PDA

View Full Version : Ballooning height record broken

Ripline
27th Nov 2005, 11:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4467766.stm

I'm impressed. Not many records left now, surely?

One would get a pretty good view from that altitude, I guess
:ooh:

I seem to recall the previous record holder saying that he doubted that it could be done. If one ever held a record, one would be cautious about saying things like that. Too much like tempting fate! :D

Ripline

stue
27th Nov 2005, 11:57
Saw it in the newspaper this morning. pretty impressive! well done to him!

IO540
27th Nov 2005, 15:04
What is the technical challenge in going to these levels?

Ripline
27th Nov 2005, 15:38
IO540
What is the technical challenge in going to these levels?

Well, I suppose that the pressure vessel technology is well understood by now even if it is not something available to the ordinary balloonist of modest financial means. Three other major areas of challenge come to mind as far as I can see.

The biggest one is generating an envelope capable of attaining record altitudes with payload. The lift that be generated within the temperature levels that the envelope can be heated to gets pretty microscopic as the air density falls off. At 70K feet it would be minimal - a problem not dissimilar to the service ceiling of an aircraft.

The next one is the burner technology, probably better understood, but still a chancey business with very little free oxygen available for free-burning. Propane burner efficiency drops off rapidly and keeping the fuel tanks warm enough to maintain vapour pressure is a problem.

The third one, I think, would be the met. forecasts at altitude. They would have to match good low and medium level ones to conduct a reasonably safe flight. They haven't yet said where it came down, but Indian Ocean wouldn't be my idea of fun....

Oh, and the beaurocracy of getting permission. That would undoubtably have been an interesting story, although as an Indian National probably easier than most.

And money, sponsorship. Gosh. That's six, just from the depths of my armchair!

All things considered, the boy done good! :D

Ripline