PDA

View Full Version : Dog eat dog!!

stiknruda
25th Nov 2005, 13:21
A few weeks ago I contacted Pilot magazine to place a classified ad in their aircraft for sale section. The ad details the aircraft and gives my batfone and an e-address specific to the advert.

The ad ran and I had a few enquiries, in fact quite a few - to the extent that I sold the aircraft for the asking price. The purchaser paid a deposit but required a couple of weeks to sort out things at his end.

I'd placed the ad for 3 months but had not withdrawn it as I'd not received the balance before the 2nd issue went to press. The balance was received early last week, the purchaser came over late last week and flew with me.

I delivered the aeroplane over the weekend.

During the midde of last week, post receipt of the balance but before the aircraft departed, Pilot mag droppped onto my mat. Later the same day I was contacted electronically by Flyer mag wanting to advertise my aeroplane for me at a lower rate than Pilot mag charge! I didn't bother replying as I felt it slightly intrusive and I didn't have an aircraft to sell any more.

Yesterday, a very sweet young lady rang and enquired about my aircraft - yes, you've guessed she was from Flyer mag!

Today, I'm just leaving the local tractor dealership with a foo-foo valve for my John Deere and my mobile rings, I didn't recognise the number but answered anyway.

It was a pleasant young man from The Loop wanting to offer me ad space for my aircraft!

What a dog eat dog world aircraft advertising is! Just waiting to hear from Today's Pilot now.

Oh and a top tip - if you do find yourself advertising an aircraft for sale, do be sure to negotiate a better rate than shown in the magazine!

Stik

Warped Factor
25th Nov 2005, 13:37
Had similar experiences except with cars, after placing ads in Autocar got more calls from competitor advertising sites than from genuine buyers.

WF.

aztec25
25th Nov 2005, 13:53
Believe me it's no worse than other commercial sectors which need advertising revenue to survive.

The real world I'm afraid - "nice place to visit, but who'd want to live there!"

High Wing Drifter
25th Nov 2005, 13:57
stiknruda,

You got me guessing now. That rather tastey looking Christian Eagle perchance? I can't resist a bit of 'window shopping' each month.

stiknruda
25th Nov 2005, 14:25
The real world I'm afraid - "nice place to visit, but who'd want to live there!"

Aztec - that is exactly why it is quite hard to get me off my farm. Here, I know exactly where the sh1t is!

HWD - same sort of configuration but 65 years old!

Stik

markflyer6580
25th Nov 2005, 14:42
Foo Foo valve :confused: :confused: :confused:

Whats one of them??:D

aztec25
25th Nov 2005, 15:14
Nice one stik!
I love Norfolk - come down at least twice a year for the real birds!!!

slim_slag
25th Nov 2005, 15:30
My bro spent a short time working the phones for one of these mags selling space for people to sell their cars. Some sellers were desparate, and although the car was worth £10k in the book (and the ad), they said they would take £8k (example).

My bro thought about calling them later as an individual and offering £7,500 and then selling it on for a nice profit. Don't know how they could stop that sort of thing, so don't tell the magazine how much you would take.

javelin
26th Nov 2005, 16:27
I am really sorry to whinge, but it is Christen, not Christian !

Stik, you would be better with an Eagle than a Pitts :E

IO540
27th Nov 2005, 07:23
I get called by an advert rep daily (industrial controls)

This is the hardest job around, especially nowadays when most people with a brain do a google first, so printed pubs are struggling to exist in the space that's left.

If one plays it right, one can get rates which are 1/4 of the price list.

stiknruda
29th Nov 2005, 16:48
I love Norfolk - come down at least twice a year for the real birds!!!

Aztec - Those Norfolk Broads are really something! And we do get some really high ones too!

MF6589 Foo foo valve, it's the bit that always breaks on a tractor/aeroplane/vintage bike or old car! It's generally very hard to get to and very expensive to replace! And it always requires the one spanner that you've lent out be it 11/32 AF, 2BA or 7/16WW.

Stik

markflyer6580
29th Nov 2005, 20:49
Know what you mean now cheers:ok:

My mk2 golf gti is made of said valves:mad:

J.A.F.O.
29th Nov 2005, 21:31
I have an aeroplane built entirely from Foo Foo valves, though not entirely built.

LowNSlow
30th Nov 2005, 09:44
and the material they are made from is called Unobtanium!

stiknruda
30th Nov 2005, 09:56
and you are never 100% sure exactly what it does but you DO know that if it's broken you aren't able to start it, far less go anywhere in it!