PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a uniform on your PPL training?

BMI701EGCC
1st Dec 2005, 21:47
As i am going to start my PPL soon at Barton, im wondering if it is essential to wear the white shirt with the 1 or 2 stipes on the shoulder(or whatever it is when training)?

As anybody ever done this?

thanks

Scott Waterworth

Human Factor
1st Dec 2005, 22:01
Don't feel as if you have to....... ;)

bugz
1st Dec 2005, 22:09
Didnt even bother for the commercial training so certainly wouldnt bother for PPL. Wear whats comfy!

1st Dec 2005, 22:17
You have GOT to be joking!

733driver
1st Dec 2005, 22:23
Maybe this should be moved to Jet Blast.

If, however this is a genuine question here is howI look at it:

I never wear a uniform when I have to pay for flying the airplane.

Bealzebub
1st Dec 2005, 22:44
Yes, in much the same vein as wearing a barristers gown and wig when studying law at university. The laugh it will give everyone else will certainly break the ice.

Capt Claret
2nd Dec 2005, 02:44
To offer a contrary point of view, when I learned to fly in '83 I paid some AUD$17000 to get to Commercial Pilot Licence standard.

Later came Instructor and Instrument ratings. All paid for by moi.

When training for my CPL I was required by the flying school to wear a uniform which consisted of navy trousers, black shoes, white pilot's shirt, and epaulettes.

During all other training I wore said uniform minus the epaulettes. When I go to the sim nowadays for recurrent training, I wear the trousers and shirt but lose the epaulettes, and usually wear a casual jacket and my lucky tie (Wyle E. Coyote :E )

My recommendation would be if you're studying for your PPL on the way to a CPL or higher, don't wear the epaulettes but shirt/trousers is fine.

If your PPL is purely recreational, civvies would be best, lest you get snickered at.

A37575
2nd Dec 2005, 06:24
Yes - I agree. Definately wear a shirt - it creates a good impression and is better than a blue singlet unless you are a paid up unionist. Trousers are an option I suppose. You could be arrested by the constabulary for not wearing trousers so if you are going down that path make sure you have clean undies. . Surfer's board shorts are more comfortable with pockets where you can put your student's licence and if you have to ditch, you are already dressed for the occasion.

Gary Lager
2nd Dec 2005, 06:56
Do not EVER wear stripes that you have bought yourself!

I wore a flying suit for my RAF Flying Scholarship (long time ago); but then again, I was a tw@t.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Dec 2005, 07:28
Oh lordy. It's like saying that I need to wear a business suit, shiney shoes, a freshly ironed shirt, and be gnerally well groomed to read a book on Java or Enterprise Architecture.

All this dressing up stuff is just another way for a school to project a positive image. If you want to go to that school then tow the line. If not then I wouldn't even think about. An aptitude for professionalism cannot be reliably reflected through appearance, you will no doubt be continually assessed for this during normal casual conversation with your mentors and peers.

JJflyer
2nd Dec 2005, 09:08
OK... Lets put this thing into perspective.

If your school requires you to wear a uniform, wear it. If they do not care what you have on then dress as per weather conditions and what you would normally wear.

Flying in the tropics and other hot climates I often wore T-shirts and shorts with sandals. However up 65N and that sort where I am from winters do tend to get a bit "Fresh" so sweaters and longjohns was the way to go.

In Commercial flying I am required to wear a uniform (Thank god no hat) issued by the company. When I am flying for fun you wont see me in the "Clownsuit" unless I am ferrying airplanes through 3rd world countries where a uniform and golden stripes will open a lot of doors, though I still prefer nomex coveralls.

JJ

chippy63
2nd Dec 2005, 10:17
Gary,
I also did a flying scholarship, probably even earlier than you, at S & K at Biggin, and we had to wear CCF uniform. Mind you, in those days OASC was based there!

HZ123
2nd Dec 2005, 13:13
If it is raining I suggest you take a coat. The last time I got someone to dress as a pilot cost me £100 for 30 minutes.

James T. Kirk
2nd Dec 2005, 13:22
If we're talking about PPL training and a 152, then we're talking about a costume not a uniform.

Kirk out....

Gary Lager
2nd Dec 2005, 13:22
Chr1st, flying suit on flying scholarship one thing, but CCF uniform...makes me feel a lot better, thanks!

Did you wear your beret under or over the headset?

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Dec 2005, 14:55
It's Barton.

Barton! BARTON!

It's bloody winter!

Having been involved in 4 aircraft there on and off for the best part of 20 years (how is dear G-BEZZ these days folks?) the greatest need is avoiding both hypothermia and trenchfoot. I love the place, Fantastic 'grass' roots aviation but it's grass over peat and used to be in great demand as a location for the trench scenes in WW1 movies.

I'd recommend insulated wellies and an OZee microlighters' flying suit:uhoh: :\ :E Between December and April never walk between buildings without being securely roped to other members of your party. Many students have been lost through not listening to us old hands who bear the scars.

Regards
rob

BEagle
2nd Dec 2005, 16:17
I had to wear my CCF uniform during my RAF scholarship PPL course. A horrible, itchy khaki horsehair thing complete with webbing belt. Thankfully the damn CCF boots weren't suitable or it would have been boots and gaiters! And yes, we had to wear berets when travelling to and from the aerodrome....

Just wear what's clean and comfortable.

effortless
2nd Dec 2005, 16:48
Ha bloody CCF had everyrthing. We ATC had to do it in WW2 style battledress blouse, beret and the lot. Mind you when I got up there I wished I had me greatcoat on as well. Cold or wot?

Danny_manchester
2nd Dec 2005, 16:55
Yeah, i live adjacent to Barton, and have been their on many occasions, scott, don't be silly.

If you want to be taken seriously on here, here is a bit of advice:-

Its better to keep quiet and have people think you are some kind of idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it!!!

P.S. 2 STRIPES FOR PPL TRAINING?!?!?!?! your a crazy guy.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :sad: :oh: :suspect: :eek: :mad:

:p

BMI701EGCC
2nd Dec 2005, 18:16
sorry if its a stupid question, i just want to become the best pilot in the world. no seriously guys i think ill just wear the norm.

thanks guys, much appriciated

Scott Waterworth

Barcadi
2nd Dec 2005, 22:46
hi guys

talking about what to wear n' here it comes my question...it'll sound stupid to u but it really is a SERIOUS one

my job right now needs a glamorous up-do i.e. hair tied up, full make-up, skirt n' high-heels...problem is after work i've no time to change into sth more practical for the training..n' w/no car of my own there's no way i'd b able to carry an extra outfit+trainer on a tube+train+bus everyday!

so the question is....if i turn up in that 5th avenue look...would u guys take it as a joke...but more importantly..how practical'd it b for the training

thx

Danny_manchester
2nd Dec 2005, 23:05
Hi Bac. Well i suppose it depends on how you actualy look in your makeup,skirt and heels :).

don't mean to sound sexist, but its the way the world works :D, terrible i know :).

I suppose a change of footwear wouldnt go amiss, but if you look good? and neat, you should be fine :)

RENURPP
3rd Dec 2005, 00:18
As a long term instructor, I may be able to help, how about you direct me a photo of yourself and I will attempt to make an educated comment. Email it if you wish.

Stafford
3rd Dec 2005, 05:47
I did see a bloke flying a microlight in Scotland wearing ex service flying overalls (no stripes or epaullettes !) but didn't think too much about it since he was the only warm one there ! Certainly practical and he looked much more comfortable than the other Panda Bears in their padded duvets (Ozees)

He was also a reticent, quiet big big b:mad: d and anyone mad and hard enough to fly microlights almost naked in Scotland in winter is not to be tangled with :}

BEagle
3rd Dec 2005, 06:07
Barcadi, if you arrived for training in your 5th Avenue outfit, it might raise a few eyebrows.....

.....particularly if you were a bloke!

High heels certainly aren't practical in a light aeroplane, a skirt (unless it's a short one) might make operation of the control column difficult in some aircraft. And if your hair was tied up it would make wearing a headset rather awkward.

tonyhalsall
3rd Dec 2005, 07:04
Oh my God - What a thread........

Firstly a guy (young man? / very young man?) wonders if he should be buying his own eppaulettes for PPL training at Barton and as sublime turns to ridiculous we have Bacardi asking if 5th Avenue Hooker attire is acceptable - I mean can you imagine her climbing into a PA-28 - Uhmm hang on luvvie, I'll re-check the fuel contents whilst you get in....................

Surely this is not a real thread ???

I read this thread first at 7 in the morning, dozed off, and came back to it at 8 to make sure I was not dreaming.

Are these two people heading off towards ATPL? Christ I hope not, God help us all.

Final 3 Greens
3rd Dec 2005, 07:59
Oh lordy. It's like saying that I need to wear a business suit, shiney shoes, a freshly ironed shirt, and be gnerally well groomed to read a book on Java or Enterprise Architecture. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don't you mean jeans and sweatshirt? Pony tail optional:}

High Wing Drifter
3rd Dec 2005, 08:17
Don't you mean jeans and sweatshirt? Pony tail optional
Man, you are soooo, like, 2 years ago dude. Many of us are now either think we are adroit business types, feel compelled or are expcted to pretend to be. I even have to say things like "value proposition" just before I knock them dead with "Its obviously cross-linked tablespace problem" or "sounds like a heap pointer missallocation"

Whirlybird
3rd Dec 2005, 09:58
Guys, I hate to be a party pooper and spoil your fun, but....

I get the impression this was a serious question. Why shouldn't it be? We weren't all born experienced aviators who know the dress code (or lack of it) at little grass airfields. So Scott deserves some serious answers. Well, he got some, to which I'd agree - wear whatever feels comfortable. And now the rest of you are having a good laugh. Nothing wrong with that, except I don't think you should be having it at the expense of someone who just wants to do everything right before he starts to fly - a good attitude for a future pilot, let me say.

Scott, ignore this lot and feel free to ask further questions if necessary.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
3rd Dec 2005, 10:18
Whirly - I think Scott was having a larf.

Scott - don't worry. The Ogee and wellies as stated above will be most appropriate for EGCB in winter (and BEZZ is still buzzing around!). But for use at home, I think Transair do pyjamas with eppauletted jacket and four gold rings on the sleeves, should you feel the urge.:ok:

SSD

Edited to add that I've just remembered jellow jackets are compulsory at EGCB. Wonder if you can get them with eppaulettes? :E

Danny_manchester
3rd Dec 2005, 10:22
Bacardi, im sure you don't need me to inform you that they guy who asked you for a picture, was a bit of a perv :D.

I would suggest asking if you could leave a pair of trainers (shoes) and a pair of jeans at the airfield? so that you wouldnt have to transport them all over.

Scott, i will ask your opinion, would you wear heels and a skirt at barton?

I can tell you something, you wouldn't want 2 see the girls from eccles/irlam/cadishead in skirts :ooh: Lol.

youngskywalker
3rd Dec 2005, 10:42
In Response to "never wear stripes that you bought yourself".......Well, you obviously have never worked for one of the low cost operators then have you?! :E

S-Works
3rd Dec 2005, 10:46
uniform? i struggle to remember clothes most the time!

I run a billion pound programme of work at the moment in cords and soft shoes and am pretty sure that a suit would not improve my ability to do this work.

I fly my plane in jeans and trainers and am pretty sure that a uniform would also not improve things.

UL730
3rd Dec 2005, 10:46
Many moons ago - I was investigating the possibilities of adding a rating to my license and I visited a now defunct training acadamy in SE Scotland. I had an appointment to discuss the format, scope and fees with the CFI.

I thought as this was also an establishment that conducted commercial training - perhaps the appropriate attire was navy trousers, polished lace up black shoes, white shirt, dark tie and blue NATO pullover.

I arrived in my own aircraft - a rather tasty C172 and proceeded across tha apron towards the CFI's office. An interesting meterological side comment to this anecdote is that it was December and somewhat chilly.

As I neared the door and very distinguished man with gold bars all over his shoulders opened his office window and bawled across the apron at me:

"Get your F$*cking hands out of your pockets you slovenly reprobate"

Instictively - I did (all my ex minor public school ritualistic humiliation training kicked in)

The interview was embarrasing and somewhat disfunctional. I was just about to spend the thick end of £25k with this school and this was not an auspicious start.

My point is - be careful about "uniforms" - quasi or otherwise - least you find yourself at the wrong end of an authority gradient.

distaff_beancounter
3rd Dec 2005, 11:19
Scott - BMI

Firstly - welcome to PPRUNE - Private Flying.

Secondly - please do not worry about a few 'robust' replies.

Thirdly - you have a head start on many students, as you have understood one of the most important things about flying -

If in doubt - ASK - don't guess.

Good luck with the flying, and do please keep talking to us - we don't all bite! :)

Final 3 Greens
3rd Dec 2005, 13:18
HWD

Sorry, but value propositions are a little passe, your business audience probably tolerate this because they know what the words mean:}

funfly
3rd Dec 2005, 15:20
When I flew into Oxford all the lads under training had stripes of some sort, so here's a serious question.
What is the convention on stripes? does 1 mean trainee and 2 PPL etc. - oftened wondered what the number of stripes meant never had the gall to ask.
:8

Blackpoolwarrior
3rd Dec 2005, 18:18
Not sure on that- groundschool at OAT requires you to wear a 'uniform' but the epaulettes are not stripes but the OAT logo, and a tie of course with the...... OAT logo- it really will make me feel a professional with that gear on sitting in a classroom.... oh yeh- you have to pay for it, but I've got so much money that I don't know what else to waste it on...... not sure if the OAT socks are being introduced for the 2006 season.....

MrHorgy
4th Dec 2005, 00:41
I find that whether i'm wearing civvies, a skirt or my tuxedo, as long as I have my head squarely secured i'm ok.

Wear what your COMFORTABLE in. And if your thinking of going to a school have a browse of the website, if they all have uniform in the pictures wear something smartish. If not, turn up in something alluring. :E

Horgy

LowNSlow
4th Dec 2005, 05:57
Hang about chaps and chapesses, the lad is about to spend his hard earned readies on a non-professional qualification in a non-military environment so a uniform is not required. Just wear something comfortable and non-odiferous so as not to offend the instructor's delicate sensibilities!

Seriously, would you wear a uniform if you were going for skiing lessons at the local dryslope or other purveyor of recreational excellence? I don't think so, you would just wear the clothing appropriate to the activity. A Cessna 152 / PA-28 / Katana etc does NOT require a junior airline pilot uniform!

cosworth211
4th Dec 2005, 19:05
The flying school I'm training with in Florida does require unifrom, so I wear it.

1 stripe - first solo completed
2 stripes - PPL
3 stripes - CPL
4 stripes - Instrument

However when I am not flying with that school I just wear regular clothes.

Pianorak
4th Dec 2005, 19:39
. . . someone who just wants to do everything right before he starts to fly. . .
Whirlybird – I agree entirely, but don’t you think the fact that Scott did not enquire about the advisability of hiring/buying/wearing the much-loved Hi-Viz vest is just a tad worrying?

Piltdown Man
4th Dec 2005, 22:17
For a start, dropping out of college is not the best start you can make to being the best pilot in the World. And were you joking about the stripes? I am convinced that the majority of professional pilots would prefer to be a nice shade of non-descript grey (but employed). Being any other shade (or colour) will make your life more difficut than it needs to be. If worn, the stripes, no matter what their colour, will appear to flourescent pink when you see other people's reactions.

mad_jock
5th Dec 2005, 09:12
"Get your F$*cking hands out of your pockets you slovenly reprobate"

First commercial lesson for free :D

Acually I think you should wear what ever you want to wear and what ever puts you in the right mind to learn. Be it flight suit and gloves or shorts and vest. And also you have to remember that if anything does happen you need to be able to survive until someone turns up. So even though the planes heater can keep you comfy in shorts and t-shirt in the winter. If you do have a forced landing you might only have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt to keep you warm for a reasonable length of time.

Some times the mind is a funny old thing and a uniform does more than state an outside appearance to other people it also sets the inside up as well.

IF you feel it would be a help to learn. I would go for the cheapest clothing that can be ruined you can. Primark pair of chinos which i can vouch don't have an adverse reaction to avgas and only cost 3 quid a pair. And a normal white shirt from a industrial uniform shop. The dickies ones are quite good. Finished off with an front opening fleece. And a pair of thinsulate boots for the winter. The tinsil on the shoulders should be avoided at all cost.

A word of warning though. If you are walking about and appear to be in uniform some problems may occur. One person at sherburn had said fetish to wear uniform during PPL training. As a result another PPL student asked him a question and presuming he was an instructor went solo without being briefed or being signed out.

MJ

5th Dec 2005, 10:30
Get your F$*cking hands out of your pockets you slovenly reprobate

What a pr1ck!

I hope you told the pompous tw@t where to go.

poetpilot
5th Dec 2005, 12:20
(how is dear G-BEZZ these days folks?)

G-BEZZ lives opposite our Citabria in Hangar 2 and appears to still be shabby but much loved. I had a share in this aircraft from 1970 through to 1987. Fantastic little beast, many very enjoyable adventures in her all over Europe. She had a new engine back in the 90s (the 1990s) and seems to fly very regularly.

Barton? Uniform? Nope, enjoy civvie casuals, take a spare pair of shoes and stick the muddy boots in your car boot after flying.

Don't wear stripes. You might suffer physical assault. Unless you are Big and Hulking.

UL730
5th Dec 2005, 12:32
It actually got worse as the interview proceeded. A sample -

Q. Will your airline sponsored students receive instructional priority over a privately self-sponsored student?

A. Are you kidding – of course they will.

Q. I will be on my own after test – will I be able to sit I on the routes of other students to gain further experience?

A. No – we really only do one route as we have an arrangement with the CAAFU examiner. Other wise I will have to obtain permission from our sponsors – who will probably decline any observation of their prospective pilots.

Q. Will you be able to help with the written exams? Do you have any courses available?

A. No – we only offer CPL exams.

Q. What is your first time pass rate?

A. That is confidential information and commercially sensitive.

I latterly discovered that a privately sponsored student had actually undergone 8 attempts to pass IRT – and was contemplating her third group of 3 attempts - at this establishment. I didn’t think this was actually possible because it was generally deemed that a quite talk over tea and biscuits after 6 attempts was enough to deter any further expenditure. Final attempt after a further approved course and 170A, at another school was successful and the comments from the examiner were very positive albeit he was slightly dubious at the outset of test because he had never examined anyone on their very last attempt! My point is that I think the implications of any organisation's training methodology has to be in some respects, judged by their first time pass rate

Needless to say – I did not rush into that organisation. The school I eventually chose were very relaxed about clothing and as long as you could peel an orange whilst flying an asymmetric NDB approach - as far as they were concerned - you could be buck naked :\

Genghis the Engineer
5th Dec 2005, 12:33
Somebody of my acquaintance once was spotted by a fly-in marshall wearing a yellow jacket at Popham and was told to take it off since he might be construed as impersonating somebody official.

Just one of many good reasons to fly at Popham :O

G

hollywood285
5th Dec 2005, 12:52
Scott, dont forget too buy a big watch, that will make you a super pilot, and jeans and trainers, dont wear a uniform, you will get laughed at.

There!!!

WarmWind
5th Dec 2005, 14:10
Dear BMI701EGCC,

Don't forget to sew your woodwork and cooking badges onto your sleeve.

Honestly, get a life.

:8

chippy63
5th Dec 2005, 15:24
Scott,
That's jockstrap, aviator shades and a rolex, then!!

PPRuNeUser0172
5th Dec 2005, 16:11
Make sure you get a matching set of unifrom for your teddy bear and when/if you get your wings, sew them on every item of clothing you own, including underpants, just so people know you are better than them. This is what I did anyway, hope it helps.

Regards

DS

Windy Militant
7th Dec 2005, 08:46
Having spent most of my training in a leather jacket and bike boots, well daps as the instructors complained about the fugg rising from the pedal area as the weather turned warmer :O.
I'd reckon it's not the clothes that maketh the pilot but the aptitude and application.

Now I've been flying from farm strips for a few years I've discovered that it's very hard to tell the PPL's from the ATPL's by their attire and very often harder to tell by watching them fly.
The guy who spends hours poring over the tafs,notams and planning the route to the n'th degree with whizz wheel and charts will probably be a PPL. The guy who shambles up to his aircraft in cords and wellies, fag hanging out the corner of his mouth, who kicks the tyres and then proceeds to ignore the noise abatment and departs at zip feet over the village at full bore and upon his return bounces down the runway like a kangaroo on steroids is nearly always an ATPL! (I presume that the casual approach at weekends is a reaction to the rigours of the day job). A while back we had a newly minted PPL take up hangerage at one of the strips I haunt. It was priceless to see the look on his face when he discovered that the old buffer he'd been regaling with wisdom and air lore for an hour or so was a line check captain for a major carrier with several thousand hours behind him! :rolleyes: ;) ;)

Kolibear
7th Dec 2005, 10:51
BMI701EGCC, may I recommend the 5-stripe epaluettes from all good pilot supply shops. Discretely worn under a leather flying jacket, they will show that you a serious student.

AerBabe
8th Dec 2005, 17:54
I've recently managed to acquire a 'Top Gun' patch. I should be able to find room on my flying suit to squeeze it in between my various Squadron badges. :ok:

S-Works
8th Dec 2005, 18:15
I can think of a much better uniform for you to wear aerbabe........:O

AerBabe
8th Dec 2005, 18:21
Oh, well my work uniform's very flattering and sexy. :8

S-Works
8th Dec 2005, 18:27
still not what I had in mind, more ann summers that aviation actually.....

:D :cool: :O

AerBabe
8th Dec 2005, 18:32
I'm not surprised. BTW, you seem to have got so excited, your spelling's gone to pot. ;)

S-Works
8th Dec 2005, 21:27
makes my point exactly............:O

charlie-india-mike
8th Dec 2005, 22:16
Can you two take this offline please..............................

C-I -M

Sunfish
8th Dec 2005, 22:45
There is a certain aviation safety presentation on the web by an American Airforce General Spruance.

Here: http://www.angtec.ang.af.mil/spruance/Frameset.htm

As a simple PPL, my flying "uniform" is now boots, Levi's and a long sleeved shirt and baseball cap on even the hottest days. I'm also about to buy a pair of Nomex flying gloves.

Why? Look at the presentation, all of it if you can.

djpil
9th Dec 2005, 03:43
Good to hear Sunfish.
One of your fellow Club members was severely burnt after a forced landing in the training area some years ago. He would've been a lot better off if he hadn't been wearing one of those nylon "flying jackets".
Don't forget to wear cotton underdaks too.

Spodman
10th Dec 2005, 00:19
Most interesting presentation. guess I'll rug up a bit.