PDA

View Full Version : Southend

TotalBeginner
10th Feb 2006, 11:18
Hoping to fly to Southend for the first time tomorrow (weather permitting)

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received. :)

vindaloo
10th Feb 2006, 11:40
Hi,

I went to Southend for the first time a few weeks ago. Very straightforward really, got a left base join for 24 when arriving from the south. Nice long runway. I went up the tower for a quick visit - they were very friendly and spent 20 minutes showing me round everything. Enjoy!

Vindaloo

bar shaker
10th Feb 2006, 12:17
Its a nice long runway for a 737, so you should be OK in an SEP ;)

Call up nice and early and do as you are told, simple as that. Oh and don't call them Southend Radio, they get a bit sensitive about that :}

TractorBoy
10th Feb 2006, 12:40
Only been there once myself, but they're very friendly and helpful. It's a good place to go, no PPR required if you've qualified, just call them in plenty of time. I was given a downwind join on 24 (RH circuit) - nice and easy. And I got the tour of the tower as well - they seem to be more than happy to show you around if you ask. Landing fee is about £18 I seem to remember.

Cricket23
10th Feb 2006, 13:04
...agree with all the above, plus there's ATIS to listen to either inbound, or as start of your start-up process when outbound.

....seem to remember that that sarnies were pretty good to!

In all honesty, I was a bit nervous about going there as it's a 'proper' airport with big areoplanes, but the folks are very helpful.

C23

Cusco
10th Feb 2006, 13:23
As said before: get the ATIS in bound as well as pre-start.
And remember to read back clearances accurately.

Grub's not bad either.

Enjoy it

RodgerF
10th Feb 2006, 13:38
ATIS inbound is not necessary. It is not an inbound ATIS anyway. Outbound yes please. Amongst other things it will tell you if the Tower frequency is open.

TotalBeginner
10th Feb 2006, 14:32
Thanks guys!

Do you have to get clearance to start?

Cricket23
10th Feb 2006, 15:15
No, no clearance required prior to starting a SEP.

J.A.F.O.
10th Feb 2006, 15:21
And remember it's "Sarfend Approach". :)

TotalBeginner
10th Feb 2006, 15:40
:) :) :) Thanks J.A.F.O, i'll try to remember! :E :E

Zulu Alpha
10th Feb 2006, 16:27
Southend is quite good if a little expensive. Its main advantage is that you can just turn up and clear customs. If you're going abroad they will sell you cheaper fuel and help with the drawback and flightplan so the higher landing fee is reasonable value.
I have also had to wait ages for their Avgas tanker so call for fuel when you are taxiing in. Last time I was there trying to do a 30 min turnaround on my way to Guernsey I had to wait almost 2 hrs for fuel and so missed lunch in Guernsey. They were very apologetic but I didn't get any reduction in landing fee.

Sleeve Wing
10th Feb 2006, 16:57
Cricket 23.
No, no clearance required prior to starting a SEP.

Sure, there's no need to call but doesn't hurt to let them know you're on the way. Gives a good impression.
Can also save a lot of time-wasting at the hold (and fuel) when they know they've got a number of "big" inbounds.

Sleeve. :ok:

TotalBeginner
12th Feb 2006, 10:08
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I was a bit nervous about going to Southend, mainly due to the fact that I would have to route quite close to the southern edge of the Stansted CTR.

But yesterday I took the bull by the horns and off I went. The nav ended up being quite straightforward. I tuned in BPK and LAM to ensure that I didn't stray too far north, and the trip was very straightforward.

ATC were very friendly, and gave us right base join to runway 25 (very handy) But most of all the guy in Flight Operations was extremely helpful! All in all, a very nice trip, and despite the slightly more expensive landing fee, I would recommend a visit, just for the experience! :ok:

Martin Barnes
13th Feb 2006, 18:04
just curious

What is expensive to you Private guys.

I think Southend is super cheap!

How much is it ? What are u Flying ?

What do you think it should cost ?

GrahamK123
13th Feb 2006, 20:15
'And remember it's "Sarfend Approach". :)'

Actually its 'Sarfend Radar' :ouch:

TotalBeginner
13th Feb 2006, 20:54
Sorry, that wasn't worded very well. It's more expensive than your usualy "airfield", i.e. £10.00 landing fee. But for the facilities, and compared to the other "London" airports, it was quite cheap. I paid £27.00 in total for a PA28, which included the landing fee and parking for the day.

Lister Noble
14th Feb 2006, 08:04
For comparison
£19 Cambridge
£13 Norwich
Lister

Red Four
14th Feb 2006, 09:22
Lister,
Where did you get your charges from??
I make the Cambridge price £25.15 (VAT to be added)
and Norwich £20.20 (VAT to be added)
For a one tonne aircraft, parking between 2 and 24 hours, no handling.

RodgerF
14th Feb 2006, 09:25
'And remember it's "Sarfend Approach". '

Actually its 'Sarfend Radar'

Only between the hours of 0900-1800.

Pendant hat off :-)

bar shaker
14th Feb 2006, 09:27
'And remember it's "Sarfend Approach". :)'

Actually its 'Sarfend Radar' :ouch:

Personally I use Radar for FIS/RIS and Approach if going in.

Lister Noble
14th Feb 2006, 09:48
Red Four,
I will check it out but I'm sure I was charged £19 at Cambridge last month,I parked for about 15 minutes and also £13 for a long-run touch and go at Norwich ,time to retract flaps etc,and was told it was the same price for landing.
Both times with a PA28-180.
Lister:)

GrahamK123
18th Feb 2006, 23:38
'Personally I use Radar for FIS/RIS and Approach if going in.'

I always thought that -prob the way to do it- but the guy they've got at the moment gets very grumpy if you call him 'approach' and replys with 'G-XXX southend RADAR :* pass your message' (emphasis on the radar bit!)

old-timer
19th Feb 2006, 10:37
SEN gets my top vote - great Wx record & friendly staff - it's so handy for x channels too, good clubs on the field also although I miss the original
club (long gone sadly) at the rear of the tower - happy BAF prop days !

cheers & enjoy

Lister Noble
22nd Feb 2006, 11:12
Lister,
Where did you get your charges from??
I make the Cambridge price £25.15 (VAT to be added)
and Norwich £20.20 (VAT to be added)
For a one tonne aircraft, parking between 2 and 24 hours, no handling.

R4
Just got my bank statement.
Two landings at Cambridge,Marshall Aerospace ,both for around 10-15 mins and £19 a time
One Norwich £12.34,touch and go same cost as landing.
All with a PA28-180 ,pilot and one passenger.
Lister:)