PDA

View Full Version : Licence renewal

18greens
3rd Jan 2006, 22:29
Does anyone know if there is a safety related reason why we must renew our licences every 5 years. I would hate to think its only there to shuffle paper. I know its not there to make money.

ianperry34
4th Jan 2006, 08:55
Hi 18

I still hold a UK CAA PPL, never needs renewing. I didnt feel there was any drawback in not changing to a JAA licence. Still have to do a 2 yearly flight with an instructor and hours requirement is the same.

Regards

S-Works
4th Jan 2006, 09:12
I seem to have a cluster of licences for the UK alone. Old UK CAA which never expires, NPPL and JAR PPL. I just wanted the one licence but after JAA the CAA would not add a multi rating to my CAA licence and sent me a JAA one so I now have both.

I am pretty sure the 5 year renewal is just a cash machine function!

Whopity
4th Jan 2006, 22:31
Bose,

There is absolutely no reason why the CAA cannot add a ME rating to your existing CAA Licence. Are you sure the licence they sent you is a JAA licence, you would have had to fill in a new licence application to get a JAA Licence!

What does it say on the front page? Both JAA and UK licences now look identical except that a JAA licence says JOINT AVIATION AURHORITIES directly under the CAA Logo on Page 1. A UK CAA licence says FLIGHT CREW LICENCE under the CAA Logo! So which do you have?

18g
With regard to the 5 years, Many European countries wanted a 1 year licence and that was the original JAA proposal. The UK argued for 10 year licences, the compromise was 5 years. It has nothing to do with safety. Issuing Licences for life has its problems, when does the life end? The CAA have about 70,000 PPLs on record and don't know if the holders are still alive!

BEagle
5th Jan 2006, 07:35
The old UK R/BCPL still exists (if you already have one) and lasts for 10 years. The 5 year requirement was part of the fraudulent Regulatory Impact Assessment which the CAA pushed through in order to be aligned with JAR-FCL before it became mandatory. Despite many protests, they alleged that the lower initial issue costs, plus 5 yearly reissue, was cheaper than the old lifetime UK PPL issue. This was clearly utter rubbish - but the requirement was pushed through nonetheless.

Which is another reason for the lifetime NPPL. At present, the NPPL has a lot of faults mainly due to the CAA failing to amend the requirements as agreed with the NPPL Policy and Steering Committee. Hopefully these will be ironed out this Spring, but we're at the mercy of the glacially slow CAA parliamentary drafters..

There is no reason why you should EVER change a lifetime UK PPL(A) to a JAR-FCL PPL(A), nor any reason why the CAA should not add a MEP Class Rating to a UK PPL(A) or UK R/BCPL!

Papa Charlie
5th Jan 2006, 07:58
Will the licence be automatically renewed or does one have to fill in a form....?

Thanks.

Mariner9
5th Jan 2006, 08:26
This http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1102.PDF form is the one required for renewal.

Costs £63 :mad: :mad:

S-Works
5th Jan 2006, 08:37
When I called SRG a few years ago just as JAR came in to addd my MEP they told me that I would need to apply for a JAA licence. I duly did and now on my desk I have 3 licences, CAA, NPPL and JAR-FCL. Not to mention, FAA, SA, Canadian.

Sounds like I was given a bum steer in the JAA confusion. But I would not have been able to add the IR to the CAA one in the current JAA world?

Whopity
5th Jan 2006, 13:37
Yes you can still add the IR to a UK licence. It is only the licence they cannot issue after 30th June 2000. Those who held one prior to that date can renew it, add ratings and continue to use it ad infinitum or until the man from EASA say NO!