PDA

View Full Version : Training Overseas

cessna l plate
5th Dec 2005, 17:15
Hope someone can help.
I had to stop flying a couple of years ago now for financial reasons (I was skint!!) Just before I did, I flew my first solo. This is where I am up to. I have since tried to get a couple of hours a year and fly with some freinds in the right hand seat from time to time.

Now then, come the New Year, I should be able to scrape enough together to complete my training. It is my intention to get back to first solo standard and pass all the ground exams before I go anywhere to complete the ppl.

So I am looking for advice as to where to go. The sticking point is that most schools, certainly the USA ones, want 3 weeks. I only get 4 weeks holidays a year from work, coupled with the fact that this would not impress the missus one jot, I really need somewhere that will train and skills test me in 2 weeks or less if possible.

I am not against going to America, but I would prefer to stay in Europe if possible. Any advice anyone???

Romeo Romeo
5th Dec 2005, 17:25
Two weeks for a PPL is a bit optimistic even if you've got to the 'first solo' stage. I did mine over in the states and it took 3 weeks - and that was 3 weeks of constant work. I'd also done quite a bit of revising for the written exams before I went – and I managed to pass with only 40 hours flying.

You can cut down a lot on the workload by doing the learning for the exams before going out there; I’m not sure if the exams can be done over here and the flying tests over there.

Has anyone else managed a PPL in 2 weeks?