PDA

View Full Version : A1 Paramotors

stiknruda
6th Dec 2005, 07:17
For non UK readers, the A1 is a major north/south road running up the east side of the UK. It goes from London up to Scotland.

Sunday afternoon about 3-ish, and I'm driving up the A1 about 10 miles south of Peterborough, Connington. I was quite amazed to see a para-motor? ( a chap suspended from a canopy with a huge fan on his back) tracking up the left hand side of the A1 at about 100'.

My Ppruner pax, a commercial pilot and I began to ask ourselves questions about the sensibility of tracking up the "wrong" side of a line feature and the legality of doing it at such a low height.

Are para-motors regulated to the same degree as fixed and rotary wing?

I have no grudge to bear, am merely interested!

Stik

smarthawke
6th Dec 2005, 07:38
Stik

They operate from a field not far from where you saw it, around RAF Alconbury - East side of the A1.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2005, 07:47
No mandatory pilot training, not airworthiness regulation, no requirement for the pilot even to have read the rules of the air (let alone passed an air-law exam).

Whilst one can only be impressed by the safety record to date, personally I'd make their pilots pass the microlight air law exam before they launch!

G

MichaelJP59
6th Dec 2005, 07:56
Slightly worrying that they don't need any training at all!

They seem to have quite good climb performance as well, saw a couple of them at a strip recently and they quickly climbed to 3000ft, must have been cold!

AerBabe
6th Dec 2005, 09:30
I suppose that, if questioned, he could have claimed he were landing...

Confabulous
6th Dec 2005, 09:49
I've only been para(gliding) once, and I have to say I was impressed - like everyone else I went solo on my first go, and the sense of peace and freedom is really unrivalled, control is fairly positive - the two concerns I'd have would be landing (try using your legs as landing gear and you'll see and feel what I mean - I touched down on my arse plenty of times) and lack of air law knowledge as discusssed here - the newer para gliders (glide ratio of 8:1 I hear - pretty good for a flying pillowcase) can get very high, and naturally paramotors can go higher still - interestingly paramotor training isn't allowed in Ireland due to the legalities.

Personally I'd be very tempted to go high in a paramotor, just because I could, but I'd feel safer knowing the rules of the air, especially since even a glider could turn me into streaky bacon!

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2005, 10:20
As I understand it, the lack of a legal requirement for flying training has caused no particular problem - for the simple reason that unlike a normal aeroplane (where you just open the throttle) it's very hard to get airborne without being properly taught how. That tends to force any prospective paramotor pilot to get some proper training anyhow, and once a school has them they tend to get taught properly and completely.

However, the lack of air-law knowledge has caused more than a few problems (I know of two GA airfields which briefly gave permission for paramotor flying until they got seriously p****d off with a complete lack of acceptance of runway and circuit practices.

G

chevvron
6th Dec 2005, 11:11
Trouble is thety're so slow that their GS is usually below the threshold speed of modern radars. Will they be forced to carry mode S transponders dso they can be seen?
The 'operators' (I hesitate to call them pilots) then complain when another aircraft gets close to them.

bingoboy
6th Dec 2005, 14:18
Stik said "tracking up the left hand side of the A1 at about 100'."

suspect that at that height any GA traffic would be the wrong side of the law anyway

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2005, 14:27
AN EVANGELIST had high hopes when he took to the heavens in a motorised paraglider. John Holme planned to host his own religious event, preaching to the people of Salisbury by megaphone. Instead, he found himself dodging an electrified fence, trees and bird tables as his idea barely got off the ground.

His height on his maiden flight was sometimes as low as 6ft, and
occasionally residents said he flew over so low they could see the look of horror on his face. There was not much opportunity for preaching, and his efforts put him out of favour with the Civil Aviation Authority.

The flight earned him a £1,050 fine and £250 costs when he appeared at Salisbury Magistrates' Court for flying too close to a populated area and straying into airspace over an airfield. It was the first case of its kind involving a foot-launched, powered flying machine.

Holme, 39, who had planned to circle above in a controlled manner, later joked: "I thought that maybe if they heard this voice booming out from the sky, think it was God." He plans to carry his message from ground level in future. The preacher, who is married with two children, works as a computer software sales manager.

He had been given the £8,000 "paramotor - a paraglider powered by a 66cc engine, encased in a protective wire mesh, which is strapped to the back of the pilot - as a reward for generating sales of £500,000. The prize seemed perfect to spread the word of his church in the village of Coombe Bissett,
Wiltshire, where he is an elder.

"I wanted to try to get through to kids on council estates and I needed something with some cred," he said. "I can't believe I've got a criminal record after this."

Richard Griffiths, for the prosecution, said the flight started with a
quick prayer for courage: "That courage was very much needed because he found himself flying between houses on the nearby Castle Hill estate.

"He set off and seemed to be gaining height, but only at the same rate as the houses were climbing the hill. This caused him instantaneous fear. He was flying down the road with chimney pots above him."

One couple said they "could see the pilot's face so clearly they were able to detect the look of horror as he lifted his body to clear obstructions as he wound his way through the housing estate. At one point there was an electric wire fence across his path."

Holme, who embarked on the flight on August 8 last year from the city's Old Sarum airfield, eventually managed to gain control of the paramotor, circle and land unhurt in a field.

Holme once hoped to preach from a hot-air balloon "but I ruled it out because you can't steer them". He said yesterday: "flying with the birds fascinates me. I had been trying to get off the ground for months.

"The wind is critical. It has to be less than 10mph for a novice like
me. I just took a run and up I went. Then I said to myself, 'What now?"' The real problems started when the wind got behind him and sent him at 30mph in the wrong direction towards trees. "I managed to clear the trees but saw the houses behind them and knew I was not high enough to get over the roofs. "I made the decision to fly between the houses but did not know how to steer. I learnt that in the following 15 minutes. Considering it was the first time I had flown, I think my performance was not too bad. I just chicaned up the gardens, missing things by inches."

He estimated his maximum height at 500ft. His wife, Ann, heard the commotion from their home two miles away. While negotiating his way through the gardens, he says that he saw Heaven. He added: "I never thought I was going to die, but as a Christian I would not have been frightened of dying anyway." He has since flown 30 miles from Winchester to Salisbury without
incident, and is now hoping to get a private pilot's licence. The court heard that although Holme had not needed a licence or training to fly the paramotor, he had taken two training lessons and thought he was capable.

Chris Mason, a spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority, said: "The rules state that the aircraft shall not be flown closer than 5OOft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure except while it is landing."

"The Times", 13 March 1998.

G

DFC
6th Dec 2005, 15:55
While there may not be a requirement for a paraglider pilot to demonstrate their knowledge of air law, the old rule that ignorance of the law is not a defence applies.

Are required to have the mandatory 3rd party insurance?

Regards,

DFC

yawningdog
6th Dec 2005, 16:02
It wouldn't matter what side of the A1 the paramotor tracked. They fly so slowly that their relative speed to a light aircraft would make it appear almost at a standstill.

If I was him, I'd rather be flying towards oncoming traffic so I could take avoiding action, rather than have no idea whats coming up behind me.

stue
6th Dec 2005, 16:51
Iv seen a "paramotor" round my way, launching from a field not far from where i live. IMHO, it lookes like fun, but im not to sure id want to be doing it when it was windy, or even if i hadent got any air law "know how"

VP959
6th Dec 2005, 20:26
Whilst accepting that what has been seen seems foolhardy, why do aviators so often seem keen to be highly critical of a form of flight other than their own?

There are now thousands of people flying paramotors and paragliders in the UK. Virtually every Summer evening on my drive home from work I see a dozen or more in the sky at once.

They have an enviable safety record, in fact it's so good that the ANO was changed last year to formally free them from regulation (previously they had been operating on annual exemptions).

Sure they are slow, but so are balloons. They are also limited in performance, but so are many types of aircraft.

In my experience, the vast majority of paramotor/paraglider pilots are dedicated, sensible and understand enough air law to be safe.

Like any activity, one or two will make errors or behave recklessly, but that's no reason for other aviators to suggest tighter regulation for all of these people.

VP

Studefather
6th Dec 2005, 21:17
Possibly the same guy S'n'R saw on Sunday was on the south side of the A14 near Alconbury. I'd left Bourn around 2.30 so this would have been a little before 3.00. Height about 50 ft and no more than 100 ft from the road as he meandered west.
I know there is a grass strip in use nearby but he was well away from it.

I was in thoroughly post flight mood and enjoyed watching.
I should have been focussed on the surrounding 80 mph traffic though!

We need to maintain the individuals right to fly however and wherever it's safe, but it does seem that the 500' rule needs reinforcing.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2005, 21:20
we need to maintain the individuals right to fly however and wherever it's safe, but it does seem that the 500' rule needs reinforcing.
Making sure that all paramotor pilots know about it would probably be a good start - I'm sure that very few of them actually want to fly illegally.

G

ShyTorque
6th Dec 2005, 21:23
I never fly anything that involves the use of one's ar$e as an undercarriage. :hmm:

stiknruda
6th Dec 2005, 22:14
I reiterate:

I have no grudge to bear, am merely interested!

Now if they were fully aerobatic, could traverse the ground at a healthy gallop and could take a passenger, I wouldn't need to be on the A1!

Stik

VP959
7th Dec 2005, 05:10
quote: "Now if they were fully aerobatic, could traverse the ground at a healthy gallop and could take a passenger, I wouldn't need to be on the A1!"

Well, I think they can score about 1 1/2 out of three. They can carry passengers and are certainly reasonably aerobatic (positive g only!). There's a good bit of video circulating of a chap looping one of these (actually a paraglider, I think), in fact doing several "loops" one after the other at a high rate.

Air law is a part of the club pilot training syllabus, but was the chap at 100ft actually breaking the 500ft rule? As I recall, it's 500ft from any object, not 500ft above the ground. If he was over open ground and more than 500ft from the road, he could have been legal, I think.

VP

stiknruda
7th Dec 2005, 07:47

I am aware of the requirements of the 500' rule, in fact I often think of a 3:4:5 triangle from 1st year maths and if I fly at 300', 400' horizontally from my house - then I'm 500' away and therefore quite legal!

Was this guy closer than 500' - well I'd have to say that I would bet on it but I wouldn't go to court and swear on it!

I think that the slow groundspeed precludes a paraotor being my next "pocket rocket".

Stik

splatt
7th Dec 2005, 08:20
Just to clarify the airlaw point. *copied verbatim from the October 2005 PFA magazine* - Hope this is OK Brian (yes, yes. Pun semi-intended!).

----

Foot-Launched Powered Aircraft Now Under the ANO

Since 1996, powered hang-gliders and paragliders have operated in UK airspace under exemption from the Air Navigation Order (ANO), but with effect from 20th of August 2005, they are now defined in the ANO as 'self propelled hang-gliders' and subject to the same regulations as other gliders, regardless of whether they are flying powered or unpowered.

The CAA has drawn particular attention to two areas:

- The minimum age for a pilot is 16 years, and exactly the same rules apply to instructional flights when flown under power as when being flown unpowered;

- Pilots must comply with the Rules of the Air Regulations, including the 'low-flying rules' contained in Rule 5. This means for example, that flight in relation to built-up areas must be conducted so as to ensure that a landing can be made clear of the area in the event of engine failure.

John Hills, Head of the CAA's General Aviation Department, said: "I am very pleased that we have at last been able to recognise properly this branch of free flying in the legislation. It is essential that all instructors and pilots make sure that they understand the flying regulations and airspace rules that apply to their activities."

Pilots seeking more information should contact the CAA General Aviation Department on 01293 573316.

fyrefli
7th Dec 2005, 19:53
Foot-Launched Powered Aircraft Now Under the ANO

Since 1996, powered hang-gliders and paragliders have operated in UK airspace under exemption from the Air Navigation Order (ANO), but with effect from 20th of August 2005, they are now defined in the ANO as 'self propelled hang-gliders' and subject to the same regulations as other gliders, regardless of whether they are flying powered or unpowered.

Interesting - I was just reading this this afternoon in the back of an Airbus, in Skywings, the British Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association's magazine.

The "low flying" rules were particularly well illustrated. There do seem to be more reported incidents of this type now that paramotors (and powered hang gliders to a lesser extent) are more common. There's a much greater tendency for paramotor pilots to "bimble around" and this will, I guess, naturally lead to more problems than for those of us, unpowered, who take off from a hill then try and stay as high as possible until we're forced to land.

Unfortunately, once you can launch a paramotor you're far less constrained by skill level than a cross-country paraglider pilot, who can only go anywhere by keen understanding of the air and their craft's behaviour in it; also powered paragliders are far less likely to fly in close company. I would suggest that both these mean that unpowered pilots (of the same type of craft) will, of necessity, develop better airmanship.

I'm not saying that paraglider pilots never, for example, clip airspace but every step is taken to minimise this, for example by insisting on additional exams for entering even informal cross-country competitions and the mandatory submission of GPS traces.

On the insurance and licencing questions, the vast majority of pilots are trained at approved schools, study exams including air law and have two million pounds worth of insurance.

I did fly a paramotor rig once but apart from it being cheating it was far too noisy and heavy for me to even consider getting one.

Cheers,

Rich.

footlaunch1
14th Dec 2005, 13:25
Hi

The paramotor pilot who you refer to was coming back into my Brooklands Farm Microlight strip which is between the A14 North and the A1.
It is the home of Paramotoring in the UK we have held some of the largest Fly In's and National Competitions at the field which has been
established for over 10 years at this site.
The approach back to the field from the Southwest brings the pilots in on the West side of the A1
as the East side of the A1 has a large lake to the south of the field so it is always safer to run alongside West side of the A1 before
turning in to the field.
The majority of Paramotor pilots in the Uk have had training and do know about the Air Law. Met. Nav. Weather etc. As we teach to pilots who train at the Paramotors UK. site.
Over the years all types of pilots have been converted to Paramotoring.

We do not fly oversized pillowcases LOL as one guy has stated on this link. But very high tech designed wings which have variable geometry adjustable in flight to suite conditions. each year they get more and more refined in there design.

The sport has been around for the past 25 years. and since the exemption was introduced in 1996 there has been no
deaths in the UK making us the safest form of aviation in the UK so we must all be doing it right.

Low flying is generally carried out on set aside fields either side of the main runway for safety reasons this is to get the student pilots used to
there landing approach without the need to use the main runway which can remain clear for Microlight use. For any of you who pass by the site
and are interested in seeing the sport close up please feel free to drop in you would be more than welcome. directions at the following www.paramotorsuk.co.uk

You could also see how we can actually fly below ground level now there is something which will leave you thinking.

Footlaunch1

stiknruda
14th Dec 2005, 14:43
we can actually fly below ground level

Below sea level sure, I can understand that, but below ground level unless you've got a tunnel!

;) ;)

Stik

footlaunch1
14th Dec 2005, 17:13
Below sea level sure, I can understand that, but below ground level unless you've got a tunnel!

I will wait till a few more come up with there questions till I let on how we do it
:D