case of the historic wartime airfields where many of our pilots lived, worked and died, that redevelopment of this land would really be quite an offensive act - I mean, no one would consider sticking a Tesco's on to of the site of the Battle of Naseby....would they?

egld0624
21st Feb 2006, 08:56
Chris N. Many thanks. I'll have a thorough look at the link you've kindly provided etc. Glad somebody has sponsored such a report/research and that it's is near completion. IMHO GA needs as much positive justification as it can obtain right now without being thwarted by misconceptions and ill advised decisions and policies at local & national government levels. (Although I do take note that it is co-sponsored by the DOT).

Much appreciated,

robin
21st Feb 2006, 09:01
From 'the other site:

>>>Reply from local MP as follows:

"Thanks for your e-mail. I have followed this up and understand that ODPM
is now admitting that the policy has not changed (despite its omission
from the new guidance). However, worryingly, the latest statement from
the Department says only that they are CONSIDERING reinstating the
missing wording. I will, therefore, chase this up to seek an assurance
that it WILL be reinstated.

Thank you for alerting me to this issue.

Best wishes"<<<<

Keep up the pressure

charlie-india-mike
21st Feb 2006, 09:27
Got a reply from my MP Andrew Selous today.

C-I-M

Kolibear
21st Feb 2006, 11:27
A lovely phrase from the GAAC website :-

'A mile of road leads nowhere, a mile of runway leads everywhere'

bcfc
21st Feb 2006, 16:41
I've sent mine using Writetothem.com (http://www.writetothem.com/)

I have also offered to fly my MP to one of our rural airfields, just so he can see what we're talking about, get him more engaged and maybe we'll get another advocate.

Fingers crossed and may the flees of a thousand camels infest 2Jag's voluminous armpits

pulse1
23rd Feb 2006, 15:54
There was a feature on this on Meridean News last night. It was based on Old Sarum which would be a prime site for housing development, we nearly lost it to housing a few years ago. They didn't do the argument much good as they drew the conclusion that it wouldn't happen without consultation. I thought that the whole point was that, if the guidelines are accepted, this process would be short circuited.

They also interviewed the owner of Tarrant Rushton as if it was the same situation without making it clear that TR has not been an active airfield for many years. Of course, with the present state of farming, he would love to sell it for development.

It was rather a pointless piece of journalism in my view. Probably cost a bit too as they had a Luscombe doing some air/air and air/ ground filming. I enjoyed that.

egld0624
24th Feb 2006, 13:05
Just wrote to George Galloway (my MP) highlighting that London's beloved Air Ambulance service at Whitechapel covering the M25 area and based at Denham may face serious disruptions if this policy goes through and London inches out further seeing the a/d gone.

Web site with further info has been updated:

www.navex.aero

night hawk 150
24th Feb 2006, 20:42
Great Feedback from my PM today.

From Sir Michael Lord M.P

Dated 23rd Feb 2006

Dear Mr. Richardson

Thank you for your fax dated 19th February 2006 expressing concern about the proposed changes to the definition of brownfield sites.

I have read your letter with care and i share the concerns you express about this matter.

like you i think that the way the government proposes to introduce these changes without proper or indeed any consultation is quite unacceptable.

i have, in fact, already written in the most robust terms to the minister telling her of my deep unease with the way the government is planning to introduce these changes and as soon as i have her response i will write to you again.

well i think this is a great reply and look forward to the next letter.

Craig :ok:

S205-18F
27th Feb 2006, 08:11
I have written to my MP today and await a reply! Lets see if I am heard or ignored! Will keep you all posted.
John.

Sedbergh
27th Feb 2006, 09:44
Got an automated email response from David Cameron's office 10 days ago saying that he gets a lot of emails since being elected leader but that he'll be in touch (he is my MP as well)

Nothing to date -bit disappointing:confused:

simonhk
27th Feb 2006, 09:57
All, reply is as follows:

Thankyou for your letter regarding the proposed changes for the planning guidelines relating to previously used airfields.

I understand that the Office of the DPM has now stated that this was a regretful ommision. It is their published intention to rectify this and return matters to the present situation.

I hope this solves the problem.

Yours etc...

Well, perhaps a genuine mistake then? Maybe we all assumed the worst?
But maybe it wouldn't have been rectified if we all hadn't had conniptions?
And maybe thay are all two-faced, corrupt conniving etc...
I guess we'll all be keeping a close eye on this to see if the ommision actually gets put back in...

regards

SimonHK

HiFranc
27th Feb 2006, 09:59
From what I've heard on Radio 4, writing e-mails has virtually no effect as e-mails are quick and easy to do. Writing (and posting) a snail mail letter is more effective as you have to put more effort into doing it in the first place. If I remember the discussion on last week's You and Yours correctly, I think the expert lobbyist was saying that if you send an e-mail you are assumed to be voicing your own opponion. If you write in politicians assume that at least 5,000 other people share your views.

OpenCirrus619
28th Feb 2006, 07:50
Thank you for your letter of 16 February about the proposed changes to the planning guidance. It was kind of you to let me have your views.

I can wholly understand why you are so concerned and I can only say that I agree with you entirely. It is quite wrong that John Prescott should change the planning guidance in this manner and you have my full support.

I am sorry to say that it is entirely typical of his approach to planning in general and Kent in particular. It is yet another assault on our whole quality of life and is totally unacceptable.

In view of the serious nature of the issues you raise, I will write today to Mr Prescott personally. I will let you know as soon as I receive an answer.

On nice House of Commons paper as well :ok:

OC619

Romeo Romeo
1st Mar 2006, 09:42
I got a letter from Dr. Nick Palmer today that said:-
Thank you very much for your letter of February 16th. I've made enquiries, and understand from the Department that no change of policy was intended - the consultation document evidently omitted the reference to airfields in error.

pulse1
1st Mar 2006, 12:33
My MP, Robert Walter, has tells me that he has received a number of letters and that he shares our concerns. He takes the trouble to show the difference between the PPG3 and PPS3 footnotes:

PPG3

"The curtillage is defined as the area of land attached to a building. All the land within the curtillage of the site (as defined above) will also be defined as previously-developed. However, this does not mean that the whole area of the curtillage should therefore be redeveloped. For example, where the footprint of a building only occupies a proportion of a site of which the remainder is open land (such as at an airfield or a hospital) the whole site should not normally be developed to the boundary of the curtillage. The local planning authority should make a judgement about the site layout in this context, bearing in mind other planning considerations......"

The equivalent footnote in Draft PPS3 is different:

PPS3

"The definition of curtillage is subject to the interpretation of the Courts and regard should be had to case law. All of the land within the curtillage of the developed land will also be defined as previously-developed."

He tells me that he has written to Yvette Cooper MP, Minster of Housing and Planning and will let us know her response.

m5dnd
1st Mar 2006, 16:51
Received response from Paul Beresford MP for Mole Valley today.. Obiously a standard letter as it's identical to the letter that Simonhk on message 49 received. Identical letters we send will be ignored but not the other way round :confused:

Not sure what's going to happen now, lets hope for a better outcome !!..

Nik

Oxeagle
1st Mar 2006, 17:19
Sent an e-mail to my local MP Ed Vaizey and to the office of 2jags not exepecting a reply at all. Yet to my amazement, there was a reply from my MP, even on house of commons paper! :eek:

Does anyone know if there is any sign that 2jags is reconsidering yet?

robin
2nd Mar 2006, 08:14
The saga has now has even made Private Eye.......!!!

nigelisom
2nd Mar 2006, 15:18
Julian Brazier M.P. for North Kent replied to my letter today, saying that he was also writing to John Prescott and would let me know in due course the outcome.

I wait with bated breath!

Nigel

tmmorris
2nd Mar 2006, 16:00
It was reported in the Telegraph (last week? can't find it on their website) that 2Jags had climbed down on this, so this does support the comments made elsewhere on this thread by some MPs.

Tim

HelenD
2nd Mar 2006, 17:25
I recieved a letter from my MP yesterday, he said housing was needed but not necessarily in green spaces and there should be a debate as to where the housing gets put. He dis say dissused airfields could be used and I guess as they are not working airfields that should possibly be OK. He did not like the fact the changes were tucked away in an Annex he said the proposals should have been in the main document for consultation.
He has written to 2jags and will forward the response when he gets it.
I guess it is still a case of watch this space.

S205-18F
3rd Mar 2006, 10:09
I have just this minute received a reply from my MP Rosemary McKenna and she states that she was not aware of the reclassification of Brownfield sites but has written to 2jags office and will get back to me with an answer! She also points out that in Scotland the planning related matters are a Scottish Executive decision but maybe influenced by 2jags, this too she is investigating. So here is hoping we have stirred a hornets nest and may get a result!!! Watch this space.
John.

robin
3rd Mar 2006, 10:43
Just out of interest, is there a Civil Service complaints mechanism that can be used, or an Ombudsman where issues of maladministration can be raised and investigated?

UL730
3rd Mar 2006, 13:10
Wrote to my MP - (strong Labour seat - North East UK). Specifically referred to the existing PPG 3 section that defined “Previously Developed” land with two example exclusions, hospital grounds and an airfield. Helpfully pointed out that in PPS 3, the definition has been revised and the airfield exclusion has been omitted. Thereafter some sensible objections and rationale…..

Received a reply with some parsimonious waffle about low cost airlines damaging the environment, T5 encroaching on those poor souls living around Heathrow, noise pollution at Durham Tees Valley and thanks for your interest.

What planet do these people come from?

I thought - yeah – you can definitely count on my vote next time we all hang around the polling booth in a state of reflective indecision.

Good to see the “oversight” has now been remedied and that all the Cabinet can get back to serious issues – like “who’s breached the ministerial code this week”

robin
3rd Mar 2006, 13:38
The problem is that some MPs have interests different to normal people. They are either share-holders or directors of development companies or activists for an interest group - you just can't tell.

when you look at the ex-aviation minister, who resigned cos she found transport a boring job - she wanted to get involved with anti-poverty stuff. So guess how important she thought aviation was?

kevmusic
3rd Mar 2006, 14:53
My MP added his voice to the side for proposed closure of Rochester airport. Should I even bother......? :rolleyes:

Kev

dwshimoda
4th Mar 2006, 08:02
Surely there is an argument to be made, in the case of the historic wartime airfields where many of our pilots lived, worked and died, that redevelopment of this land would really be quite an offensive act - I mean, no one would consider sticking a Tesco's on to of the site of the Battle of Naseby....would they?

Tesco would! :ok:

On a serious note, got a reply from my MP today, Mark Lancaster, which looks like it may be a standard reply, as it sounds like HelenD's response - loads of waffle about housing being undoubtedly needed, etc.

He does make a some valid points, but interestingly he has hand written a PS which says:

"PS This issue was raised in the house today"

The letter is dated 2nd March - anyone heard what was said in the House?

DW

HiFranc
4th Mar 2006, 08:08
[...]
He does make a some valid points, but interestingly he has hand written a PS which says:
"PS This issue was raised in the house today"
The letter is dated 2nd March - anyone heard what was said in the House?
DW

It'd be in Hansard (just about to look up the on-line version).

dwshimoda
4th Mar 2006, 08:26
HiFranc - great bit of info - never knew that was available. Had a trawl and found this:

"Mr. Henry Bellingham (North-West Norfolk) (Con): I do not know how much the Leader of the House knows about planning, but it appears that Her Majesty's Government are changing the planning status of airfields by characterising them as brownfield sites. Of course, we need more affordable housing in the countryside but surely such a far-reaching change should be properly consulted upon.

Mr. Hoon: I am sure that a far-reaching change would be consulted upon. Obviously, it is important that the appropriate planning rules should be applied to specific circumstances. I have no doubt that that will happen and I assure the hon. Gentleman that there is no significant change in Government policy on that."

So well done to Henry Bellingham, but it does seem to have been brushed aside rather quickly and easily.

If you follow this link: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/ and type "airfields" into the search field, it does show that the issue has been raised quite a lot.

HiFranc
4th Mar 2006, 08:32
Raised in both Houses:

House of Commons:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=muscat_highlighter_first_match&URL=/pa/cm200506/cmordbk1/60228w01.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=muscat_highlighter_first_match&URL=/pa/cm200506/cmordbk1/60302w01.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=muscat_highlighter_first_match&URL=/pa/cm200506/cmordbk2/60306o01.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=muscat_highlighter_first_match&URL=/pa/cm200506/cmordbk1/60301w01.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=st_36&URL=/pa/cm200506/cmhansrd/cm060302/debtext/60302-08.htm#st_36

House of Lords:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/cgi-bin/newhtml_hl?DB=semsimple&STEMMER=en&WORDS=airfield&ALL=&ANY=&PHRASE=&CATEGORIES=&SIMPLE=airfield&SPEAKER=&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&ANCHOR=muscat_highlighter_first_match&URL=/pa/ld200506/minutes/060227/ldordpap.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match

And then repeated for every day this week.

{edit}You're welcome, DW.