PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Florida

Callsign Kilo
20th Dec 2005, 09:55
Hi All

I am planning to go state-side towards the end of Feb/begining of March to build around 50 hours in 2 weeks. Florida seems most appealing as I can combine flying with a little holiday with the missus whilst over there. What I was wondering from those who have been is what are the best choices of schools, where can I get decent accomodation for two sharing and is flying around the state (sight-seeing along the way) possible and without complications?

Thanks in advance

CK

Superpilot
20th Dec 2005, 10:39
Hi mate,

I'll let others make suggestions for your flying and accomodation since I havn't been there recently, however just one point.....

Make sure your missus enjoys flying!

When I was there hour building, I met a guy who was over from the UK too. He had plans to take a plane from Florida down to NY-Chicago and back. He's plans ended early when he came back after 2 hours - he's missus could not take the turbulence and pleaded for him to stop. They went home the next day! :ouch:

KrazyKraut
20th Dec 2005, 10:48
Try EFT. That's a good JAA FTOs in Florida.

www.flyeft.com.

wessexairways
20th Dec 2005, 19:39
Went to the above,

Did 77 hours, multi rating and night rating all in 19 days.

Accom is a descent enough hotel and you are down town Kissimmee, Wing House, Hooters and all that!!

Got it down to below £40 an hour block rate for a PA28.

They also have no probs in letting you go anywhere, unlike other schools in the area who confine you to the locality.

I managed Key West to New Orleans, others went further.

Had plenty of acft, the only down side was a complete idiot of a CFI who I have since heard was given the boot. Believe he now stacks shelves in Kmart.

8/10 for this school.

eserifog
20th Dec 2005, 22:51
Hello,

Going to Florida for hour building is definitely a lot of fun. I did around 140 hours in a month and a half at Airborne Express based at Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport. Their rates were pretty good at 85$ per hour for 172s. Their planes are in good shape and the airspace at south Florida is much more challenging than other parts of the state.

I had a friend find accomodation for me becuase the school doesn't provide any.

Whichever school you decide to go to make sure you ask them about insurance and fuel surcharges. They tend not to tell you they will charge an extra $7.50 per hour for insurance and $15 per hour for fuel surcharge.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Crivens
21st Dec 2005, 11:02
That's a good JAA FTOs in Florida. What's the JAA got to do with hour-building? I've got no comment to make on EFT, but you can hire planes in Florida from just about anyone.

Always check compensation rates for fuel bought away.

A.Einstein
21st Dec 2005, 12:22
You should remember to get a FAA airmans certificate and then the skies the limit. What ever the guys say, taking your wife to Hooters is usually enough to give your average woman an inferiority complex! The waiteresses are selectivley bred. Theres plenty of scope in Florida, but Daytona offers close proximity to places such as Orlando,which is 50 mins away in a car, the space center , one hour and St augustine ( oldest town in America ), 1 hr. Too add to this you have beaches right outside your hotel door if staying in the main tourist area and a good night life. All are accessible in the plane as local municple airports are in abundance. Except for the the beaches of course, but again its exceptional for beach aerials! You have OBA in Daytona, which also has good accommoodation, but you will be sharing a house with other students and clients. A car is a must if you want to really get about or stay in a hotel and a three star hotel will cost approx $90 a night for a twin. Have fun

jimbo jet set
23rd Dec 2005, 15:44
Try www.sunstateaviation.com - they are bloody excellent. Nice planes, nice people, not the cheapest to look at initially but they have NO HIDDEN CHARGES which is more than I can say for some outfits in Florida- and believe me I have quite a bit of experience of them!!

They also let you take the aircraft as long as they're staisfied you're not likely to bend it. I did Vegas and back earlier this year in two weeks and 45hrs flying (leisurly and with a few excursions between)

Have fun,

Jimbo:O

DaveW
23rd Dec 2005, 17:04
If you're feeling flush, consider doing 5 or so of those hours at Jack Brown's, Winter Haven. (http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/index.htm) Everyone deserves a little bit of floatplane flying!

If you're feeling REALLY flush, then Kissimmee's just up the road... (https://www.stallion51.com/) :cool: :ok: