PDA

View Full Version : When did you start your training, and where are you at now?

energie
10th Feb 2006, 04:56
For some reason i'm feeling quite survey-frenzy today ;)

When did you start your pilot training? and Where are you at now? (ie flying 737 for xxx airline)

I'm 25 now, and for some odd reason I am starting to feel too old to start my journey into this industry :S

Rainboe
10th Feb 2006, 09:00
energie, does it matter? What counts is you not everyone else! You have to weigh up the eventual benefits against the costs of getting yourself there. At the moment it seems the Canadian industry is in great doldrums benefits-wise, and that should be included in your deliberations, but better to make your own decisions based on you rather than draw too much on experience that is probably irrelevant to you.

learboys
10th Feb 2006, 09:20
Hi there
Well if thats the case folks like me should rather pack my bags and go. I've been involved in aviation for 18 years now, started when I was 18 and am a licenced aircraft engineer who didn't have the money or a rich dad, I only started flying when I was 26- finished my PPL over 4 years, I was told these words by a fellow "just fly, dont worry about the hours, they will eventually come" that is exactly what I did. I am now 36 and am writing my last ATPL subjects. As for work prospects well I have close to a 1000 hours now and being involved in maintenance I have been lucky getting hours, but never the less I'm living a dream. I am now currently unemployed as I have taken some time off to study and complete the exams.

What you must bear in mind, the aviation industry is full of surprises, there are various ways to get to your goals. Not all pilots start flying with the Airlines. Easy jet are amoung a few who take on low hour pilots amongs others, alot come out of the the charter industry. I met pilots who fly for the airlines who were crop sprayer's and lots more that were bush pilots. Airlines employ pilots up to the age of 45+. Its demands, a shortage of pilots and they shake the tree and if you fall out with the right hours they will employ you.

Aviation is a demanding job, and alot of folks dont realise it, if you dont like learning, well you not going to have alot of fun being a pilot. Once you start you will never stop, its like you never left school, there are always exams to write, getting new ratings on your licence and flight tests not to mention the costs. Aviation is a bottomless pit, you will pour alot of money in and it never ends. It boils down to spending a large fortune to make a small fortune,but the rewards, I'm sure alot of pilots will agree are worth every penny right down to the last cent.

I think if you read up you will find that being a pilot, it seldom happens where you just get a lucky break, but some do. Most have to go the long way, I am in no way trying to discourage you, merely trying to show you and highlight some of the pro's and cons. At 25 you still young and you have alot of flying ahead, I wouldn't give up so easily, if you really want to fly you will make a go of it, but bear in mind it takes alot to get to the top.

Have fun and enjoy your wings

pilgrim flyer
10th Feb 2006, 09:42
Got my JAA CPL/FI at the tender age of 46, FAA CPL/multi/IR the year before. Doing my JAA IR and IRI this year, am now 49. I wanted to fly from the age of 9 but allowed various diversions to be too effective.

Bottom line- if you want to do it enough you will, if not the flying world will get on fine without you! Who's loss?

PF

Dream Land
10th Feb 2006, 13:00
Not sure of your goals as a pilot but if you enjoy flying I'd say go for it, if you are a highly motivated type you can move up quickly, I am kind of a lazy type and still managed through the years, can't remember a flying job I didn't like!:ok:

Do as much networking as possible, aviation is a very small world.

chasing767
10th Feb 2006, 15:30
energie!

just go for it!
I'm 25 now, and for some odd reason I am starting to feel too old to start my journey into this industry :S
are U kidding? not to say that You may be too young but definitely (!) not too old, young bloke.
a friend of mine started his aviation carrer at the age of 32 with PPL and through his 30ies became ATP for some carier operating turboprops in Europe.He is the cpt now as far as I know ( haven't heard from him for 2 years or so).

stop pullin' our legs and move Your a....s.
good luck!

energie
10th Feb 2006, 16:59
Sorry guys.

Enough fishing for comforting words from me. I'll tackle these licenses one at a time! or by selling a limb at a time :)

but i have to say, it's nice to hear success cases, so keep them coming if you don't mind sharing!

JW411
10th Feb 2006, 19:03
1957 Scottish Flying Club, Perth, DH82A Tiger Moth. Just about to retire after almost 50 years of productive flying and I would do every minute of it all over again.

If you really want to do it then get out there and bl**dy well do it whatever it takes! Good luck.

Start4&3
10th Feb 2006, 19:11
I started flying at the age of 27 and after 10 years, I am now flying right seat on the 744 for a major airline in Asia. It's never too late, but I felt the same way when I was doing my commercial pilot training, I remember telling my instructor not to give me extra lessons because I don't have much time to waste. :)

Akuji
10th Feb 2006, 19:20
Hey start4&3,

Just curious where in Asia are you a pilot? ive always have a dream of flying in asia in the future. Would you say ill have the opportunity after i finish my integrated course?

Thanks

window-seat
10th Feb 2006, 22:22
energie

I didn't graduate from uni till I was 24 and then spent 5 years in an office job! Did my PPL in 2000 (age 29) and went on (after selling everything I owned - and then some) to get my fATPL in 2002. Did an FI course and some instructing in 03 before RHS with regional operator. Now RHS 757 with large charter company and lovin it!!!:D

If only I'd started at 25!!!:rolleyes:

W-S

Start4&3
10th Feb 2006, 23:39
Hey start4&3,

Just curious where in Asia are you a pilot? ive always have a dream of flying in asia in the future. Would you say ill have the opportunity after i finish my integrated course?

Thanks

I fly for a major airline in Taiwan and my airline currently hire expat pilots with lots of experience; average total time of 4,000hours with some jet time.

skysoarer
12th Feb 2006, 00:03
For some reason i'm feeling quite survey-frenzy today ;)
When did you start your pilot training? and Where are you at now? (ie flying 737 for xxx airline)

25 eh? Well I started my training at 25, and I'm 26 now and almost finished the course! (Cabair integrated student) ... Get out there and go for it! HSBC may pull the Professional Studies loan, so be quick! They may have already pulled it but worth a look or a chat with a local aviation friendly branch. i.e. Bedford or the central Oxford branch.

Sky

energie
12th Feb 2006, 00:58
That's great. it looks like after finishing the Cabair program, you will have your CPL + IR right? what's your next step?

Flying Mechanic
12th Feb 2006, 07:18
Got my CPL at 26.....first flying job at 30 (with 430 hours)...first job was bush flying in Oz(flew 182,206,PN68 and BN2), did that for 2.5 years.......then Caribbean for 9 months(flew 402/Aztec/Seneca)....now at 36 I am Captain on a Beech 1900 in the Middle East with over 4000 Hours.
Every job I had I knocked on the door. It took me 4 years post training to get my first job and in that time I spent every penny I had on flying/gaining hours......so dont give up!

Pilot Pete
12th Feb 2006, 11:46
Started PPL in 1997, age 29. Now 737 Left Seat wth Thomsonfly having previously been 757 rated with jmc, then Air 2000 and DHL before joining Britannia on 757 and 767 before moving to the left seat last summer. The 'full monty' story of my journey through training is a sticky on the Professional Pilot Training forum.

It can be done and you are younger than most starting out on this road!!

Good luck

PP

haughtney1
12th Feb 2006, 11:54
PPL in NZ 1991...CPL NZ 1996..flew the Bandierante, stopped flying went to university..emmigrated to the UK in 2000, converted licenses in 2002, Got a job flying B200, then full time C208, now right seat B757 ATPL...767 course on the horizon, and job offers all over the place:} !

-8AS
12th Feb 2006, 12:26
Haughtney1, we must be related! Did my PPL in NZ early 90's, went to University and continued flying completeing CPL/IR and FIR in '96. Did a bit of instructing and flew a C208B ad hoc, emigrated to U.K. in '98. Spent 2 years converting licenses (couldn't afford to do it any faster), instructed for a year after that, now a Training Captain on a B737-800. My how things change!

haughtney1
12th Feb 2006, 12:40
Yeah!!

You probably grew up down the street from me:}

skysoarer
12th Feb 2006, 13:23
That's great. it looks like after finishing the Cabair program, you will have your CPL + IR right? what's your next step?

Yep! You finish the course with a CPL + IR (with a multi-engine rating Only), and an MCC course. You can't go wrong with any of the major flying schools really, as they're all top notch. One thing that helped me with the ground exams was a login to Bristol Groundschool (http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp. The feedback there is excellent, and *mostly* correct. It's my understanding that the Oxford feedback cd has been updated to fix some errors in my older cd, so that wasn't as useful to me personally.

I will be adding the single engine rating to my license, as it's not included in the package. That will let me do the normal single jo-blogs flying at the weekend thing, rather than having to hire a twin!

My next step? First time I/R pass please! I'm on a course with the flyBE sponsoree's from last year, and it sounds such a good airline to work for (perhaps not in money terms initially), so they will be receiving my first application. There is presently a BA scheme where, if you average 85% or better in your groundschool exams, I *think* 75% in flight tests after PT2, and a first-round I/R pass, your flying school can recommend you to them. First-round I/R pass includes if you Partial-pass then pass the resit.

The one thing I've found annoying is the Da-40 aircraft. They are much better now but, during the first block, more were in Maintenance than online so getting a flight could be difficult. They are lovely things to fly though, and powerful for a training aircraft, with a good panel. The DI's can precess quite a bit as they're air driven, and I swear they're ordered with Weetabix tokens. If you're thinking of starting with Cabair soon, you may do your twin training on the new Diamond Twin-star (Da-42). I know most of the instructors have trial-flown one brought in, but they're still on order I *believe*. The ones I've seen are fully EFIS equipped, and probably fly your I/R for you.

Overall, I personally recommend visiting all the schools and see how each works with you, and go with the one you like. 25 isn't too old... :)

Sky

Sphinx
12th Feb 2006, 14:15
Started flying at 28. Took a year to complete my PPL while working. Took a year out did my professional licences. Began working for my old employer again until I got my first commercial job @ 31.5 yrs young (don't you just hate that phrase?).

Got my first jet job @ 33.5.

You are nowhere near too old. Organise yourself and tackle each hurdle in turn.

lennu
21st Feb 2006, 12:11
I started my training when i was 20. 4 years later got fATPL and ME/IR. After more than a year of unemployment (and 8 hours of flying) i managed to get a contract as a pilot flying multipilot/turboprops.I had almost given up with hope of getting a job as a pilot:{ but im glad that i didnt take any of the other jobs.So my advice would b Keep looking and sending ur CV to as many places as u can:ok:
lennu

scroggs
21st Feb 2006, 13:39
Started as a glider pilot in 1970, at 15. Started training on jets in the RAF in 1977, age 21. Became a captain on Hercules in 1983, age 27. Became an RAF QFI (instructor) in 1987 on Bulldogs and, later, back on Hercules. Joned Virgin on the B747-200 in 1998. Moved to the A340 in 2002. Currently doing command conversion.

Have somewhere around 14000 hours (must do my logbook!), but only about 10 types: Jet Provost T3/5, Hawk, Hunter FGA9/T7, Jetstream T1, Hercules C1/K/3, Bulldog, Chipmunk, B742, A343, A346. Flown (but not operational on) several others: Lightning, VC10, Tristar, Tucano, Robin, Seneca, Chinook, Sea King, HH53, and probably a few others!

In other words: been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

Scroggs

AFA
21st Feb 2006, 15:07
Started flying in 1997 aged 18. Flew heavy turboprops at 19 then A320's and A330's. Now RHS on A340-300/600's.
You are not too old but you're not too young either. In fact you're probably about the best age to start.

buzzc152
21st Feb 2006, 15:51
Just about to turn 29, CPL/IR finished in 2004. First job after 6 months flying C172 for aerial photography outfit (great fun, no pay). Now flying large multi piston (C402b & 404) for survey company. No wish to join an airline anytime soon, real flying is far too much fun.

superstall
21st Feb 2006, 16:23
PPL aged 18.
ATPL(f) aged 21
Flew PA31 for an air taxi company aged 23
RHS 737 aged 24

Jet_Settin
21st Feb 2006, 16:59
CPL 1995 aged 18
First Job 1997 aged 20
ATPL 2000 aged 23
Currently LHS B737NG last 3 yrs
aged 29 7000 hrs

pltskiracer
21st Feb 2006, 22:38
I started flying in Norway when i was 23. I am now 29 with around 4500 hours and currently RHS on the B737-800 for a US Airline flying charter all over the world. I did the flight instructor route followed by light twin and turboprops before moving on to the EMB-145 for a US regional airline. Who knows where i'll go next....

skysoarer
30th May 2006, 20:57
In other words: been there, done that, got the T-shirt!
Scroggs

Been ages since I checked back here... I hope you're still going for it Energie!

As for t-shirts... I've earned quite a few brown-stained ones while gliding, and usually involving cb's. I think I've learn't those essential gliding survival lessons now; i.e. big stinking line of black looking grot coming your way, then get away or get down and in the bar.

If you see this Scroggs.. just wondering where you did your gliding? I remember you saying Years back that you operated at Lyneham, when I was still stuck in Shrivenham.

Sky

energie
30th May 2006, 21:02
Thanks for the reply!

I am still going at it. I tried for a cadet interview but failed. I am taking lessons privately towards my own PPL and onwards.

Since then I have changed jobs into a consulting role just so I get the chance to fly more. This is actually quite a big change and is giving me a feel for the pilot lifestyle. I am enjoying it and can see myself living this lifestyle :)

thanks again!

skysoarer
30th May 2006, 21:46
Ha! Yes it's always fun to fit the job around the flying, although (for me) less rewarding in the money stakes. Any job offering more would not be flexible enough to cope with the flying (I'm sure there are exceptions! I certainly know of a few IT consultants who work for a few months then have the rest of the year off ... they must be very very good!). For myself, I had to pull my finger out and go all out towards a frozen atpl as I'm a total monkey in a non-flying office.

Keep it up, and pay Cranfield a visit if you can and I'll buy you a beer! A non-alcoholic one so you can fly back again of course! :}

Sky

Edit: Ahh! You're in Vancouver eh? That's a fair way from Cranfield.. I'll have to fedex you that beer!

rmcdonal
31st May 2006, 07:30
Started age 15
Solo: 16
PPL: 17
CPL (A): 18
Instructor:18.5
First job out of instructing 400hrs and 19, in the NT flying Singles (Great fun)
Current age 20, 750hrs, Flying PA31/C310 and a bit of instructing on the side. :ok:

JRA757
31st May 2006, 10:43
30yrs old started 25 got my solo with 10 hrs ppl at 25 JAR atpl 27 CPL/IFR/ME 28 got my first job as a BAE JS32 f/o with 216 tt from wich 113 wher me plus CRM and 85 be C-190 simulator FNTP II just got 30 with 613 tt when i was call for b-757/767 f/o course (after all the test and interviews of course); bottom line your still have plenty of time set t/o thr and go for it!!

scroggs
31st May 2006, 10:48
If you see this Scroggs.. just wondering where you did your gliding? I remember you saying Years back that you operated at Lyneham, when I was still stuck in Shrivenham.
Sky

RAF Wattisham, 1969-71.

Scroggs

Artificial Horizon
31st May 2006, 12:27
Started Flying 1996 (18 years old)
PPL at 19
CPL/IR 20
Instructor for two years from 23 -25
Dash 8 First Officer 25 - 27
A320 First Officer 27 until present (28).

Currently 3000 hours ish and loving every minute of it.:)

rduarte
31st May 2006, 12:45
Started flying in 96 (28 years old) in the US ,till 98 with some multi and turbo prop experience. Moving to Portugal to convert licences and doing the ATPL-A (2000) first pay job in 2001 for SATA (BAe-ATP),then unemployment for 1,5year, get a self sponsored QT on L-1011 and I am flying since then.Today I am 38 RHS on L-1011 and 2500TT.

:ok:

windshear-a-head
31st May 2006, 12:51
Started: PPL 18
Frozen ATPL 20
RHS 737 UK Charter 21

flightsafety737
1st Jun 2006, 15:37
I was graduated from Southwind aviation on brownsville texas,u.s.a on 1997 when i was 21 yrs with CPL and start my journey on 2000 with major airlines in indonesia till now with 3500 hrs on 737,still waiting for 2nd interview with air hongkong..

"..... I believe i can fly..I believe i can touch the sky.." ( R.Kelly)

FlightSafety737

Whispering Giant
1st Jun 2006, 15:58
PPL - 1994
ATPL ground exams - 2003
CPL - 2004
IR and MCC - 2005

First job flying a heavy turboprop - Dash8 Q400 - Sept 2005 at age 32

ATPL ground exams, CPL, Instrument rating and MCC all completed whilst working full time.

Jason2000
2nd Jun 2006, 19:58
Hmm, now this has been an interesting read, making me think things over again!
Me to date:
Motor Gliding solo at 17
PPL at 18
Aero. Engineering degree at 21
MSc Air Transport Management at 23
Now a Marketing/Sales Manager with large airline-related company at 24.
...but still want to be a commercial pilot =)
Maybe I'll finally make the big decision next year.
Good to hear others have took the jump and done well and nice to see mid-twenties is far from being too old to start :cool:

ricky-godf
2nd Jun 2006, 21:11
Started May 2001 (just before turning 18)
Got my PPL in Dec 2001
Worked outside aviation while doing hour building for a while.
Back full time into training in 2005, ATPL, CPL/ME IR and MCC all completed in 2005 at the age of 22.
Got my first job less than three months after I completed my training (without paying for the TR), just started line training on the B737 for an UK company....and I love it!

All the best

ChocksAwayUK
2nd Jun 2006, 21:37
Glad you're enjoying it Ricky.. I can't wait!

Started age 26 in 2003 - PPL training at weekends, took a year.
2004 ATPL theory while still working full-time.
2005 left non-aviation job to fly full-time. Hour building, CPL, IR, MCC takes me to..
2006 (29 now) Applying everywhere for six months, then got through to CTC's AQC which is on hold while I find out how I've done with my preferred jet operator's selection process (wish they'd hurry up and let me know!).

Good luck everyone.

Ennie
15th Jun 2006, 18:05
Licence in 2001, RHS F50 2001-2005
Now B737 RHS at 26 with KLM.

YYZ
16th Jun 2006, 12:42
Started on my 28th birthday.

PPL took me one year to complete whilst trying to save money for the rest.

Got on with the ground school whilst saving more money, finally saved enough which enabled me to quit work and do my CPL/IR/MCC full time.

1 week after finishing training I got drop pilot job, did that for 6 months and now instructing in a lovely sunny country, and loving it.

Corporate is my target by the time im 35, im now 32.

YYZ

Pizzaro
16th Jun 2006, 13:52
PPL 1996, CPL/IR 2001 after two years instructing, turbo prop for 2 1/2 years now on ERJ 145.

Regards P.

no sponsor
16th Jun 2006, 14:53
PPL - 2000
ATPL G/S Exams - 2004
CPL/IR/ME/MCC - 2005

Current Age 35. Employed outside of aviation. Still looking for a pilot job.

INLAK
16th Jun 2006, 15:41
PPL @ 17 in 1997
CPL/IR @ 19
BAe 146 @ 20
B737e @ 23
B747 @ 25....and still there.

Cavallier
17th Jun 2006, 02:18
PPL through GAPAN sponsorship in 1996 aged 19. CPL/IR modular 2001, FI rating 2003 instructed until late 2005 then fortunate enough to get a job in the RHS of
A330 for an airline based in Hong Kong. Still have to pinch myself........

The Cav:cool:

727Man
17th Jun 2006, 08:04
1985 started FAA PPL Okinawa Japan, 43 hrs never finished!
1989 Flight Engineer C141B
1996 Flight Engineer B727
2003 Completed FAA PPL, CPL, Multi IR
2004-2005 JAA ATPL Ground Exams
2006- JAA fATPL

Just another student
17th Jun 2006, 11:33
2002 :- JAA PPL and started ATPL's later in the year.
2004 :- Finished ATPL's and started at T-Fly as Cabin Crew for the summer.
2005 :- Completed hour building (West Coast U.S.A) CPL/MEP/IR + MCC
2006 :- Job hunting - Not a sniff :{

I will get there :)

JT8
17th Jun 2006, 13:29
PPL at age 19
Completed CPL/IR MCC age 24
First job via CTC B737 age 25, now A319
Moving onto B777 in a few months age 27

:)

Just another student: keep at it! :ok:

Seabiscuit
17th Jun 2006, 18:29
Feel very lucky to be able to say:
Bought a flying lesson for my 14th b'day,
begged borrowed and sold my soul to go solo at 17,
CPL/IR at 18,
Flying Instructor and flew an odd trip on PA31, PA27 at 19
737-200 at 20
777-200 at 23, loving every single bit of the journey.

Olof
17th Jun 2006, 20:41
CPL- 2002
ME/IR/ATPL theory - 2005
B737 - 2006

transmitforDF
19th Jun 2006, 09:23
i've only just started ppr training at Shoreham who knows what the future holds:)

Theres all these people on 737's i feel so small:(

Cutoff
19th Jun 2006, 09:55
Class 1 medical October 2001
Re started PPL in Feb 2002 (age 31)...(did 30hours in 1991).
CPL and IR issued in 2005.
TP interview in September and started type rating in April
Now in right seat of 50 seat TP, age 36, should have done it years ago!

monkeytribe
20th Oct 2006, 01:16
Would be interesting to hear from fellow PPruners as to where you did/completed your training?
Did you go Integrated or Modular?
Where you trained.
Has your school had any influence on your job hunting/prospects?
Apart from the old Integrated Vs Modular debate have airlines actually given a toss as to where you trained?

I'm currently ab-initio myself!

Flingingwings
20th Oct 2006, 09:40
PPL(H) 2001
CPL(H) and FI 2004
Trained modular route whilst working full time. All self funded.
Worked as an FI from completion of course. Decided pay was too low and working conditions too poor.
Self funded a multi engine helicopter IR earlier this year. Best move I ever made!

I've been working, albeit slowly, as a self employed onshore pilot flying twins together with some basic ppl tuition since.
I was approached four weeks ago by a major onshore operator after being recommended by the Chief pilot of a company I was doing some work for.

One interview later and I'm starting in just under three weeks. Salaried position, two multi engine type ratings included, fantastic long term prospects. I'm 33 with under 1000 hours.

None of the schools I did my training with have helped me find a job (not that I'd expect them to). The first class quality of my training (particularly the IR) and my efforts did that.

Remember it's not what you know BUT who you know :ok:

Craggenmore
20th Oct 2006, 14:50
Started Jan 2003. Passed into GB's cadet hold pool in 2004 but was never fished out. Then worked the ramp at EGLL before becoming a flying instructor. Now RHS for Easy Switzerland on the Airus A319 and loving it. :ok:

captainyonder
20th Oct 2006, 15:25
Started at Oxford Aviation on the APP in 2004, wasn't happy with what I was getting and realised I could get a lot better for half the price. Now just finishing again having decided to go modular and already have a UK airline job secured. Been able to work and have much more flexibility while training as opposed to if I'd continued with Oxford. Start flying Multi-crew Turboprop early next year. Employer paying majority of type rating, bonded for two years. Can't wait to get started.

Would definitely agree with flingingwings, it's not what you know it's who you know. Received job offer off the back of networking.

Incidentally majority of my friends from Oxford also now have jobs, a few with the same operator I'm going to. So not saying Oxford is a bad place to train, it just didn't suit me.

Craggenmore
20th Oct 2006, 15:38
Start flying Multi-crew Turboprop early next year. Employer paying majority of type rating, bonded for two years.Have you signed a contract? If so brilliant. If not, you have no job.........(see my post above)

captainyonder
20th Oct 2006, 15:48
Contract signed just a few days ago.

A320fanatic
21st Oct 2006, 19:55
Hi folks...i'm 20y.o, started integrated training at Sabena Flight Academy in 2004 (1st new promotion since Sabena Airline went banckrupt), graduated in July 2006, now hired by Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium to start T.R A320 in December...that's all!

skywaytoheaven
22nd Oct 2006, 05:31
Not that i would have minded it, but i always thought it would be rather dull to go directly to the right hand seat of a 320. You gotta learn to have lunch with a yolk in the way surely!

A320fanatic
22nd Oct 2006, 17:51
Yeah sure, but today, especially in europe, it's becomming quite hard to find right hand seat on a boeing with 200hrs...furthermore TCAB still flies it as a real plane, letting quite some freedom to their pilots, and the possibility to shoot lot's of visual approaches in the greek islands for ex is very attractive.

But I must admit, having done my MCC on 737-300, nothing worths flying a 73 or 757!!

ICEMAN757200
23rd Oct 2006, 17:02
Started my JAR PPL after finishing my BS in physics in 2001 JAR ATPL frozen on 2003; CPL/me/ir in 2004 got a job with 215:} hrs flying the BAE Jetstream in South America 390 hrs.Went thru Icelandair 2 month selection process , I am a 757-200/200SF/300 F/o TT 932 hrs.:)

FlyingTom
25th Oct 2006, 09:49
Started PPL in Florida in 2000 aged 30yrs. Started a modular ATPL at CCAT that same year on the old KLMuk sponsorship and then instructed for 2 years. KLMuk bought by Ryanair in 2003 just before end of sponsorship. No jobs in 2003 so paid Ģ20K for 737 type rating. Ironically accepted by Britannia and put back through 737 t/r course but not bonded. Flew for ThomsonFly from end 2003 until start 2005. Joined BA as a DEP and now fly RHS 737 with 3000 Thrs. Total time job hunting 3 months. Most stressful time: job hunting.

I had to be quite flexible and adjust my master plan but it all worked out very well for me. I put as much emphasis on interview preparation as I did on the ATPL's and flight tests. All the companies I have worked for were/are excellent.

no sponsor
26th Oct 2006, 08:57
Got my PPL in 2000, finished my CPL/IR in summer 2005. 300 hrs TT. Offered a F/O position on the 737 for a LCC here in the UK.

Superpilot
26th Oct 2006, 10:00
Congrats No Sponsor, since when?

Nice to see a fellow long time 'Original' wannabe succeed. :cool:

EGBKFLYER
26th Oct 2006, 11:43
Learnt to fly in 1990. Couldn't get a class 1 so went to uni and became an mechanical engineer instead. Got a class 1 in 2003, got a fATPL in 2004, got an FI rating in 2006 and have just got a job on the 737 with Jet2.

Long road but I think it'll be worth it - has been so far...:cool:

monkeyboy
30th Oct 2006, 07:02
2000: Started PPL training, aged 26.

2002: Knuckled down for the ATPL ground school distance learning through Oxford. :ugh:

2003: A month of hour building in Florida and then into CPL & IR at Oxford. :)

2004: RHS Dash 8 job.

2005: RHS EMB145 job. Same company.

2006: Just passed selection for UK charter RHS 757. :8

If you want it badly enough, you'll get there!

MB

PS: All modular! Hurrah!

energie
16th Dec 2006, 17:16
thanks for the update guys.

I am doing my PPL now (after a year of flying around North America as a pax due to some other useless obligation : my job), it seems that in europe it's actually possible to land jobs in 737s or a320s with just 2-300 hours

Unfortunately it doesn't look to be the case in Canada/US.

Anyhow, PPL here I come!

don_salvatore87
25th Dec 2006, 00:17
Got my PPL when i was 18, just turned 19 and currently undertaking the ATPL exams, will hopefully be finished before turning 20, a little early maybe, but that depends on who you are as a person. :)

Visited Oxford Aviation Training, and for the huge amount that i would have to pay for the training I decided to do the training here in Sweden and then maybe type + line training for the same price as the APP FO course at OAT. Must say that this is a risky business, but still some people succeed and some donīt.

viking207
25th Dec 2006, 06:55
38 years old

1992 PPL in San Diego

2000 First class medical

2001 ATPL theory

2002 SEIR

2003 CPL

2004 MEIR + MCC

2006 TR 737 and summer contract 400 hours in 4 months and 5 days

2007 UK loco:)

Modular student, working full time and atpl theory instructor on the side to pay the bills. Wife and two children.

Happy holidays:D

Viking207

randomair
25th Dec 2006, 09:20
Started at 17, finished at 18.
Commercial job at 18 flying the E145.
Now 21 flying the B757.
1500tt 1350jet.......

but im starting to go bald......not everything is good. :)

Superpilot
25th Dec 2006, 10:12
PPL gained summer 2000 in Florida at age 19, high hopes of completing training within 2 years of that but didn't fall through due to various circumstances. Slowly fell out of love with the whole idea over 5 years even though I had previously wanted it all my life.

Since then marriage; a kid; a house purchase; 5 jobs. Finally in Sep 2005 questioned myself really hard and after realising my true goal once again, gave myself a proverbial kick up the backside and commenced my ATPL Theory in Jan 2006. Now still only 25 years old and extremely fortunate to have landed an exceptionally well paid job. Come Summer 2007 I will be starting my professional training with a school based only 20 minutes away (SFC), all is now achievable without a loan. What a journey, and it hasn't even began yet! :p

PS: I aim to update this post very soon! :O

Gassbag
27th Dec 2006, 15:13
I left my job in Sept 2001 already with a PPL.
Went to Florida with SFT.....!
Completed my MCC in April 2003. Worked P/T as a Jump Pilot for a bit
Now work for a Water Company.
I currently fly a desk whick can be found on page 1264 of the latest Autumn/Winter 2006 Slingsby catalog.
Got within a nats whisker with Thomson Fly late 2005 and that's it really.
I'm 25 have 3 children and a mortgage a huge loan.....
No regrets about starting off on this route though, and about where I am now.
Sometimes you can try all you like but it doesn't happen. No doubt this will attract endless "but how much did you really want it?" posts. I'll answer now. A lot. I wanted to fly since I was a kiddly wink. I was in the Air cadets, I went solo gliding on my 16th Birthday, I won a PPL scholarship and did in 4 weeks in between my 6th form years. I have won awards. I have flown on TV news items and show reels and documanteries, and many other fun things. But the job bit didn't arrive. Maybe I was too young, didn't smile enough or too much, seemed too keen or whatever. It probably is my fault it didn't materialise.
I wouldn't discourage my children if that is what they wanted to do. And if plopped back in time I would do it again. I learned a lot about myself, and life in general and a hell of a lot from that 4 foot high stack of text books. No doubt you can get them on i-pods now though...?
Thats where I am now. I hope this doesn't put any one off chasing their dream of finding a job doing what they always wanted to do. Go for it. Good Luck :ok:

RJELLISUK
27th Dec 2006, 18:05
I am 21. I started flying @ 19 at www.flysfc.com in January 2005. I am starting my ryanair type rating course on monday 1st jan 07 (next week yeah!!!) It was my first interview and got it so well chuffed. Well i say starting type rating monday, got intro course for 1 week first and actually get uniform measured monday!!!!! best bit lol
Off to CAE in amsterdam 15th for the sim stuff etc.
All in all it took me 17 months to get frozen ATPl and 2 years to get typerated with a job on 737-800.
Just crack on with it and u will succeed and get that job that is out there 4 you.

1 bit of advise though which most forget, ALWAYS STAY POSTIVE!!!!! THERE IS A JOB $ EVERYONE OUT THERE!!!!

FLY SAFE

RJELLISUK

Divet II
28th Dec 2006, 01:41
Did PPL at 23
Went to Jerez at 24
Somehow got a job before finishing the course at 25
Now flying A320
350 TT
170 Jet

energie
28th Dec 2006, 01:46
Did PPL at 23
Went to Jerez at 24
Somehow got a job before finishing the course at 25
Now flying A320
350 TT
170 Jet

congrats. Seems like this is really possible in europe! Not so much in North America unfortunately :(

avrodamo
1st Jan 2007, 08:36
Started at 31 in 2001 PPL
2002/2003 ATPL theory
2004 CPL
2005 FI and IR
12 months of PFOs
2006 737 Rating
First job at 36, flying the 737 now since Sep
630 TT
160 Jet

LEVC
1st Jan 2007, 16:19
Started at 25 Integrated course in oct 1999
in july 2003 FI course
March 2004 first paid flying job as FI,and later switched to work in other schools
Continued to work as FI till Jan. 2006 when i found job as Corporate F/O in a jet
although it was very hard at times and i had and still have to put a lot of effort , no regrets and as said before in other posts , a shame i couldn't start sooner :ok:

Kerosine
2nd Jan 2007, 14:49
Ok guys, we have 30,000 threads on all topics of hows, wheres, and how muchs, lets bring it together.

Post your brief story on how you did it or how you are doing it, how you funded it and where you went, it should make much more informative/interesting reading than fragmented threads.

Any interesting stories on how you got your PPL, and amazing deals or exceptional service offered, anyone who did it in an unusual/exotic location, what you're doing with your PPL now, what your doing with your CPL/ATPL, where you work, was it worth it...

Just be creative folks, this would be a great thread for those just coming into the arena or those who can't decide what to do next..

Thankyou all,

Dave Spencer (Hardcore Wannabe)

kilafaki
2nd Jan 2007, 19:28
PPl 1999
ATPL 2000
CPL/IR 2001
MEIR 2004

Now 33 years old and 1300 hours and no JOB, not even an interview, still hoping that somthing will turn up that can save me from driving taxis for the next 20 years just to repay my student loan.

The worst investment of time and money i ever made:yuk:

Jan

CPL_Ace
3rd Jan 2007, 11:13
Started in 2003 when i was 27 - PPL with 48 hours on C152 by which time I was hooked. Left the Office every Wednesday and Friday Lunch time to fly or even sometimes just sit next to friends building hours before admitting to myself that driving to work on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday was getting increasingly difficult!
Finished ATPL/ME/IR/MCC in Mar06 with a big hole in my pocket and plodded around for nearly a year on the edge of giving up and going back to the office which would allow 2 hour lunches on Wed and Fri :suspect:
Starting on Jets next week with my new company.
Sounds great to a wannabe but pleased be warned It hasn't been easy - I have experienced real highs but paid the price with some of the lowest lows I'll hopefully ever feel and some very big demands on my physical and mental state.

4ft high text book pile
16 hour days
4am starts - 4am finishes even!
110% concentration for hours on end
Constantly asking yourself the question "Can I really do this?"
Constant pressure to ace it first time.

There is a reality to this path which everyone will tell you but you won't believe until you do it (The "Don't touch that Paint it's wet" syndrome) On the flip side, however,consider this:
I used to drive to work from my nice GradeII listed house to my marketing job in my BMW - Now I drive a rusty wreck with bald tyres and a large hole in the exhaust from my rented cottage with green furniture - and I'll be smiling all the way to work no matter what day it is:)

timzsta
7th Jan 2007, 20:57
Joined Royal Navy as Warfare Officer aged 18.
Ended up as a Fighter Controller and decided there was more fun to be had on the other end of the radio. Handed in notice and 9/11 happened 3 months prior to my leaving the military.

PPL in Long Beach Jan 2002. Then began ATPL studies whilst doing various jobs at Stansted.

CPL/IR Summer of 2004.

Then I had to grow up a bit and stop playing aeroplanes living under the parents roof and get my own place and mortgage etc.

FI course winter 2005/ spring 2006.

Part Time FI job came along in May 2006.

Work as a multi drop driver in the week to pay the mortgage. Work as an FI at the weekends.

370 hours.

Bail out
8th Jan 2007, 19:28
Completed my PPL training with Exeter Flying Club in August 2001 Age: 19

Started Commercial flt training August 2001 - December 2002.

Got my first job operating the B737 3/4/5 700 Age: 22

Now im operating the B757 with a UK charter airline Age 25.

Total time 2200 TT
Jet time 1750

travmason
8th Jan 2007, 22:57
PPL '98 at 27yrs old.
NVFR, ME, Tailwheel at the end of that.
Did all my commercial training time and ended up with 180hrs tt.
Then I bought a morgtage about two weeks before I sat the flight test for the CPL. Then I had kids (better than flying, just).
I've been kicking myself for the last 5 years for not flying and I've decided in the new year to get my CPL, do a ME-CIR and get a job.
Screw the desk, I'm going flying.

MIKECR
9th Jan 2007, 10:17
PPL in 2001. Built up a couple of hundred hours over the next few years then did ATPL exams last year. Now halfway through full time MEIR and hope to be finished, including CPL, by end of next month(weather permitting!). All being well, will book an MCC for March. Then who knows......pray!!??

Dozza2k
9th Jan 2007, 10:41
started a integrated course in jan 2005, aged 19. Plopped out of that in april 06, luckily had attended interview during lattr stages of course. Got a type rating course with that company (paid by them) in november 06. Been flying with them on 319/320/321 for a year now. age 22.

couldn't have hoped for better. Keep at it, head down and don't give up.
d2k