PDA

View Full Version : Our Friends in Tucanos

ScouseFlyer
13th Dec 2005, 15:22
Operating out of a smallish grass airstrip(without an ATZ) in the East Riding I am quite used to low flying military aircraft of all types in the local area and accept this as part and parcel of flying.Whilst I appreciate they have every right to generally fly where they like down to 250ft given we are in class G airspace,it does worry me when a Tucano overflys the airfield at 250ft or thereabouts aal(700ft amsl) straight up the approach path for our one and only runway.This happened today some 10 mins after I had landed from the opposite direction.It's not the first time either.Earlier this year one intrepid Tucano aviator obviously seeing I had just landed performed an impromptu display just for me!!
No doubt any complaint would be met with the response that we are all operating VFR and hence it is see and be seen.However,surely it is good aimanship to avoid such situations if at all possible or am I being overly cautious?
Bye the way we are marked on both the quarter and half mil charts.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2005, 15:31
It is a requirement of the ANO that all aircraft make themselves aware of the circuit pattern of any airfield that they fly over or near. So, they should do that even for a small unlicenced strip.

I'd suggest picking the phone up to the CFI at Linton or Cranwell for a chat, the last thing they need is a problem with one of their students on an exercise and will almost certainly give you a fair hearing and have words in the right places.

G

360BakTrak
13th Dec 2005, 15:31
Might be worth venturing into the 'Military Aircrew' Forum.............if yer feeling brave enough!!;)

PPRuNe Radar
13th Dec 2005, 15:40
Part of the problem might be awareness. After all you can only follow the ANO and such like if it is an airfield you are aware of. If it's not publicised or marked then it's a fair defence for the mil flyers. It would be unworkable to assume every farmers field is also actually an airfield.

Let the local mil flyers know about your strip if it isn't on the charts and they can then brief for it :ok:

ScouseFlyer
13th Dec 2005, 15:53
PPRuNe Radar

My post was prompted to some extent by the fact that we are marked on both the quarter and half mil charts.Not being ex military I am not aware of how much leeway students are given once airborne eg are routes planned and not deviated from or is there some freedom?From my own perspective if I am aware that an airfield is on my planned track I will plan appropriately eg crossing altitudes etc.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Dec 2005, 15:55
Just a thought. In my mis-spent youth I was in the right hand seat of a military aeroplane which blundered through the overhead of a large civil airfield - fortunately causing no damage but considerable annoyance.

On investigation, the airfield was on the civil charts, but not on the (separately published) military charts that we were using. It is now!!!!!!!!

Might be worth asking. The RAF chartmakers will certainly be happy to add your place if it's not there.

G

PPRuNe Radar
13th Dec 2005, 16:03
From my own perspective if I am aware that an airfield is on my planned track I will plan appropriately eg crossing altitudes etc.

I am sure the mil flyers do the same. I think Genghis may have a possible answer. It's worth a call to the mil guys to make sure they know about your airstrip and have it marked on their mil charts :ok:

WorkingHard
13th Dec 2005, 16:26
Well at least the Tucanos are a bit easier to spot than the FJ we get LL. BTW we operate from a strip known to be on the military maps.

rogcal
13th Dec 2005, 19:24
Used to get loads of the little black buggers coming smack over the end of my strip but hardly any lately. Did try to get my strip promulgated on the military charts at the suggestion of a Cottesmore based Harrier pilot I know but the people at the MOD didn't want to know. Possibly thought the risk was so small it wasn't worth bothering about.

Feck
13th Dec 2005, 20:05
The 'black line' should (note should, not must) be planned to avoid known strips without ATZs. Good airmanship dictates that this happens.

However, not all strips marked on the CAA 1:500k are on the Mil 1:500k. The black line is not always followed (e.g. weather in Tucanos, tactical flying / getting bounced / making up time in other types), although pilots should have enough awareness to honour these locations.

The military are not subject to the ANO, so any reference to it is a red herring. They are, however, subject to a frightening amount of other rules and regulations!

Phil Space
14th Dec 2005, 04:45
Play them at their own game and get your own!

The Ministry of Defence, Disposal Services Agency (DSA) will have a number of Ex RAF Tucano T Mk 1 aircraft available for sale next spring.
For further information and expressions of interest contact Tina Randall at the DSA, tel, +44 (0) 207 305 3280, e-mail. [email protected]
http://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/wallpaper/tucano_03_0800.jpg

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Dec 2005, 07:43
You can contact their low flying coordination center who will discuss with you the options so that the mil crews are aware of your activities.

They want to get home for their supper as much as you do.

chevvron
14th Dec 2005, 08:35
Try contacting Military AIS at West Drayton (at least I think it's still there - may have moved to Swanwick) and ask them to ensure your strip is included in the Low Flying Section of the Military AIP. If there's no joy from West D. contact No 1 AIDU at Northolt

PPRuNeUser0172
14th Dec 2005, 15:52
Why is ZF 241 out of formation, god what are they teaching them these days:{

You should be greatful that a busy young Tucano chap/chapess took time out of his busy sortie to pay you a visit.