PDA

View Full Version : Night qualification in the midlands

pupflyer
1st Jan 2006, 13:03
Hi, this is my first post so please go easy ;)

I intend to get a night qualification this winter and would appreciate forumites opinions of the best FTO in the midlands area (south of Manchester and north of Birmingham). Due to work commitments training would need to be at the weekends.

I intend to use my own aeroplane but would need overnight/weekend parking, my home airfield does not have runway lighting.

HGFC1
1st Jan 2006, 14:34
Try The Flight Centre at Wolverhampton. The last slot of the day is at 1600 and it is dark by then. They are open seven days a week (excluding Christmas Day and New Year's Day). There is plenty of parking available and it's a great, friendly, very helpful place. Why not ring them up for a chat? :ok: Here's the url for you: http://www.hgfc.co.uk/

pupflyer
1st Jan 2006, 14:57
Thanks for your reply, my concern would be the timing of the "last slot", 16:00 seems to be very early (assuming the usual 1 hour training slot applies) and potentially could take several weekends to complete the course.

My idea was to complete the course in a single weekend weather permitting of course.

Fried_Chicken
1st Jan 2006, 16:26
A bit further south then yourself but I believe that one or two of the schools at Coventry Airport might do what you're after.

Fried Chicken

S-Works
1st Jan 2006, 16:45
Leicester Aero Club. Great club and the staff will look after you very well.

pupflyer
1st Jan 2006, 17:08
A bit further south then yourself but I believe that one or two of the schools at Coventry Airport might do what you're after.

Fried Chicken

I'll certainly investigate that option, Coventry have always provided me with a good service when passing the CT. Can you recommend a FTO their I could contact, I believe there are more that one.

As I said earlier I would like to do the course in my own aeroplane (Beagle Pup 150) do you think there would be any problem with an instructor being familiar on type?

pupflyer
1st Jan 2006, 17:15
Leicester Aero Club. Great club and the staff will look after you very well.

Leicester is just the other side of EGNX from me but wasn't aware they did night training at the "weekend".....I'll give them a call. Just hope they don't insist upon using their own aircraft.

S-Works
1st Jan 2006, 18:49
They will let you do it in anything you want. My friend did his in my aircraft. The club is very flexible and usually happy to accomodate. Speak to Dave Biddles or John Pugh (CFI).

RED WINGS
2nd Jan 2006, 18:28
Try giving Ian Hiatt a call he is an experienced freelance PPL instructor/examiner real nice guy and travels to meet his students at a few airfields accross the midlands. I think you will find Coventry the most likely place unless you can meet specific nights at the smaller fields. Have a chat with Ian 07961451565 if he cant help you Im sure he will point you in the right direction.

Malcolm G O Payne
3rd Jan 2006, 20:26
Wellesbourne is open for night flying on Thursday and Friday evenings, subject to weather. Contact them on 01789 842000.

squawking 7700
4th Jan 2006, 07:37
Tatenhill open, weather permitting, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Possibly other times by arrangement.
Check with them - 01283 575283.

Dusty_B
4th Jan 2006, 14:24
Try giving Ian Hiatt a call

Top banana guy, sorted me out for a night qual mid summer last year. Did it in three nights (starting at 11pm!) with Almat flying Club.

julian_storey
4th Jan 2006, 21:40
Try AWA at Coventry. Speak to Bob Bowles. Coventry is open all night I think - so no pressure.

Good luck!