PDA

View Full Version : Good quality pickets/tie-downs/aircraft covers/guidance on T-hangars

QDMQDMQDM
29th Nov 2005, 19:15
Anyone got any suggestions for pickets/tie downs? I have the ones from light aero but they are not much cop.

Aircraft covers? Velas or the other people?

T-hangars? Any guidance?

Cheers,

QDM

IO540
29th Nov 2005, 19:39
Bruce Custom Covers, USA. Quicker, better and cheaper than UK manufacturers I have looked at. I have a lightweight reflective cover, intended for parking in hot places.

chrisN
29th Nov 2005, 23:37
T-hangers - latest costs for ours were about 7k for a glider hangar. I would guess somewhat more for a powered aircraft hangar, as it would need a wider fuselage section to accommodate the tail, tho' shorter wing sections.

You could try a local engineering company to build one to your specification, but there are pitfalls. Each of ours had improvements based on experience with the earlier ones.

Chris N.

Mark 1
30th Nov 2005, 07:48
Are the tie-downs permanent or portable? If permanent then there's no substitute for plenty of concrete and anchored eye-bolts.
Don't get the cheap corkscrew pickets; they are pretty low grade steel, just about good enough for picketing a dog on a lead.
Good ones will be un-swaged and feel like very stiff coil springs. The collar and 3-spike type are quite good too.

We bought a Northern Polytunnels hangar for about £3k all in (9m*10.5m, roller door) which has proven good value and I'd happily recommend them.

strake
30th Nov 2005, 10:12
I've used these as main tie-downs on a TB09 for three years - no problem.

http://www.pooleys.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Spyra_Base_Anchorage_System_79.html

Probably available from other quality outlets as well....

I've had a Cambrai cover on it for 6 years also no problem. I sent it back to be cleaned and serviced two years ago for about £80. Came back as new.

cblinton@blueyonder.
30th Nov 2005, 10:24
I used this (http://www.carcoversuk.com/index.htm) company for a cover.

As they had not done one for a Bonanza before they drove to Glos and made a template from fabric, several weeks later the cover arrived.

It fits like a glove and is lined with a soft fabric and a heat shield silver breathable fabric on the outside.

We put it to the test on a trip to Italy this year, the aircraft was nice and cool inside on some of the hottest days.

Unfortunately when parked up in Venice St Nicolo it got attacked by magpies and a few holes were found in the cover, on return to the UK I sent the cover back and they repaired it like new with no charge.

They get my full recommendation :ok: