PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Mig display

Chimbu chuckles
9th Feb 2006, 04:41
http://www.fototime.com/A6046B4F7D315B7/conv.wmv

Chuck

pshakey
9th Feb 2006, 05:59
I'm no spotter (honest!), but that Mig looks suspiciously like some kind of Sukhoi Flanker variant.
Great display though...makes your eyes water.
I'll now stand back and let the real spotters tell us exactly what it is.

MightyGem
9th Feb 2006, 07:15
Fixed wing aircraft just aren't supposed to do things like that!!! Those canards were working overtime.

Chimbu chuckles
9th Feb 2006, 07:25
Of course...could be a Sukhoi or some description...but the manouvers just blow you away...probably of no real use in a combat situation but I'd still not like to meet one in a dark alley.

The most amazing manouver was the backwards tumble...literally end over end backwards entered from 3/4s of a loop...just mind numbing aerodynamics and engine ability.

I can't pick it in the vid but is there thrust vectoring involved or is this just good old Russian 'Masey Ferguson' technology only?

Chuck.

Tourist
9th Feb 2006, 07:43
Its a Sukhoi with lots of vectored thrust.
Go to Patricks Aviation website. There are lots of vids of it doing even worse stuff

Data-Lynx
9th Feb 2006, 08:16
How about a Super Flanker SU-35UB? (http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/flankers_pages/su-35ub.htm)http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/fighter/su35ub-i.jpg

EESDL
9th Feb 2006, 10:50
That Fokker's a Flanker

They sure can make some aircraft!
Wouldn't want to have been the cameraman for some of those shots!!!!!!

wub
9th Feb 2006, 11:10
Wouldn't want to have been a passenger during that display :yuk:

Melchett01
9th Feb 2006, 12:12
It's a FLANKER variant, as already suggested, probably one of the more recent versions, poss Su-35/37 - certainly not the bomber variant or the navalised one. The real freaky move where it stands on its tail before pitching forward is, I believe, the 'cobra' and was the initial party piece of thrust vectored aircraft when they first appeared on the scene.

Just think what could have been - ditch Typhoon and buy 232 Flankers, figher and bomber variants, preferably with licensed production over here with western avionics. Fraction of the price, rugged and relatively simple to maintain. My god, what a platform that would have been.

Tourist
9th Feb 2006, 12:25
The origional Su 27 was fully capable of the cobra move without even having vectored thrust!

ShyTorque
9th Feb 2006, 13:19
"Just think what could have been - ditch Typhoon and buy 232 Flankers, figher and bomber variants, preferably with licensed production over here with western avionics. Fraction of the price, rugged and relatively simple to maintain. My god, what a platform that would have been."

Guys, this is the reason the UK has Typhoon. It was designed to defeat these variants. Figures I have seen suggest it will do so at least 75% of the time. Those manoeuvres would leave the F-35 a sitting duck, btw!

Conan the Librarian
9th Feb 2006, 14:29
What an impressive display. A question for you drivers of pointy things past and present though. Many of those manouvres are way outside the accepted norm and I wonder how the pilot maintains situational awareness through that lot, as many of the physical sensations felt must be confusing or maybe even contradictory in some cases.

Damned if I can say for sure whether it is going forwards, backwards or sideways half of the time and I am just sitting bolted to the ground in front of a monitor....

Conan

Groundgripper
9th Feb 2006, 15:47
When I click on that link (using Firefox or OE), all I get is a JPEG still picture - does anyone else have the same problem?

GG

Conan the Librarian
9th Feb 2006, 15:55
Try rightclicking and then "save as" to copy it to your hard drive. Works on Firefox well for me, though there was a bit of a delay before it started coming down the toob.

Conan

Groundgripper
9th Feb 2006, 16:29
Thanks Conan. Right clicking only allowed me to "save link as". Did that and Windows Media Player refused to open it saying it was either corrupted or not a supported file type!

Time for tea, methinks!

GG

Conan the Librarian
9th Feb 2006, 16:34
GG PM me with an email addy and I will forward it to you. It is fascinating.

Conan

TEEEJ
9th Feb 2006, 17:10
http://www.fototime.com/A6046B4F7D315B7/conv.wmv
Chuck

Not MiG, but Sukhoi (FLANKER). If you want to see a MiG-29 with vectored thrust go to the following link. This is the MiG-29OVT.

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/MIG29OVT_promo_for_MAKS_2005_26054.html

Onan the Clumsy
9th Feb 2006, 23:27
How odd. A Mig in red white and blue :confused:

I'd have preferred it without the distracting sharks :*

Chimbu chuckles
10th Feb 2006, 00:12
No bloody wonder I thought the Sukhoi was a Mig....they look the bloody same to me:confused:

That only ran as far as the takeoff then stopped...will try again...I like sharks, my daughter and I feel cheated when we go diving and see none.:ok:

Rossian
10th Feb 2006, 14:16
Today (10th) I can't see the video clip either but I could yesterday.
V impressive it is too.
Having spoken to one of the Russian Knights display team a year or two ago (via an interpreter I hasten to add), he explained that they derive an instrument display from the "prongy" things on the trailing edge of the port fin when they are in the tail slidey type manouevres. If you look closely at the arrangement in a still piccy there appears to be a pitot tube and at least two butterfly vane arrangements which might supply some pitch and yaw info as well as "backwards speed". Now as to interpretation of this in the middle of a display - Gawd only knows!
I raise my rather battered SD to the guys who do it.
The Ancient Mariner

Kitbag
10th Feb 2006, 18:06
Rossian, I can't see the vid either now, but your description is very reminiscent of 'Fast Rod' IFF aerials. I'm probably wrong but hey who knows, maybe disinformation is still alive and well in the aerospace industry. If it is as you say they say then yeah some clever instruments inside to cope with various pressure source changes is impressive stuff.

Groundgripper
10th Feb 2006, 18:58
Thanks to Conan, I've been able to watch this video - well worth waiting for.
I'm sure that that is the Su37 with fully vectoring nozzles - you can see that at various stages of the display they are definitely not pointing in the normal direction!
I thought at first that it might be 711, the aircraft that was displayed at both Farnborough and Paris Air Shows (and finished up as a smoking hole in the ground at the latter, giving a demonstration of the effectiveness of the ejection seats) but this is another aircraft.
The manoeuvre that the video does not show, as far as I can see, is the "back-flip" which continues the 120 degree pitch-up of the cobra through a complete 360 degrees.
GG

cazatou
10th Feb 2006, 19:56
I have no illusions about Russian Military capabilities since my visit to the Soviet Airbase at Kubinka (just outside Moscow) in 1989. The impresssive loop in box 4 formation immediately after take-off (and with the gear still retracting) dispelled any myths about "Western Superiority."

The warmth with which we were welcomed was outstanding. They remember 1941, when we were their only ally.

PS Yes, I was on duty, and flying an RAF aircraft.