PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the US with a JAA medical....

Paris Dakar
26th Nov 2005, 17:52
I recently posted regarding aircraft rental/flight schools in the Palm Springs/Indio area.

A kind PPRuNer sent me a link and I duly contacted two operators. The first, had a rather nice looking website and operated out of Palm Springs International Airport. I sent them an e-mail which they chose not to respond to, and then I rang them and was told that the 'boss was out' but he'd call me back..............but I heard diddly.

The second operator flies out of a municipal airport 2 miles outside of Indio, and they had a Skyhawk that they were prepared to hire to me. Off I went with all my docs and everything seemed fine until I was aked for my FAA Medical? I don't have one - I said. Sorry, no US medical, no aircraft hire. I suggested that the chap check this out as my JAA medical should cover me. Just then, an instructor came into the room and he was asked about the status of my medical, without a moment to think about it he replied that to fly in the US you must have a FAA medical.

As I was only going to be in the US for a couple of days longer there was no point in trying to force the issue. And not wishing to miss out on a spot of flying I decided to do an hour and a half of dual with one of the instructors at the school anway (which turned out to be excellent by the way).

So just a word of warning - if you intend to fly out of an airport where Brit visitors are rare, make sure that they know the regulations - it may save you some hassle.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Genghis the Engineer
26th Nov 2005, 17:59
Depends upon your licence I believe.

I have an FAA PPL on the back of my JAA licence. That covers my medical as well, and has been accepted as such at at-least one place that had probably never seen a Brit before except on TV!

I've not needed to so far, but maybe one needs to go armed with a copy of the FAA regs on these reciprocal licences just in case.

(If you've got a true FAA licence, then as I understand it, yes you do need an FAA medical).

G

Paris Dakar
26th Nov 2005, 19:01
GtE,

My FAA PPL is issued on the back of my UK CAA PPL and I've not had any problems before when I've been in Florida.

Good point made about taking a note of the actual regs, and that is something I certainly would do if I were returning to a similar location.

PD

deing
26th Nov 2005, 19:09
Genghis,

Any link to that regulation?

Thanks,
Jan

Chilli Monster
26th Nov 2005, 20:52
All covered in 14 CFR 61.75 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=6556e7dadceb57aeebf1d5a8b12678a3&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)