PDA

View Full Version : Aeroclubs / rental in Mauritius

Dufo
14th Dec 2005, 10:02
Are there any aeroclubs or rental companies for single-engine piston located on the island?
Or maybe taxi/sightseeing.

Jer

Jerico
14th Dec 2005, 20:30
When I was there about 5 years ago there was only one light aircraft a privately owned Robin R1180T based there.
I was fortunate and met the owner and had an enjoyable flight around the island, wonderful views.
I don't have his name but suggest you ask when you get there, maybe you will be lucky.

Rocket2
15th Dec 2005, 10:00
Dufo
I was there earlier this year & envy you, fabulous Island. Lots of Jet Rangers flying about between the posh hotels & golf courses, but sadly no light aircraft to be seen. To be honest having an engine failure would be interesting with the sea as the only option (the bountiful coral would sting a bit & tear you to shreds if you survived) as there are almost no fields that aren't covered in 5'+ high Sugar Beet throughout the island.
PM me if you want some more "off the tourist route" sights to see.
R2

MyData
15th Dec 2005, 17:23
For an aerial experience I would expect that helicopters will be the only option:

http://www.airmauritius.com/products/helicopter/helicopter.htm#operation

Regarding a ditch in the coral - I can vouch for the razor sharpness *and* that the crabs tend to camouflage themselves as they are as black as the underlying volcanic rock. Jeez, it brings a churn to my stomach even now - thought I'd made the swim to my private atoll only to see the rock 'move' en-masse. Crabs. Jumped back in surprise onto the razor like coral. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

R2 - I'd be interested in your 'off the tourist route' sights - I think we covered nearly every road on the island. Miles and miles of sugar beet, akin to driving around in the world's biggest maze.

Next time: helicopter transfers only for me and the missus.

DVR4G.DEP
17th Dec 2005, 10:12
Was there 4 yrs ago, had a flight on the Robin by a man called Bell Court.....................

There 4 months ago, spoke to the same guy, apparently no light a/c on the island, been move to Reunion Island Instead, gutted, but hey what can you do

Helicopter is around 25000 RS