PDA

View Full Version : Radar For Spotters

MAN777
15th Dec 2005, 21:18
I have noticed an advert in the Aviation shop at Manchester airport for a radar system for enthusiasts, it looks like a box with an aerial and comes with software to run on a PC, it provides a radar picture giving real time locations of aircraft using transponder information. priced at about £500.

Do any ATC know about this and how it works ?

Dizzee Rascal
15th Dec 2005, 21:28
I've also seen this.

I heard a rumour that the Tin Pot Radio guys (and gal) aka Thames Radar were all going to put their hands in their pockets to buy one each so that when London City are on Easterlies they don't have to drive into to work in order to control "City Radar".:O ;)

Is it true AlanM?

Speedbird1T
15th Dec 2005, 21:38
Hi there

This device was discussed a couple of weeks ago. You may wish to check out the previous thread regarding it here :http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=190532

BAW1T

MAN777
15th Dec 2005, 21:50
A bit over my head, but thanks for the reply.

chevvron
16th Dec 2005, 07:12
MAN777:
It only displays aircraft using a specific type of transponder called Mode 'S'. It does NOT show aircraft with Mode A/C transponders, or aircraft with NO transponder, thus does not give a true and complete picture of all the aircraft in the sky. Carriage of a Mode 'S' transponder is not (yet) mandatory, so save your money.