PDA

View Full Version : Help Please??

Londonboy29
15th Feb 2006, 09:29
Hi Guys...I was after some help and had a couple of questions I was hoping for some feedback on.
1) I have recently started my PPL ground school using the Thom books. I initially thought of going to Florida for the flying, but don't really want to spend a day just to get the visa. There is a 2 week intensive course at UK Flight Training that is coming to about £5,000.
The first question is would anyone know of anywhere near London where I can do the JAA PPL flying that will be close to this price...including all of the landing fees etc?? (ie an all in price)
2) I also wanted to know if one can immediately start on the ATPL book work immediately after completing the PPL...even though there is still the CPL etc to do?
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!
LB

Mark 1
15th Feb 2006, 10:27
If budget is paramount, I think you can obtain the JAR-PPL on touring motor gliders, and then do the differences training to be able to fly other single-engine piston types. The advantage is that motor-glider training can be had for as little as £60-70/hour, and will provide nearly all the skills you need for more conventional SEP (and a few you don't need also).
There is a club in Oxfordshire, that I know of, that may be suitable.

I see no problem starting the ATPL ground school reading early, though its probably a good idea to get the PPL exams out the way first. There isn't a time limit on completing a distance learning course. A provider should be able to sell you the training material, and credit you later when you officially register for the course.
You need to have passed CPL or ATPL exams before starting CPL flight training anyway.

edymonster
15th Feb 2006, 11:21
hi there

I did my ppl at biggin hill (south east on the outskirts of london). They have a load of flying schools there including cabair, which will be the most expensive. Biggin Hill is a really nice aerodorme and you are bound to get some good practise with jet traffic. So if you go down there have a look at all the flying schools. I would recommend EFG nice people and instructors and nice laid back atmosphere. They do the PPL for £4995 in a 152 and that includes so many landings and circuits and oen attempt at all the groud exams and obviously 45 hours training. Note though the skills test and radio practical exam are not included. Have a look at their website www.flyefg.co.uk.

regards

ed

Oxeagle
15th Feb 2006, 23:11
Hey There,
I've just started my PPL at Enstone airfield with Enstone Flying Club. They have a pretty nice modern fleet, which consists of a DA-20 Katana, Warrior, TB-9 (Which i'm doing my training in), TB-10, TB-200, TB-20 and DA-40 Diamond Star. Although they don't offer packages, if you do the maths and work it out a JAR-PPL course comes to around £5k using the DA-20. Although i'm training on the TB-9 i've been up in the DA-20 and its a joy to fly, very easy, simple and has good performance specs. The instructors there are a great bunch, and they aren't in it for the money either; if they feel that the weather is still alright to fly in but will not be very benificial to the student they will reschedule for a better day regardless of the fact that they could still take you up anyway - basically they put you first. Also, the club itself has a really friendly and welcoming atmosphere about it, and so do the other members! I know its a bit of a trek from London but some of the members do actually come from there, so if you're over in the West side of London it might be an option for you. Here's a link to the website http://www.enstone-flyingclub.co.uk/
Hope this helps! :)

Egnatia Instructor
16th Feb 2006, 10:10
Instead of going out to the States, look at Europe, Africa etc.. £3-4k plus a good holiday? See the back pages of Pilot Mag etc

No need for visa's, better weather and relativle easy to get too?

Egnatia:ok:

strafer
16th Feb 2006, 16:21
Although they don't offer packages, if you do the maths and work it out a JAR-PPL course comes to around £5k using the DA-20No it doesn't Oxeagle. Would £7,000 not be nearer the true price?

mcgoo
16th Feb 2006, 16:49
1) I have recently started my PPL ground school using the Thom books. I initially thought of going to Florida for the flying, but don't really want to spend a day just to get the visa.
LB

your'e listed as in london already, the visa takes about 2-3 hours, why wouldn't you bother doing that to save a few grand???????

YYZ
16th Feb 2006, 17:13
You can get the PPL on the DA40 abroad cheaper than 5K anyway?
All depends on what aircraft you want to do your PPL on?
If it's all down to cost then the UK is out to start with.

YYZ

A and C
16th Feb 2006, 17:25
Londonboy29 check your PM's

Londonboy29
17th Feb 2006, 11:25
Many thanks for all of the replies guys...!!

Re: the visa, another problem I anticipate is if I do an intensive 2 week course in Florida (as I work full time), I'm just a bit concerned at the relative quality against doing it more spaced out in the UK??

Also, I've been told that due to the perfect weather in the US, when you get back to the UK you are going to need some 'conversion' hours in any case, just to get used to the UK weather. In the words of my first instructor at Cabair in Elstee...the US trained guys 'don't have a clue'...although I'm sure that's an exageration!

On a slightly seperate note, would any of you have opinions on how airlines would view candidates who have been on a paying first officer position...I know it's been discussed before but just thought I'd get your views??

Thanks again.

LB

Londonboy29
17th Feb 2006, 11:27
Also...re: Europe or Africa...would anyone have the names of any good JAA schools?

Thanks again.

LB

mcgoo
17th Feb 2006, 16:10
I'm just a bit concerned at the relative quality against doing it more spaced out in the UK??
Also, I've been told that due to the perfect weather in the US, when you get back to the UK you are going to need some 'conversion' hours in any case, just to get used to the UK weather. In the words of my first instructor at Cabair in Elstee...the US trained guys 'don't have a clue'...although I'm sure that's an exageration!
LB

doing it intensive i found was better as you don't have to go over things again that you did in your last lesson as can happen if you leave long gaps between lessons.

US weather is far from perfect, florida especially has severe tropical storms and hurricane season, i lost at least 4 days flying due to high winds. i went in november and the wind was regulary gusting to 23 kts, it's irrelevant really anyway as our solo wind limit was 16kts!

you will have to have conversion training i think the average is about 3-4 hours, i suppose it depends where you go, i did 1 hour over here and was checked out!

its rather a sweeping generalisation by your instructor as surely every student is different!

delmouzos
19th Feb 2006, 23:17
Ive heard about that new school in Greece that offers PPL for under 5k. A friend also said that they are planning to get some nice new aircraft (pos DA40s).

strafer
20th Feb 2006, 15:19
the words of my first instructor at Cabair in Elstee...the US trained guys 'don't have a clue'...although I'm sure that's an exageration!
Do you ever wonder how all those US trained airline pilots manage to not only find their way over the Atlantic, but manage to land at UK airports without bumping into each other? It's because your instructor is talking out of his arse.

If someone has a financial incentive, they can and will tell you lies.