PDA

View Full Version : EGLC - runway wet/wet/wet

Mike Oxbig
15th Jan 2006, 11:04
Could get my head blown off here , but here goes!
Can anyone explain why the ATIS at London City sometimes states that the runway is wet/wet/wet although it is grooved?:confused: I thought that if a runway were grooved, it was always considered dry unless contaminated?
Thanks

VCR
15th Jan 2006, 12:54
The grooves help with drainage, the runway can still get wet!

Spitoon
15th Jan 2006, 14:18
Official definitions are:

DAMP The surface shows a change of colour due to moisture.
NOTE: If there is sufficient moisture to produce a surface film or the surface appears reflective, the runway will be reported as WET.
WET The surface is soaked but no significant patches of standing water are visible.
NOTE: Standing water is considered to exist when water on the runway surface is deeper than 3mm. Patches of standing water covering more than 25% of the assessed area will be reported as WATER PATCHES.
WATER PATCHES Significant patches of standing water are visible.
NOTE: Water patches will be reported when more than 25% of the assessed area is covered by water more than 3mm deep.
FLOODED Extensive patches of standing water are visible.
NOTE: Flooded will be reported when more than 50% of the assessed area is covered by water more than 3mm deep.

Mike Oxbig
15th Jan 2006, 15:45
Thank you that nmakes things clearer. pleaae keep posting if anyone else has information.:ok:

Regular Cappuccino
15th Jan 2006, 23:02
..And as far as water is concerned, JAR - Ops does not consider a runway to be contaminated if it is either DAMP or WET, only if it is reported as Water Patches or Flooded.
RC

the hunted one
16th Jan 2006, 18:51
A grooved runway can still be damp/wet etc. What is stated is that, unless a runway notified as "Slippery When Wet", then it can be assumed that any surface condition of Damp or Wet will not affect braking action. It's not that the runway can't be wet, just that it doesn't need to have braking action tests carried out on it in that state.

TCAS FAN
16th Jan 2006, 22:00
Similar problem at SOU, grooved runway but nowhere for water to drain off. Consequently water sits in grooves, although the surface appears either "damp" or "dry", as previously defined. OPS vehicle drives over grooves, tyres throw water up, driver hears water thrown up, et voila, wet or damp runway. At SOU, normally reported wet, two, three or more hours after it has stopped raining.

When it really gets interesting is when the water freezes, water in grooves freezes and expands out of the grooves, and runway ends up corrugated! Net result, airport stays shut for half of the day. I report for an early departure, never to get airborne. Ice freezes by lunchtime.

And that's an airport from the "World Class Airport Group"!

Stuff your grooves, give me a runway with a reasonable camber or crossfall with somewhere for the water to drain, and what I then see is what I get for runway state.

Mike Oxbig
17th Jan 2006, 13:41
Thanks Hunted one, that was the answer I was looking for! Makes things a lot clearer now.

Cheers,

Mike

the hunted one
17th Jan 2006, 13:54
Thanks Hunted one, that was the answer I was looking for! Makes things a lot clearer now.
Cheers,
Mike

Wow! I knew something! ;) Glad to help....

Dances with Boffins
18th Jan 2006, 09:38
"One swallow does not a summer make..." :8

the hunted one
18th Jan 2006, 09:42
"One swallow does not a summer make..." :8

:p LOL! Fair point! Best not get too cocky....