PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance, USA with cover for flying

What's a Girdler
5th Jan 2006, 11:55
I'm off to Florida to get some 20 hours up in Cessnas in March, my insurance company have told me that I must be joking and won't cover me for my 'dangerous' hobby (statistically safer than driving the car to Kissimmee Airport), can anyone recommend cheap travel insurance to cover me and the 'boss' (so she thinks) whilst flying around the Sunshine State. Cheapest so far is £112 each.

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 12:35
There is a broker which advertises in the back of Flyer, and which provided me with a year's family travel insurance to the US and Caribbean to cover me for self-fly aviation and scuba diving at a very reasonable rate. I can't remember the name but I will PM you the details when I get home tonight.

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jan 2006, 13:04
Traffords will do it.

strafer
5th Jan 2006, 16:20
Got a year's cover with Traffords last Nov. £90 as I recall.

Any private flying. Worldwide.

Keef
5th Jan 2006, 18:25
I've been with Traffords for many years, and very happy with their package.

Some holiday firms now insist on you having such insurance,and make you buy theirs unless you already have one. I pay Traffords for the year what a certain large travel organisation wanted to charge the missus and me for three weeks.

Traffords also covers flying, whereas...

Justiciar
5th Jan 2006, 18:31
Traffords are who I was thinking of. £140 for family of 5; US and Caribbean as well as Europe; flying + diving to 30 metres. Not bad at all.

TangoZulu
6th Jan 2006, 11:56
£112 each sounds a lot.
We have a policy which includes flying (specifically requested at renewal as I was off to fly at Courchevel in the Alps) along with winter sports (including off-piste skiing for the Mrs - i only try and ski with a plane!) for around £114 for the two of us.
At work at the moment - wil try and find the details at home - I think it is from Axa or someone similar (or a subsidiary).
PM me for more details and I will see what I can find.
TZ

Having checked now at home the details are as follows:-

Direct Travel Insurance Services (subsidiary of AXA)
Annual Adv-Premier policy
- covers all the winter sports, multiple trips etc - worldwide policy including the USA
Cost £122 in total for two of us
(including the flying premium which I think was around £12 pounds extra per person for the year)

goose67
6th Jan 2006, 14:53
Bought an annual multi trip policy from Traffords last month for me as flight crew and the "boss" to sit with me. Cost was £126.90.

charliegolf
6th Jan 2006, 22:09
Endsleigh, the students' insurer do an addon policy for 'anything' (and it really seems so too). Flying is explicitly included. About £25 for 2 weeks. You'll need your ordinary policy.

CG

PS

I have, through my bank, permanent travel ins, so never checked endsleigh's own- maybe they do the whole caboosh.

slim_slag
6th Jan 2006, 22:43
If it's a standard UK bank issued multi trip policy it will have an exclusion for private flying. Does the Trafford one cover you for liability if piloting a small plane?

goose67
6th Jan 2006, 23:30
Yes. Fixed Wing Flying or Gliding applies. Aerobatics is an optional extra that can be included. Traffords are agents for Lloyds. Personal liability cover is up to £2,000,000 with a £250 excess.

slim_slag
7th Jan 2006, 08:16
In that case it's a bargain. US$3,500,000 liability would cost a lot lot more than that if you bought it in the States, plus you get the medical coverage which would also cost a lot. One would be unwise not to get it before flying in the US. I wonder if they would also cover third party liability while driving a rental car, that costs a lot of money in places like California where it isn't covered as standard.

goose67
7th Jan 2006, 10:12
Yep, from what I have heard, they seem to be a respected insurer for the aviation community over here in the UK. Medical Expenses & Repatriation cover is up to £5,000,000 with an excess of £35 + Hospital Benefit of £25 per day up to £1,000. Search & Rescue cover of up to £5,000 with no excess is also included. Aircraft Hire Excess Waiver of £750 is an optional extra. I understand you are covered for aircraft damage by the FTO subject to an excess of £750, so this policy takes care of that. Not sure about the rental car third party liability, although Car Excess Waiver of up to £250 is included as standard. I'm pretty sure you could get it as an option.

I leave for the US in 2 weeks' time, and I have to say the policy has given me peace of mind.

chrisbl
7th Jan 2006, 10:37
Traffords, no problems

S-Works
7th Jan 2006, 14:20
My American Express (centurion - black card) policy covers me for any stupidity I want to undertake and is included in the card fee. I believe it is also included in the Platinum Card and is an option on the gold and green cards.

It is an annual policy and very comprehensive, something to consider as the card fee is virtually the cost of the insurance?

What's a Girdler
9th Jan 2006, 08:33
Thanks all, had a reasonable quote from Traffords, so I think I'll take that option.