PDA

View Full Version : Source a used KLN94 GPS?

Kiltie
2nd Dec 2005, 11:26
I am looking to upgrade my old KLN89B GPS to a KLN94 as it is a convenient direct slot-in replacement.

Any idea if there are many used ones on the market? It is after all a ten year old system which is probably getting replaced with GNS430s these days.

IO540
2nd Dec 2005, 11:43
http://www.seaerospace.com

is a great place for used avionics. All the right paperwork too, if you ask for it.

Just remember that avionics shops hate this stuff. The trade margin they make on the supply of the new item is as important to them as the installation cost. So check with your hopefully friendly avionics fitter before you do this.

The GNS430 doesn't do more than a KLN94. It's popular because it contains an FM immune radio/VOR/ILS, and its moving map display is slightly less useless than that of the KLN94 :O

Kiltie
2nd Dec 2005, 18:16
Thanks, what a useful website.

Looks like it'll cost me the best part of two grand. I need FM immunity at some point and the cheapest way is for a filter for my KNS80 Nav 1 box which is still about £1600 alone. Maybe I would be better ripping it out and installing a GNS430 to kill two birds.

As you say the map on the KLN94 is not fantastic, and doubt it justifies £2k just to replace the KLN89B.

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Dec 2005, 20:26
Go on IO540 now is the time to get rid of the old stuff and get a shiny 430/480/530.

480 best of the bunch.

FD

IO540
2nd Dec 2005, 21:39
I am not that rich, FD ;)

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Dec 2005, 22:03
False modesty!

:}

IO540
3rd Dec 2005, 08:09
The 480 (with the capability to enter airways by name, instead of loading in the whole list of intersections) is the only one on the list worth going for. The GNSx30 products are 1980s technology and my KLN94 + KMD550 is IMHO better.

But the install cost of a 480, in a plane in which it was never on the TC? £10k? One would need to rip up the whole stack and start again.

Kiltie
3rd Dec 2005, 10:01
Thanks guys.

Does the GNS430 have built-in DME as I would lose that for airways if I bin the KNS80?

Also does the GNS430 satisfy BRNAV for Europe?

A and C
3rd Dec 2005, 10:17
I would think very hard about replacing a KLN89B, true the KLN94 has a few more functions and a map but the system is a full approach aproved BRNAV system.

The thing that it lacks is a good display to me the way to go is to let the unit drive a display such as the new Sandel EHSI. this will give you a Nav display almost to the standards of a modern airliner without the micky mouse road map that clutters the Garmin.
If Eurocontrol ever get there heads out f the sand with traffic info & weather radar data links via the mode S you could display this as well.

In by opinion the KLN89B and Sandel EHSI offer real usable "in the air" performance at a resonable cost rather than a moderate size map that is of little practical use in the air but looks very good in the showroom.

Garmin have been very clever with the GNS430 in that it delivers COM/NAV/GPS in one package at a time when the world was full of ageing KX170 radios that are only fit for the scrap bin but it is no longer the best option in terms of ease of use and value for money vs performance.

IO540
3rd Dec 2005, 10:54
Kiltie

You need to think hard about this, in terms of your desired capability.

If you want european airways, note that for the UK you have to have an ADF, and for most places you need a DME. You also need a *BRNAV approved* IFR GPS installation, which is more than just screwing in an "IFR GPS" like a 430.

The GNS430 is a great deal for avionics shops but to the user it offers a tiny moving map, and your situational awareness is mostly from the moving map.

A KNS80 is a total waste of time because while it can be BRNAV certified it won't be much actual use in airways flying because ATC often give you a DCT to a VOR which is much too far away. A KNS80 won't work in that situation; it just becomes a very bukly DME. The only way to meet the nav requirement is with a GPS.

I will PM you some extra into.

Kiltie
4th Dec 2005, 08:59
Thanks. In summary, I need:

A solution to FM immunity (filter on the old KNS80 or bin altogether - but then I need my DME from somewhere).

A better moving map than the KLN89B but keeping BRNAV capability at the same time.

A and C
5th Dec 2005, 06:58
If I was in your sitution I would dich the KNS80 and fit a small DME and leave the KLN89B fitted.
This would leave you a lot of panel space for you next move to some sort of display that would do the map thing a lot better than a GNS430.

The DME I would recomend would be the KN64 as with the GPS you dont need the extra range that the KN62A will give you and it is cheaper.

The KN62A is the best bit of kit that I have ever fitted in 25 years I have never had to send one back to the avionics shop to be fixed (I have owned two) and if you are high enough it will lock on at 100NM+.

IO540
5th Dec 2005, 07:21
I have the small DME too. But can a KLN89 be BRNAV certified?

A and C
5th Dec 2005, 15:40
The KLN89B is BRNAV approved & approved for GPS approaches provided it has been installed I.A.W. the TSO.

The CAA opps department may have doubts about the approach but the technical people have no problems with it as it is EASA approved.

The KLN89 is not but there are some very good deals on KLN89B overhauled units from King that will just slide into the rack.

IO540
5th Dec 2005, 15:43
In tht case I wouldn't spend any money replacing a KLN89 with a KLN94. Both of them can take a load of waypoints and drive an HSI/CDI/whatever with them so the entire route can be flown using the GPS, with a DCT as required.

I'd supplement it with something that shows a decent size moving map.