PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL v. FAA PPL (UK, N-reg)

IO540
5th Dec 2005, 15:24
Can anyone suggest why an FAA CPL would be worth doing over an FAA PPL, in an N-reg owner-pilot scenario and where the pilot has not the slightest intention of looking for an aviation job?

A JAA CPL without an AOC has very limited applications anyway and an FAA CPL appears to be of even less use, in the UK, because DfT permission is required for any commercial work in a foreign reg plane and it's granted only for specified categories of owners or part-owners receiving training.

Some suggest a CPL is worth doing because "it looks better" or because one gets an insurance discount. However my enquiries (Haywards mainly) don't appear to support the latter.

A turboprop is a distant future possibility but not a jet.

Any constructive views would be appreciated.

This is a serious question, so please avoid daft personal attacks else I'll delete the thread ;)

youngskywalker
5th Dec 2005, 18:29
Well, I suppose you could do it for your own personal acheivment value? Not all that expensive compared to the JAA equivelant.

Always feels good to be able to call yourself a professional. Just my humble opinion for what it's worth. And don't under-estimate the value of an 'ICAO' commercial licence, they are very much useable all over the world and most of the Corporate aircraft in Britain and Europe are operated on the 'N' reg by British pilots holding FAA licence (not commercial operation, they are usually private)

Also, I like to think ahead to my rocking chair, grandkids etc, and be able to tell them that you held a Commercial pilots licence. Maybe I'm vane however!

Something to think about perhaps.

YS

P.S Folks, if you are in the anti-FAA pilot camp then please don't feel the need to start another Oxford ATPL V's FAA argument, it's getting ever so boring! :rolleyes:

porridge
5th Dec 2005, 19:29
Have to agree wholeheartedly with ‘youngskywalker' on this one. I haven’t got much to say that he hasn’t already mentioned.
As for the OAT debate – don’t get me going. That’s not a flight training school it is a school for spin doctors vaguely involved in aviation!

flyingfemme
5th Dec 2005, 19:46
A CPL is not just for earning money...I did mine because it was a personal goal. Nobody's paid me yet...but I live in hope!

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Dec 2005, 20:46
Why ask?

You already knew the answer and everyone so far has confirmed that! Get those books out!

:}

IO540
5th Dec 2005, 21:56
That's what I thought. No technical advantage, just the perceived prestige. Could be worth doing just for that; it depends on whether I can stomach more revision and one more exam.

Are there really no advantages?

Years ago I read an article about a man who did a forced landing in a field (catastrophic engine failure). He had a CPL (FAA) and this enabled him to fly the plane out out of there (with a new engine fitted). If he was just a PPL, he would have had to pay someone to do it. I don't know if this was an insurance requirement, or a legal requirement in the country concerned (not UK in this case). A pretty bizzare example. Still, being able to fly the plane out saves a good few grand in not taking off the wings and carting it out, etc.

There may be some convoluted scenario in flying for one's business, while carrying a person not connected with that particular business (e.g. a customer or a supplier). Neither being a paying passenger of course. But this being N-reg, UK/Euro airspace, the applicable circumstances must be very narrow, if indeed there are any.

youngskywalker
6th Dec 2005, 08:34
The way I see it, there are only really two good reasons to do the CPL

1) The challenge/prestige/acheivment etc

2) You want a career as a Pilot

If you are happy with the PPL and you have no desire to work as a corporate pilot in Britain then there probably is no point in going through with it. I think that unless your heart is in it then you will be wasting time and money on something that you don't really want.

Weather or not you get chepaer insurance being a CPL is not something I would know. I did get insured to fly a twin a while back and the insurance company were only keen if I held a multi engine commercial, other than that I couldnt say.

dublinpilot
6th Dec 2005, 11:42
With an FAA CPL do you have more onerous medical & flight review requirements?

One of the reasons I've no intention of doing the JAA CPL is because of having to do a medical twice as often, and not being able to re-validate by experience.

dp

youngskywalker
6th Dec 2005, 12:06
The FAA first class is valid for 6 months, then after 6 months it downgrades to the 2nd class and so on...plenty of AME's that can do FAA medicals in the UK. Costs around about 100 quid or so, and no expensive initial like you do at Belgrano house, I did not have to take my clothes off and get my nuts squeezed by some old deaf bloke either.

To maintain the licence you are required to do a 'BFR' bi-annual flight revue with an instructor, and the same 90 day 3 take off's and landings rule, JAA copied lot's of the regs from the FAA it would seem. The instrument currency is every six months.

IO540
6th Dec 2005, 16:20
I can see there might be an insurance advantage in having a CPL with certain aircraft types (basically turboprop and above).

englishal
6th Dec 2005, 17:02
I would do it if I were you, with your experience you will probably meet most of the minimums. You may find you then have grandfather rights in the event of any unforseen changes inaviation......

Several reasons why I did it:

a) Personal goal. It made me a much better pilot, and I explored the "edge of the envelope" during my training which was damn good fun.

b) The Mrs is American and we did / do toy with the idea from time to time of moving there for a short spell (then Bush does something silly). In which case I could get paid to fly.

c) When the FBO says, "Hey Al, could you do us a favour and take the Arrow to XYZ for its 100 hour" I can legally do it.

d) You never know who you meet in this business, and there is always the chance of getting in the RHS of something fast and turbine powered. If for no other reason than a bit of fun.

e) Some FBO's look on it more favorably if you hold a ME CPL and you want to rent a twin in the USA.

f) I want to get my CFI/II/MEI tickets, so I can do your BFR and get a go in your lovely TB20 :O

So come along and join the elite group of Private Commercial pilots:D