PDA

View Full Version : New RTW record by Steve Fosset

Ripline
11th Feb 2006, 16:19
After diverting to Bournmouth following generator problems, Steve Fosset has just landed safely!

(I Wondered why he made a 110 degree turn south of Oxford).

Congratulations in order, I think. He now holds records in nearly everything except helos. What a guy.

Ripline

TheOddOne
11th Feb 2006, 16:32
No doubt it won't make the news, due to there being no cameras there at the time of touchdown? Excellent news he's down & safe. I watched the progress on the Mission website - the moving map showed what was happening, but all other info very scarce until after the event.

These things just don't seem to excite people nowadays. My father went to Croydon to see Charles Lindburgh arrive from Paris - apparently nearly one million people turned out - can't imagine that happening today!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

foxmoth
11th Feb 2006, 17:30
Latest on Sky says he is going to carry on to land at Manston - seems strange To do this rather than just stay at BOH with how tired he must be - which is I presumed was why he did not continue to Manston with the duff generator , though the site says that if they had not got him down within 15mins he would have had to ditch the aircraft??? Does anyone know why this might be?

Ripline
11th Feb 2006, 18:46
Well, just a guess. "Total electrical failure" meant no, or reduced, flight instruments. Also, no canopy heater, coming down from height had much reduced vis because of icing on the front of screen. Landing at Manston would have been pushing it because of the light. Reported "only" 200 lb fuel remaining (how do they know without guages working?) = sensible to declare Mayday and ask for nearest airfield with suitable runway. No point in risking everything when you've already got the record. The burst tyres on landing probably give some indication of how difficult it is to land the thing in perfect conditions. Good call and airmanship, I'd say.

At least the Bournmouth to Manston leg was in something a bit more comfortable. I chuckled at the Sky team trying to fill. I had no idea that "Manston airfield was in Bournemouth" ;)

Ripline

foxmoth
11th Feb 2006, 19:29
Not arguing that it was not the right call, just questioning the statement on the site if they had not got him down within 15mins he would have had to ditch the aircraft, whilst I can see things would have been a little tricky with no electrics and iced up screen I think ditching thea/c would have been a bit over the top!

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2006, 19:40
Not many places to ditch twixt Oxford and Manston! But, no great shortage of long runways if required.

Damned impressive achievement, just wish I'd been involved.

G

Stoney X
11th Feb 2006, 20:54
I nipped past bourenmouth on the way back from a mates house. The mobile phone piccies are crap so I won't bother posting them, but at least I've seen a bit of aviation history :D

Regards
Stoney

DubTrub
11th Feb 2006, 20:56
Damned impressive achievement Hear! Hear! I've dived into Bournmouth before on a diversion too, but not after THAT kind of flight.

Considering the forecast, the (second) transatlantic flight is impressive.

Mind you, rumour has it that he knows a good chip shop in Bournemouth.