PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with route.

TotalBeginner
4th Jan 2006, 22:29
I was hoping to fly from Fowlmere to Shoreham in a few weeks and would appreciate some advice on a suitable route. The flight will be VFR in a PA28.

So far I've come up with:

EGMA DCT BPK DCT LAM DCT EGTO DCT MAY DCT EGKA

My only concern is that the BPK-LAM leg is very close to the edge of the EGSS CTA. I don't really want to drop down to 1400 due to some of the built-up areas surrounding the M25.

Does anyone have any experience of using the low level route between Ware and Epping?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

bookworm
4th Jan 2006, 22:42
If you're going to go all the way east to Rochester anyway, why to head east to start with and go down the eastern side of the Stansted zone?

Flash0710
4th Jan 2006, 22:49
Good call BW eastof EGSS to east of EGKK zone coast out at eastbourne follow coast tea medals Shoreham :ok:

BPK to LAM may/ought to take you overhead Stapleford EGSG. East of all will only mean a few jinks to avoid Southend and Gatwick.

Hope it goes well...

Hope im not wrong

Big luv

f.

unfazed
5th Jan 2006, 08:19
Suggest you stick with your original plan BPK - LAM

This is a fairly short leg and is over open countryside, you can get a FIS from Thames and the Lee Valley resorvoirs are great checkpoints, on a good day the view of London Docklands is quite nice. Also it is quite nice to have LAM as a VOR backup and Stapleford as an emergency alternate (watch out for North Weald which is often mistaken for Stapleford)

2Donkeys
5th Jan 2006, 08:56
EGMA DCT BPK DCT LAM DCT EGTO DCT MAY DCT EGKA

This is a VFR flight? So fly VFR and don't follow beacons.

There are plenty of great visual cues, by way of example.

As you leave Fowlmere and climb to 1400 feet, you first concern is to avoid the Luton an Stansted zones. So first you find Royston (visible from the circuit). This is easily identified because it is the only town of its size in the area.

From there, you head south, passing over Buntingford. This too is visible from Royston, and has a big supermarket supply depot on one side. No other towns around to confuse. You then set up for a track of about 180 and you will see the expanse of lakes around Ware. Follow the clearly identifiable banana shape of lakes around past Harlow and you will avoid the Weald, and can head down clear of the Stapleford ATZ. As you do, you can climb to 2400, and you will not have passed over a built-up area since take-off.

Use the QE2 Bridge as your next aiming point, keeping you well clear of the City zone.... and so on...

It is a better way to fly.

Andy_R
5th Jan 2006, 09:37
Be careful routing via MAY VOR, it is very close to the edge of Gatwick's zone. As 2D's says it is an easy VFR route with regard to visual clues.

If it is in the afternoon you will be flying straight into the sun though which can reduce visibility somewhat. I would assume you will more than likely be undertaking the trip in the morning though.

Andy_R
5th Jan 2006, 09:44
Use the QE2 Bridge as your next aiming point, keeping you well clear of the City zone.... and so on...

It is a better way to fly.

........from the QE2 Bridge stay east of Sevenoaks whilst talking to Biggin, then it is simply a case of hopping from there to Tunbridge Wells, Crowborough (keep east of it!!), Uckfield, Lewes and then to Shoreham.

If it helps, from that direction you can expect one of these options:

1. An overhead join regardless of runway in use.

2. If 20 in use a left base join, not below 1600', report at the tunnels (follow the A27 from Lewes, north of Brighton, until you see 2 tunnels carved into the Downs).

3. If 02 in use a crosswind join (left hand circuit) at circuit height.

Kolibear
5th Jan 2006, 11:56
When you get to Ware, beware that the Stansted Zone is down to 1500' so either ease a little west or duck under it. Carry on south to the M25. Turn left and follow it round to the QE Bridge, but call Stapleford before you go through their overhead as they will be busy.

At the Bridge, carry on due south until you cross the coast, turn right and Shoreham is about 10n ahead of you.

ronnie3585
5th Jan 2006, 12:40
I find this web page quite good as a guide (and only a guide) when planning a trip http://www.flyingineurope.be/new_page_1.htm.