PDA

View Full Version : Monewden - Another Airfield Needs Your Help

J.A.F.O.
4th Jan 2006, 12:38
Over the Christmas period the users of Monewden airfield discovered that the local district council had put together a report with a view to taking enforcement action and placing a stop order on the airfield severely restricting movements to 150 movements (75 flights) per year.

At a meeting this morning (4th Jan) the Council decided, following representations from the landowner and users of the airfield, to defer decision for one month to allow a more detailed and accurate report to be put forward.

With that in mind could I ask that anybody who has flown into or out of Monewden at any time in the last thirty-five years looks through their logbooks and digs out details.

Obviously messages of support for the airfield would be welcome but what we need most now are facts in order to establish use of the airfield.

Contact me any way you wish with any details.

Thanks for your help.

turniphead
4th Jan 2006, 15:32
my first logbook landing there was 25/6/1985
What other details do yoy need

J.A.F.O.
4th Jan 2006, 21:07
If you could PM me with all dates and numbers of take-offs and landings at Monewden that would be great.

Many, many thanks.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Jan 2006, 22:52
I assume you've already been in touch with Bill Stitt. He's been operating out of Monewden for some time with his club Horizon.

I haven't been in there myself, but I'm sure I know a few who have. I'll direct them to this thread.

J.A.F.O.
5th Jan 2006, 21:37
S A S

Thanks for your reply, it's mainly a picture of usage prior to Bill's arrival that we're trying to get an idea of.

S-Works
6th Jan 2006, 08:24
JAFO what is the history of this place?

trevs99uk
6th Jan 2006, 10:15
put you problem on these sites...

http://www.gaac.co.uk/
http://www.airfields.org.uk/

also has anybody posted it on the PFA website as they are the aircraft types that are more likely to have been into Monewdon.

Justiciar
6th Jan 2006, 13:03
I suspect that the council are planning to issue an Enforcement Notice rather than a Stop Notice, as the latter cannot be issued in respect of any activity going on for more than 4 years, and the council could be liable in damages if they wrongly issue one.

You can appeal an Enforcement notice on the grounds that either Planning Permission should be granted or that you would be entitled to a Certificate of Lawful Use. The latter is the better line to take as Certificate of Lawful use has to be granted by the council if you demonstrate the activity has been continuing for 10 years or more, whereas Planning Permission becomes more of a political issue and you have to advertise the application, thereby bringing the NIMBYs out:E

Any appeal suspends the enforcement until the appeal is determined or withdrawn.

Of course you will have to establish the extent of the activity you are claiming, i.e. every day of the week, Sundays only etc. It is however unlikely that the Council could limit the Certificate of Lawful Use by numbers of flights in or out. Where do they get their figures from?

My experience is that Councils tend to take the line of least resistance by picking what they perceive to be soft targets. You can of course prempt their enforcement action by yourselves applying for a Certificate. Before you do this you need Statutory Declarations from sufficient people to establish the length and extent of the use.

stiknruda
6th Jan 2006, 20:24
JAFO - see PMs

over two hundred movements until 27/7/99

and then a few more to present!

Stik

J.A.F.O.
7th Jan 2006, 00:04
Thanks everybody, keep them coming.

Bose - Cherry Tree Farm, Monewden is a delightful little farm strip that's been in existence for a little over 30 years.

J.A.F.O.
9th Jan 2006, 23:55
Any replies by 18th January, please.

:ok:

J.A.F.O.
5th Apr 2006, 21:47
I'd like to thank everyone who responded to me or direct to Monewden, it has allowed headway to be made by those who are fighting for the future of Monewden.
The application for the “Certificate of Lawful Use and Development” has now been lodged with the council.
The council is now seeking representations from interested parties as part of the process.
I would ask all of you and any pilots you may know, that have personal knowledge of Monewden to write, NOT email, in support of the application.
It is important to state that you have known of the airfield for 10 years or more, if possible and that you fully support this application.
If you don't actually state that you support the application then they'll assume that you don't mind either way.
Quote the planning reference C06/0537/LDCE and the title Cherry Tree Farm , Monewden Airfield.
Letters must reach the Head of Planning before 19th April.
For any more details email or PM me.
Thanks.

stiknruda
5th Apr 2006, 21:51
Just Another Fornicating(?) Observer ????????????????????????

Post details of where I have to send my letter to and I'm sure that all the guys in my old syndicate will happily scribe on your behalf.

Yours

Stik

J.A.F.O.
5th Apr 2006, 22:05
Stik

Devilishly close with the decode.

Mr PJ Ridley
Head of Planning Services
Suffolk Coastal District Council
Melton Hill
Woodbridge
Suffolk