PDA

View Full Version : Lost logbook! Have backup, now what?

Superpilot
28th Nov 2005, 20:27
Drat!

Was dreading this day. I've lost my first and only logbook. Had it for over 5 years. It had my first logged hour in it!!! :{ :{

I do have a very recent Excel worksheet though which contains all the entries I need to re-write a new one.

Could somebody please explain what my choices are from here. Do I have to notify the CAA or obtain anything fancy from a solicitor? bear in mind, I'm just a humble PPL at the moment with 100 hours.

Is it still a legal requirement to own a physical logbook, or can I just seize the opportunity and buy a CAA approved electronic logbook software package and just transfer to that? (any suggestions?).

Hour Builder
29th Nov 2005, 06:12
You dont need to have a physical logbook. If you didn't have a copy on your PC you'd need an afidavit, but you can transfer all you hours logged either into a CAA approved electronic logbook, or a new physical logbook.

HB

dwshimoda
29th Nov 2005, 09:51
Hour Builder is correct - my logbook went missing when the CAA psoted it back to me after gaining my PPL! Luckily it arrived nearly 20 days later - presumably having sat in my local sorting office. During that time I checked with the CAA - if you use approved software on your PC then that is fine, otherwise it's an affadavit, and a new log book.

My experience meant that now everytime I complete a page I photocopy it, and keep it in a different location. In adittion, I use Skylog Pro software as a redundancy, so therefore effectively keep two identical logbooks.

Squadgy
29th Nov 2005, 10:09
CAA approved electronic logbook

Is there such a thing? Do logbooks have to be approved by the CAA?

dwshimoda
29th Nov 2005, 10:56
Squadgy,

don't know if the term is "CAA approved" or not, however there are electronic logbooks that are accepted by the CAA and are JAA compliant. These I belive can be used in lieu of a paper based logbook - they have sophisticated tracking and amendment recording features, and can print out the necessary stuff for sending to the appropriate authority.

A look at any of the pilot gear websites will give details of a couple of the better known ones.

DW

Superpilot
29th Nov 2005, 15:24
OK, what do I about all those signatures that were in my first logbook. I take it they are no longer required seeing that I have been issued with my PPL?

bookworm
29th Nov 2005, 17:26
don't know if the term is "CAA approved" or not, however there are electronic logbooks that are accepted by the CAA and are JAA compliant.

The CAA accepts any electronic format that contains the information required by the ANO. You do, however, need to sign each page of any print out sent to FCL for licence or rating applications. I use a simple home-grown Excel spreadsheet.

IO540
29th Nov 2005, 21:33
I think there are circumstances where having a particular lesson signed by the instructor might "look better".

I photograph my logbook every once in a while. Much quicker than photocopying.

BillieBob
29th Nov 2005, 22:36
The CAA do not 'approve' logbooks, nor is there a favoured format.

Provided that you record the information required by the ANO, you may use (and the CAA will accept) any method that you wish from a scruffy piece of paper, through an Excel spreadsheet, to one of the overpriced pieces of tat from one of the various pilot requisite shops.

Personally, all my logbook information is in an Excel spreadsheet so that I can quickly and easily summarise it in any of the many different formats that the CAA require for my various approvals/authorisations. I have yet to have a submission rejected.

Superpilot
30th Nov 2005, 07:48
BillieBob,
So they don't seem too worried about not having a signature of an instructor?

Hour Builder
30th Nov 2005, 07:57
"OK, what do I about all those signatures that were in my first logbook. I take it they are no longer required seeing that I have been issued with my PPL?".....indeed that is correct.

"So they don't seem too worried about not having a signature of an instructor?"........if you lost your physical logbook with 45 hours in it, yet you had just been issued a PPL, and had kep an electronic copy of your hours, they'd be no problem. Afidavit only required if you had no way of proving your hours. Even going back to your flying school should/could help, as they keep training records.

HB

bugz
1st Dec 2005, 22:01
Lost my logbook shortly after obtaining my PPL thanks to some thieving rogue that decided my flightbag was worth knicking from my home!

Anyway, I had a backup of my logbook on Skylog (great product) so I went out, bought a new one and entered all the flights back in, not that many at the time.

2 Years down the line and I have just finished my ME CPL/IR and now I've got to get an affidavit (only needed for issue of professional pilots licence). The information given on the CAAs website was not particularly specific for what was required so after a 2 months of badgering them I finally got the following by email advising on requirements. Hope it helps -

-----
Due to the loss of your logbook you are required to submit a Sworn Affidavit, completed through a solicitor, detailing your flying hours to the best of your knowledge in the following categories:-

(1) Overall flying experience.

(2) Fixed wing flying experience in the capacity of:

a) Pilot-in-Command (P1)
b) Pilot-in-Command under Supervision (P1U/S)
c) Pilot-under-Training (PUT)
d) Co-Pilot (P2).

(3) Fixed wing night flying - to be categorised as above.

(4) Cross-country flying - to be categorised as 2(a).

(5) Instrument Flying:

a) Pilot-in-Command
b) Pilot-under-Training
c) Simulator

(6) Approximate dates of:-

a) most recent 300 nautical mile flight including landing at two intermediate landing grounds;

b) two flights at night as Pilot-in-Command terminating at an aerodrome not less than 65 nautical miles from the point of departure;

c) last flight as Pilot-in-Command by day;

d) last flight as Pilot-in-Command by night.

Production to this office of your Affidavit will enable us to confirm the terms given in this letter and will be of use to us in any future assessment you may apply for.

I apologise for the inconvenience this will cause, however, before we can offer terms for the issue of a Professional Pilots' Licence we must be satisfied that the experience requirements, as detailed in the current edition of CAP 54 (April 1989 as amended), are met.

Thrush
30th Dec 2005, 17:17
I lost mine several years ago when my car was pinched.

Very simple. All I had to do was swear the hours written on a piece of paper were correct in front of a Solicitor and the CAA must accept this, as it is a sworn statement in the eyes of the law. Cost - £5

Lost some cracking photos of my early career though, that were pasted in the logbook!

Superpilot
30th Dec 2005, 17:51
Bugz,

I'm confused. I thought the whole purpose of having the electronic backup was that you wouldn't have to get an affidavit if your logbook went missing? Skylog is CAA/JAA approved, it is a logbook in it's own right? yes/no?

Superpilot
6th Jan 2006, 13:49
bttt, am even more confused now. :uhoh: