PDA

View Full Version : Popham

chevvron
1st Jan 2006, 10:52
Is there a fly-in at Popham today (1 Jan)?
I only ask because I can see lots of aircraft on radar all pointing in that direction.

porridge
1st Jan 2006, 12:50
Yes - see: http://www.popham-airfield.co.uk/Events.htm

robin
1st Jan 2006, 13:09
Lucky b*gg*rs. We're rained in here with gusting winds......

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jan 2006, 15:51
Drove past on the way to see some friends, looked absolutely packed - just sorry I couldn't make it. Popham fly-ins are always good.

G

Mike Cross
1st Jan 2006, 16:28
It was a very good turnout.

Q. If most other airfields were closed where did they all come from?

Mass arrival of our 5 Luscombes (and an interloping Taylorcraft) came at a particularly busy time.

Monocock
1st Jan 2006, 18:24
Agreed, it was a great day out and I enjoyed it all the more for being an interloper on the quintet!

Good to see some others there too including Bletchley in his beautiful motor glider.

Here's to another good year of being airborne:ok:

smithoag
1st Jan 2006, 18:40
As a ground-bound enthusiast visitor to Popham today,can I say a big thank you to all the pilots who brought their aircraft along,and to the management/staff at Popham for keeping it as one of(if not THE) friendliest airfield I can think of(& I've visited quite a few)
happy landings to everyone for 2006
Colin
Oxfordshire Aviation Group

robin
1st Jan 2006, 22:07
Just out of interest, what were the conditions at Popham today?

How boggy were the runways?
What were the wind and rain like?

Mike Cross
2nd Jan 2006, 08:38
Wind from the North, pretty much as forecast. Cloudbase 2700 ft on QNH at 10:45 and improving as the day went on, ground soft but not a quagmire, some turbulence at low level as would be expected in the windy conditions. Vis excellent. Wind at 2000 ft appeared to be around 30 kt.

Mike

bletchleytugie
2nd Jan 2006, 15:55
We had an interesting trip back to Bicester. Between Newbury and Didcot there was evidence of a low level wave system setting up, although it wasn't easy to find we eventually contacted it and managed to climb above cloud base and worked our way along it towards to Benson.

A nice day out to start the flying year off.

smithoag
2nd Jan 2006, 16:01
We had an interesting trip back to Bicester. Between Newbury and Didcot there was evidence of a low level wave system setting up, although it wasn't easy to find we eventually contacted it and managed to climb above cloud base and worked our way along it towards to Benson.

A nice day out to start the flying year off.

Looking at your profile,mate,I see you fly Chippies(among others)....
was that you in the Lycoming engined Chippie yesterday.Only wondering,as you don't see too many of them around today....and very nice to see,it was!!!!
Colin

Mike Cross
3rd Jan 2006, 08:14
Negative, he was in the yellow Falke

Mike

smithoag
3rd Jan 2006, 11:56
Negative, he was in the yellow Falke

Mike

Cheers Mike
very nice to see none-the-less
Colin

Rocket2
3rd Jan 2006, 12:01
Bletchly
What height did you contact the wave? - tried it over Hungerford & gave up at 4000' when our mightily underpowered Falke started to get bad carb ice (despite carb heat). New years greetings.
R2

bletchleytugie
3rd Jan 2006, 17:51
Smithoag: 'VH belongs to the Navy at Lee on Solent I believe.

Rocket R2: Ran into what felt like rotor to the East of Chievley at about 2500 on the Popham QNH Turned into wind, pushed forward and it eventually it all smoothed out and up we went - makes a change. It wasn't very well defined and we stayed in it more by luck than judgment.

Tuesday morning was beautiful - took a 3000' aerotow, did some spinning and still managed to clock up 25 minutes in an Astir.

Lower the Nose!
4th Jan 2006, 00:34
Bletchly
What height did you contact the wave? - tried it over Hungerford & gave up at 4000' when our mightily underpowered Falke started to get bad carb ice (despite carb heat). New years greetings.
R2

Forgive my ignorance, but how can you get carb icing with carb heat on (assuming the carb heat is functioning properly)?

Rocket2
4th Jan 2006, 09:14
"but how can you get carb icing with carb heat on (assuming the carb heat is functioning properly)?"

Yes point taken, carb heat cured the ice but needed a lot of power (if such a thing can be said of a Rollason powered Falke) & heat to keep it clear near the wave bar. Anything less than almost full chat got the ice back quickly, although I was well within gliding range of home.
R2