PDA

View Full Version : PPL License Issue Time Scale

ghandou
20th Dec 2005, 00:29
Hi guys,

I've just completed my PPL on the 08-Dec-05, I'm a complete newbie and of course excited about getting back up in the skies asap. Can someone please tell me when I should roughly expect my license through the door from the CAA? Cheers,

Jamie

wbryce
20th Dec 2005, 01:19
See link:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=137

This time of the year it should generally be around two weeks.

Happy flying,
will

skydriller
20th Dec 2005, 09:25
Firstly, Congratulations!

Additionally, You know I seem to recall you can still fly by yourself even without the licence in hand, right? I believe the restriction is you cannot fly with passengers until you have the licence in hand.

Regards, SD..

ghandou
20th Dec 2005, 10:42
Thanks guys.

Apparently it all depends on the school, at mine you're strictly grounded until you have your license in your hand, I know at some other you can fly without passengers but your instructor takes the PIC hours.

Anyways two weeks doesn't sound that bad.

Thanks again

Jamie

RodgerF
20th Dec 2005, 11:35

I know at some other you can fly without passengers but your instructor takes the PIC hours.

How?

skydriller
20th Dec 2005, 15:24
Jamie,

I dont know what you have been told or by whom, but I can assure you that if you are flying solo, ie with no instructor on board, YOU are the PIC and log P1 accordingly....

Regards, SD..

MyData
20th Dec 2005, 17:49
A timely post.

I completed my training and passed my skills test on 19th Nov. On the Monday (21st) posted my application with credit card details. Was told by the CFI that at this time of year it would only take a couple of weeks....

My credit card was charged within 2 days - so at least the registered post wasn't needed. I knew the application had been delivered.

Then today I was thinking - blimey, it's been almost a month of waiting for postie to arrive each day.

So I decided to call up the CAA (get the number from their web site). Spoke to a very helpful lady who checked my record. Apparently they were waiting for faxes of my exam papers to arrive, and they had just arrived TODAY. She asked me to give contact details and someone would call me if/when there was any significant reason.

About 30 minutes later I get a call from another lady at the CAA. Apparently everything is in order, the application only needs to be signed off. That should happen today and it will be in the post for tomorrow morning.

Many fingers crossed - but I'm hoping to get the license before the end of the year... It will have taken about six weeks by then.

What was disappointing was that there had been the need to fax the exam copies. No one had mentioned this to me - or did I miss something on the application form?

It is also disappointing that it has taken nearly a month for one party to ask the other to fax some info. Surely something that could be done in an afternoon.

At least I know its now on the way and I should be a happier bunny in a few days time. An ideal 'late' Christmas present.

OVC002
20th Dec 2005, 18:24
Congrats to all for achieving the PPL.

At the risk of being boringly repetitive:

Will somebody please enlighten me as to why the examiner cannot provide the candidate with a temporary licence, following a successful skills test?

There must be a reason. What is it?

Flik Roll
20th Dec 2005, 18:56
OVC002

Indeed! When you pass your driving test you have to drive with the copy of your pass tick sheet as a stand in license.

When I passed my skills test I went down to Gatwick in person.
Can't understand how they can take 2+ weeks to process an application - they don't even put the pages in the holder, yet within 5 minutes you can get the pages re-issued with a chnage of address on them.

Why does it take so long?!!?

bentleg
20th Dec 2005, 21:41
Even after you pass your PPL there are issues (such as security checks) that might prevent issue of PPL. Insurance usually requires a full PPL - so that's why some schools will only let you fly "Solo under supervision" until the PPL actually issues. In Australia, issue of PPL can take a month.

Bentleg

Ian_Wannabe
20th Dec 2005, 21:51
If you think about it, would it not make sense to provide a temp due to the fact that personally I would want to get in the air as soon as possible after passing the skills test.

I've not done it but for some reason I cant help thinking that that first flight as a "real" pilot would be a bit nerve wracking. So knowing the UK Wx plus the two or six weeks waiting, you'd be a bit out of trim? Perhaps... I dont know....?

bentleg
20th Dec 2005, 22:08
One reason that a PPL may not issue, following passing of the test, is that the testing officer, for whatever reason, may no longer be an approved tester.......

It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here.....

ghandou
21st Dec 2005, 01:11
I ended up giving the CAA a ring today, seems they have a backlog of applications and told me it'll be at least another 10 days, not taking into account their closure for the Xmas holidays. Therefore it looks like I won't be able to get in an aircraft for a good few weeks :ugh:

As has been mentioned, why does it take so long and why can't a temp license be issued? Very strange. Anyways, if that's how it is then that's how it is.

Hope all the other PPL holders reading this aren't taking this crisp weather we've been having in the UK for granted! I'd do anything to get up there!

Merry Xmas all

Hour Builder
21st Dec 2005, 06:46
I can think of one reason that a temp cert isnt issued, cause there has got to be times where the PPL course hasnt been met, and the pilot is required to do more training? or exams may have expired.

kookabat
21st Dec 2005, 07:09
In Australia, issue of PPL can take a month.

Took nine weeks for me. B@stards!:*

RodgerF
21st Dec 2005, 09:27
It is very important to check everything before the application is sent off. Delays occur due to some of the simplest things being forgotten. This is something the applicant's primary instructor should be doing during the course and at final application form completion.

Last year the CAA got an all-comers record for one of our members. Skill test 22/1, in post same day. Licence dated 31/1, PO tried to deliver on 3/2, in her hand 4/2.

S205-18F
21st Dec 2005, 11:14
My application was sent in on the 03/11/05 and I had my license in my grubby mitts on the 14/11/05 I cant fault them I thought that was great service and I noted that the issue date was infact 08/11. The 21/11 was the great moment and my son even flew with me now there is trust!! When questioned after the event if he had any doubts his comments were "I wasnt looking forward to the landing"
He has seen me fly model planes:O
John.

OVC002
21st Dec 2005, 12:29
If the CAA can delegate the task of examining an individuals ability to fly, surely they can delegate the task of checking the paperwork, to ensure it is in order.

As a point of interest, how many applications for a PPL are turned down each year. By this I mean turned down, not returned to the applicant because of an error and then issued once the error is corrected.

Whether one agrees with the idea of a temp cert or not, the only ramification would be that a newbie, having passed the skills test, could be flying around with pax for a few weeks before their application was disallowed as a result of a discrepancy in the paperwork. Against that is the fact of 2,500 new PPL's, each year, generally sitting on the ground losing currency ahead of their first proper flight as PIC.

As discussed here recently, many people never make a flight as PIC with pax. Some because by the time their licence arrives they have lost the confidence they had at the time of the skills test, and they are out of the flying club habit.

funfly
21st Dec 2005, 15:28
The CAA have to make you understand that they are an authority not a service :rolleyes:

Hour Builder
22nd Dec 2005, 08:50
Flik Roll wrote

"they don't even put the pages in the holder"

reason for this is the fact the licence needs to be signed by the pilot before its legal.....

......plus how long did it take you to put the pages in yourself?? how lazy are you? ;-)