PDA

View Full Version : Yet another F104 question

Off-Black
13th Jan 2006, 03:03
As a small person I remember being fascinated by the F104 wing being described as "so thin the leading and trailing edges were razor sharp, with ground crew requiring gloves to avoid injury" or something to that effect.
Twenty years older and it seems a bit far fetched. It is a thin wing, but sharp?
Does the razor edge have any base in reality or is it a myth dreamed up by those who write books about aeroplanes for children (or Lockheed PR)?

grobace
13th Jan 2006, 05:30
Razor sharp is an exaggeration, but they had protective covers that were only removed after pilot crew-in.

Blodwyn Pig
13th Jan 2006, 08:03
sharp, but not razor sharp.
about as sharp as your table knife.

Thud_and_Blunder
13th Jan 2006, 09:58
I have another question too: when I was struggling to hit the airfield during my PFLs on the JP3A course, my instructor said something like:

"you should try this on Starfighters, mate. High Key in one of those is over 30 thousand feet"

...can anyone verify?

Zoom
13th Jan 2006, 10:11
Probably not far out. You only have to look at the wing area to realise that the Starfighter was not a glider in any way, shape or form.
I will check with an ex-104 pal and see what the correct answer is.

Arm out the window
13th Jan 2006, 20:28
I remember being told a similar kind of thing by the Mirage III guys, high key about 30,000, and that a couple of test pilots had done themselves in seeing if the flare would arrest the rate of descent OK - may be a load of rubbish of course.

grusome
14th Jan 2006, 08:25
Hi key 30,000', Lo key 15,000' over the threshold 135 deg off landing direction (ie, 225 deg left to turn), blow-down bottle at 200'.
I recall loosing an acquaintance who had everything set when he hit the bottle, got three wheels and one (out of two) leading edge flap. (battle damage, VN, Chu Lai 1965).
Gru
E&OE, not type rated

WIWOL92
16th Jan 2006, 17:04
As I remember, the Dash1 mentioned a Hi Key of the pre-mentioned size, but it was never contemplated nor practised. The nearest to it was a simulated partial power approach - simulating a blown efflux nozzle. Speed down the slope for a 1 in 1 type profile was 260 + fuel, with the boots being selected as soon you were over the lights. Worked well.

Brian Abraham
17th Jan 2006, 01:32
[QUOTE][similar kind of thing by the Mirage III /QUOTE]

Story told in Oz of RAAF deadsticking a Mirage III. May be just that, a story.

grusome
17th Jan 2006, 08:16
Brian,
True story, EFATO Williamtown, pilot a well-known FAC. I'm sure the truth will out in these pages shortly.
Regards
Gru