PDA

View Full Version : Help - Milton Keynes?

Fuji Abound
31st Jan 2006, 18:59
Does anyone know the nearest strip to Milton Keynes please if there is one significantly closer than Cranfield?

captain_flynn
1st Feb 2006, 01:48
Hi

I'm going to be moving to Milton Keynes in the next few months and will continue my flying training at Cranfield. I think Cranfield is the only airfield thats close to Milton Keynes? I don't know of any other near there.

pilotbear
1st Feb 2006, 02:29
Cranfield is the nearest, next is probably Turweston or Northampton Sywell

dwshimoda
1st Feb 2006, 07:08
Depends what you're after - there's (I think) 3 private strips within Cranfields ATZ, but as you say, Cranfield is probably the obvious choice.

My 172 is based there, let me know if you need any further info.

DW.

Fuji Abound
1st Feb 2006, 07:26
I was interested in the private strips if anyone has any information.

G-EDDS
1st Feb 2006, 07:38
Have a look at RAF Henlow. Its about 40mins East of MK. :D

Laundryman
1st Feb 2006, 08:05
Fuji, there is a private strip within the Cranfield zone on the M1 side in the Hamlet of Hulcote don't know the owners name or number but I do know of someone who went there to ask about using this strip. The reply was yes they could use it but there was nowhere to park or store an aircraft so it would have to be trailered in and out again,

dwshimoda
1st Feb 2006, 11:27
Laundryman is correct, but Hulcote is probably on 2nm, if that, from Cranfield, so unless it's expense, you'd be better off at Cranfield. It only takes about 15 mins from Cranfield to the centre of MK.

Fuji Abound
1st Feb 2006, 17:41
Thank you everyone.

It is not the cost, I just wondered if there was a more convenient strip for MK.

AerBabe
1st Feb 2006, 17:43
I don't know of any. I lived a few miles north of MK for over 20 years and got my PPL while my parents were still there. I didn't see anything or hear of anything closer than Cranfield.

stuartforrest
1st Feb 2006, 18:09
I lived in MK for years and did my training there and you would struggle to get any closer unless it was in the middle. Its just a few minutes drive from MK, although it is a big place as you no doubt know so it depends which side you are driving from.
Traffic is never a problem there so even if you were driving from as far away as Crownhill at the far side I cant see it taking more than 15 minutes to get there. If you live at the nearside of MK it is minutes.
I flew in there to see some friends a few weeks ago and paid a fairly steep landing fee although I am sure you can get deals on that.

dwshimoda
2nd Feb 2006, 06:20
Yep - the landing fee can sting - you really need to be home-based if you're going to use it regularly.

Don't know how they justify the fee, but it's enough to make sure we hardly have any visiting aircraft. I think maybe it's to do with how busy it is due to all the training schools.

DW>

captain_flynn
2nd Feb 2006, 08:56
Whats the landing fee at Cranfield?

dwshimoda, thanks for your PM! I will reply to it later.

dwshimoda
2nd Feb 2006, 09:40
Don't actually know for non-based aircraft - it's not published in Pooleys - think it's about £25 for a typical single. I know my mate brought his JP here, and it cost nearly £60!

nigelisom
2nd Feb 2006, 10:23
Landingn fees
From memory, last year a pa28 cost me about £40 for landing and about 3 hours parking. Which made lunch with my mate in MK expensive, but it was convenient.

Nigel

captain_flynn
2nd Feb 2006, 17:52
Wow, thats expensive! Whats the fee for aircraft based there?