PDA

View Full Version : Requirements to fly Jet aircraft

nitcho
22nd Jan 2006, 11:00
Dear all,
I don't know if this kind of topic has already been discussed earlier and if it's the good place for it.
I'd like to know what are the minimum requirements to fly a business jet as PIC (below 5700 Kgs).
For example, I'd like to buy my aircraft for myself and wants to fly it. I hold a FAA PLL IR ME and get only a small amount of hours on pistons aircrafts.
Where may I find the text and reglementation about this (either in FAA and JAA)?
Thank you for your answers,
Nitcho

172driver
22nd Jan 2006, 12:49
AFAIK, you'll need a turbine rating, high-alt rating and type rating for the a/c you want to fly. If your insurance plays along for a low-hour pilot in a jet is a different mattter altogether....:{
PS: the above from memory, relevant for FAA. Check out their website or refer to the FAR/AIM.

nitcho
22nd Jan 2006, 13:29
Ok, thank you very much for those informations?
If I hold this type and flying as PIC, with a safety pilot also rated on the aircraft, will the insurances could be lower? :hmm:

Chilli Monster
22nd Jan 2006, 21:51
Working on the FAA licence / FAA registered aircraft scenario

1) You won't get insurance with less than 1000 hrs

2) You won't get touched by a reputable school to do a type rating with less than 1000 Hrs.

3) When you do the Type Rating Flight Test it is done to ATP, not Private standards. The lack of experience would show.

rebelrabbit
23rd Jan 2006, 18:09
What if you wanna slap a small jet or two onto a homebuilt? As in the Cri-Cri?

rr

TaxiOperator
23rd Jan 2006, 22:06
Nitcho,

If you are serious, you can do it.
Limiting factors are your Personal Wealth and Insurance requirements. The latter can be resolved by flying with an experienced captain for the first 500+ hrs, 750 hrs TT. While you can fly SP on some small jets, it does make sense to have two people in the pointy end.

You should also consider contacting an appropriate AOC holder in your country to prevent paying VAT/MOT and to recoup a bit of the investment.

Buying a jet is cheap compared to all that follows.

nitcho
24th Jan 2006, 06:01
Ok, so I will do, I got some adresses and will consider the things.

Thank you all, for your answers.

Nicolas