PDA

View Full Version : Southampton

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 12:23
Does anyone have experience of going into Southampton or an airfield close by? I need to go there on business. Southampton itself will cost me over £200 for a two day stay:{ Any other recommendations anyone?

This has probably been done before, but as the search facility on PPRuNe seems to be u/s I thought I'd ask again.

booke23
5th Jan 2006, 14:25
Alternatives are Lee-on-solent in Gosport.........(might find info by doing a search for HMS Daedalus). Recently became surplus to the navy and is now primarly civilian. Not sure about prices, but it's likely to be much cheaper than £200 for 2 days.

Further afield you have Goodwood, Old Sarum in Sailsbury and Bournemouth.....all of which are going to be much cheaper than Southampton. But a long taxi ride.

Southampton recently priced GA out of the airfield........pretty much all flying schools moved out last year, and relocated to Lee-on-solent.

booke23
5th Jan 2006, 16:04
On further investigation, Lee-on-solent is unlicensed (shame....has a nice 1300m tarmac R/way) and is still under the control of the MOD.....the coastguard operates its rescue helis out of there and the Police have an islander spotter aircraft stationed there.

So strict PPR I should think (come to think of it PPR probably applies to most of the airfields I previously mentioned). Maybe best to contact the flying school based there....carill aviation. They may shed some light on the subject for you.

Ni Thomas
5th Jan 2006, 16:21
If you want to ensure arrival despite the weather, then I'd go for Bournemouth (EGHH). It has ILS, NDB, Radar, long hard runway, fuel, curled up sarnies, car hire, handsome ATC (or pretty - take your pick).
It a bit of a way to Southampton so will be pricey for taxi's (hire a car!),
open 06:30hrs til 21:30hrs ..... errr .... have I already mentioned handsome ATC? ... Compulsory handling (ugh! :yuk: ), PPR.
Not sure about landing fee but as a guide:-
<1tonne = approx £16
A Grumman AA5B would be about £35.
- Call handling agents 01202 590888 for exact details & PPR.
Have a nice flight

MBX35
5th Jan 2006, 16:48
Dont Know the type of aircraft you want to use but there are some Farm Strips very close to S'oton. One is even within the EGHI ATZ

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 18:39
PA 28, so nothing too short:*

I spoke to Lee on Solent. It is, as has been said, MOD but managed by Hampshire Police. I got the feeling that if I spoke nicely they might let me in. Its certainly the closest apart from Southampton. Otherwise its a taxi from Sarum or Popham.

niknak
5th Jan 2006, 20:40
I don't know where you have to go to on the day, but it's worth noting that some of the national car hire companies (Avis comes to mind) now hire cars by the half and full day, so flying to Bournmouth may be a viable option.
I recently hired a B group from Manchester International from 0800 until 1530 for £38 (inc. all insurances etc).

helicopter-redeye
5th Jan 2006, 21:04
Depends on the 'side' of Soton you want to go to. I used to use it a lot (when it was cheaper to park your rotors on the main ramp for a week than park your car in the car park ...).

Locally West Bournmouth; East Goodwood; North Popham. South would be the IoW so that might not be as good without floats ...

h-r:)

BRL
5th Jan 2006, 21:29
There is a grass strip very close to town, it is called Upper somethingorother, someone here will put me right I am sure but they are your best bet. You will need to phone them beforehand. Lovely place.

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 21:38
Thanks everyone. Food for thought, especially Goodwood + car hire as I will probably come South from Norwich and across the Thames at Southend, then carry on until I hit more water, then turn right.:)

BRL
5th Jan 2006, 21:49
You would be mad to do it that way. The place I can't remember the name of is just south of Bishops Waltham and to the south east of Southampton airport itself. It would cost less than a tenner to get into Southampton central by cab from there or there are plenty of buses on the main road outside if you don't mind slumming it that way. I am sure someone will come along soon and tell you more about the place.

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 22:03
BRL: Can't find it in any book or on the half mil - I don't have the 1/4 mill for that area.

booke23
5th Jan 2006, 22:21
Don't see it on the Quarter mil..........not to say it doesn't exist! Although If it was me in a PA-28, i'd want at least 600 metres of decent grass......don't know if many private strips are this big?

LowNSlow
6th Jan 2006, 06:43
BRL Justiciar the strip on the East of Soton zone is called Lower Upham. Quite steeply sloped (not quite a one way strip but close) with pylons on one end so not ideal unless you are used to operating out of shortish strips.

helicopter-redeye
6th Jan 2006, 07:45
If its the one I'm thinking of (just out of CAS east of Bishs Walths) then it was "pylon city". Landed there about four years ago.

I retract this assertion. I landed near Clanfield and it was surrounded by the wires

jimpearce
6th Jan 2006, 08:17
if you need less than 500m then you can always visit us at Chilbolton.
£3 landing fee and if you're lucky one of us can help with a lift and mogas if you need it. we're about 8 miles North of winchester which has a very frequent train service in to southampton (9mins to Eastleigh!)
Regards,
Jim.

MBX35
6th Jan 2006, 09:04
You could try Lower Upham, South Longwood or Roughay Farm. all within 5 nm of EGHI and close to Bishops Waltham VRP

BEXIL160
6th Jan 2006, 11:20
Hello There,
For details of Lower Upham see http://www.lowerupham.com/contact.htm

Yes there are pylons at the 04 approach end (400m from the threshold, and they are 150ft high), but it's "do-able" in a PA28, as the strip is 648m long and if you do land on 04, the first 300m are uphill. The 22 end is relatively obstacle free.

It is however a bit damp at mo, so Popham maybe a better bet.

(I think BRL came to see us at our open day last August Bank Hol.... we're having another one this year on the second w/e in September, all welcome)

Rgds BEX

MEON VALLEY FLYER
6th Jan 2006, 12:07
Well I live near Upham and altohugh it may be do-able. Would you really want just anyone in a Pa28 trying to land on 04 bexil160 ?

There is a strip near romsey called fairly mount, 2 grass runways and fairly clear approaches. But I dont know their attitude to visitors and it's a bit our of the way. ie most taxi drivers would struggle to find it.

Best value for money would be into popham and a train into soton.

BEXIL160
6th Jan 2006, 15:57
Would you really want just anyone in a Pa28 trying to land on 04
Probably not, strip experience would be better....... watching an Aztec land on 04 got my full attention once upon a time:ooh: (watching it fly out was marginally less "interesting")
Rgds BEX

FBS
10th Jan 2006, 21:34
Your best bet is Popham and get a lift the half mile or so to the station and be in Southampton in about 25 mins. Popham parking is reasonable and some of the locals are even quite friendly.

None of the others mentioned have a station so close.

Three Blades
11th Jan 2006, 07:17
If you go to Bournemouth then I think handling is somewhere between £30 and £50. It is then a £10 taxi to Christchurch Station and then plenty of trains to Southampton centre.

FBS
13th Jan 2006, 09:23
On the other hand, landing at Popham is a fiver and someone will give you a lift to the station!