PDA

View Full Version : Database card for KLN89B GPS

Kiltie
30th Dec 2005, 18:57
Where can I buy an up to date one of these?

Wrong Stuff
30th Dec 2005, 22:37
The Bendix King website has all the details - www.bendixking.com

A and C
31st Dec 2005, 17:34
I have found that the on line subscription is the best & cheapest way to update the data base.

I take it that you can get hold of a lap top and that the aircraft is fitted with a data port ( it should be as it was part of the install kit that came with the unit).

IO540
1st Jan 2006, 08:27
The options, I believe, are

1) Buy a card from BK (and they include a bag for returning the old one)

This is what I do because I have a KLN94 and a KMD550, and this is the only option for the KMD550. However, arguably, one can be BRNAV legal with just the KLN94 database up to date so I might move over to one of those below. The 28-day cycle update is a LOT cheaper if one downloads the data.

The cartridges are off the shelf CF cartridges but with a hacked filing system (not FAT16 or FAT32) so they can't be easily duplicated! One can buy blank ones from BK, very expensive at about $200.

2) Get a laptop, download the data into it from the BK website and transfer it (using a cable) into the GPS.

The downloaded data is encrypted with the serial number of the GPS, again to prevent sharing. The most popular method.

3) Download the data from the BK website, and using a compactflash writer with a specially hacked driver, program the BK flash card in the writer.

Again, the download data is encrypted with the S/N of the GPS, to prevent sharing. The writer was a retail USB unit made by Sandisk, now long obsolete. I have one (cost $35) but never used it. I don't know if BK ever moved to support a different CF writer. This option is handy if you don't want to mess about with a laptop in the cockpit.

Davidt
3rd Jan 2006, 09:56
There is another option; buy a "docking station" for the 94 its a Commander 2000 cost about £200. Download your updates to the PC and via the docking station into the GPS.

The advantage is that you can "fly" with your GPS at home in take home mode, in put routes,waypoints,set ups at leasure.