PDA

View Full Version : ATC Pack, Selection Day

ldsnodden
18th Jan 2006, 22:16
Hi,

Im fairly new to all of this, Im 18 and in my final year at college. Not studying physics or anything like that, Im doing travel and tourism.

But anyway, I have my assessment/test day on the 31st January having booked it a week ago after receiving an email from the NATS recruitment department.

I have been reading the information pack that they have sent me, and just have a question. Towards the back of the pack there are listings for most of the major aircraft that are used within the UK. Is it important that I learn all the flight levels and speeds?

Im well away on separation distances, types of airspace etc (the basic concepts), but am a little worried about the aircraft information.

I have even started watching air traffic control films like Jet to try and learn as much as I can!

Thanks in advance,
Liam

Gonzo
18th Jan 2006, 22:31
You will be asked questions on that booklet, including a/c performance (cruising levels, speeds etc), so best you try and learn them all.

Dances with Boffins
19th Jan 2006, 08:50
Put it this way. All the ones you don't learn will probably be the ones they question you on. Why take the risk?
Minimum effort is not a viable option if you want to learn how to be an ATCO. What is required is someone who has a plan to cover any eventuality and covers all the bases. Safe, Orderly and Expeditious, as a wise man once said...

Good luck:ok:

Bombay Bad Boy
19th Jan 2006, 10:45
The information booklet that you are talking about unfortunately is slightly out of date is about to be replaced at the end of the month. The new booklet is devised by controllers from various units and college instructors responsible for the Basic ATC Course. The information on aircraft performance is fairly accurate but is provided as a gauge to understanding certain aircraft TYPE performance. I strongly recommend that you revise the old booklet to gauge a good understanding of ATC and its principles. With reference to aircraft performance, understand a typical cruising speed, range etc of various "similiar" type aircraft (ie one example is B737 and A319 are fairly similar etc) as this is not an exact science and aircraft performance is affected by many things such as Wind, Loading, Temperature. Good luck at your test.
BBB