PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Logs

Mr Garrison
3rd Jan 2006, 02:41
Hi All,

I know I've posted in the Aussie section of this site, but haven't had any in-depth replies, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

Have been reviewing my fuel log taught to me by my flying school recently and don't think that its comprehensive enough. I have been taught to make a recording in the log every 30 mins, but this recording is the time, expected fuel (litres), actual fuel (litres from fuel gauge) and endurance (minutes).

Although this takes into account the total fuel on board, it doesn't make it clear at any stage exactly how much of the total fuel is allocated to things like:

Variable Reserve
Alt Fuel
Holding
Fixed Reserve

I know that there is a fuel plan on the back of flight plan submission forms that states the above, but when recording a fuel log isn't it important to know things like, how much fuel we have left for cruise, how much is allocated to the 15% variable reserve, how much fuel we can allocate to things like Point of No Return etc etc.

I'd like to know what other people out there are using for the recording of their fuel logs and if possible to display the format they are using (i.e -> what they are recording when they are writing into the log)

Many thanks in advance......

Mr G

Farmer 1
3rd Jan 2006, 06:31
Your fuel-required calculation should include: fuel for the start, fuel for the trip, a percentage extra (e.g. 10%), plus a reserve (e.g. 20 minutes flying time). Other than the start and trip fuel, the extras may be down to you or your employer. There may be more, e.g. holding fuel, but let's keep things as simple as possible.

If you subtract the start and trip fuels from the total, you end up with the fuel remaining on landing, provided, of course, the trip goes according to plan.

When you do a fuel check in flight, calculate how much more you expect burn off before destination, subtract that from the fuel remaining, and it should not be less than the calculated landing fuel. It should actually be that figure plus the 10% of trip fuel.

The reserve fuel figure (20 minutes in my example) should be constant, and imprinted on your brain.

Part of the fuel checks should include a calculation of fuel used since the last check, and compare it with the expected consumption rate.

Personally, I do a fuel check every 15 minutes.

Rod1
3rd Jan 2006, 17:11
I find this concept very odd. I tend to treat all fuel gauges as highly inaccurate, and most do not move over 15 min, let alone give you precise usage. I keep a detailed account of fuel used, dip the tanks before takeoff, work out a proper plan with appropriate reserves and fly the trip. I use the gauges to tell me if I have a bad fuel leek, which is all they are good for! Achieved accuracy on a usage of 9.2 GPH is 0.1 Gal (imp).

Rod1