PDA

View Full Version : Cd Player hook-up

jai6638
24th Nov 2005, 21:38
Is it possible to hook up a cd/mp3 player so as to be able to listen to it on the headphones in a piper warrior ?

If so, what would I need?

thanks much..

EGBKFLYER
25th Nov 2005, 07:11
...your head examined for a start!

Unless you can isolate the P1 headset and pipe music to your passengers, I would limit your in-flight entertainment to tuning in AM stations on the ADF (naughty) and listening to the R/T as a good airman should...

Zulu Alpha
25th Nov 2005, 07:53
I have a headset from Clarity aloft see wwwclarityaloft.com it has a socket for an audio input and works very well.

It has earieces that fit in your ear so very good noise reduction and light weight.

I would suggest an MP3 player as this is smaller and because it has no moving parts it will avoid vibration and the need to change CDs. This combination works well on long journeys and it is easy to listen to music as well as listen to the aircraft radio.

I think I have seen a box that you can plug your headset into and also plug either a mobile phone or external audio source into. These probably do the same thing as the above without the expense of a new headset. Please let me know if you find one of these as I would like to get one.

All of the above only put audio on one headset rather than the whole A/C audio. Some of the intercoms on the market allow you to add audio for everyone with the abilty to isolate the pilot.

Rod1
25th Nov 2005, 12:39
Most GA intercoms dating from the recent past have an audio in facility, which is muted if the radio activates. All you would have to do is get it wired in. On my PFA machine with a PS Engineering intercom it took me 20min, so a trained avionic shop will probably manage it for three or four times the cost of the intercom.

Rod1

S-Works
25th Nov 2005, 12:45
I have a Garmin 340 Audio Panel that has a music input. It can be piped around all the seats or the P1 can isolate and it does audio mute on PTT press and TX receive so no problem listening to the radio. I plug my iPod in and away we go.

Nothing wrong listening to a bit of music. On long flights when I have no one to talk to it provides a little entertainment and better quality than the ADF on 1215!!

jai6638
25th Nov 2005, 14:40
thanks for the replies people.

I need to buy a new headset anyways so I guess ill try looking at the ones you guys have... Wont be able to buy the panel since I rent planes for now..

I've never heard of the Clarity Aloft headset though so

1) Is the manufacturer well know?
2) Also, it has earpieces.. The right earpiece of my Creative Zen never sticks to my right ear ( dunno why it happens.. it sprobably coz of the shape of my ear or somethin ) .. So are the earpieces of the headset the same as the Creative Zen or are they supported at the back and hence, do not fall off?

3) Are there similar headsets available in brands like DC, Bose,etc?

4) Also, my Zen mp3 player doesnt have a line out...any idea how I can go around this?

thanks much once again.

bluekieran
25th Nov 2005, 16:05
While the Clarity Alofts are truly droolworthy, they cost a bomb. After some reading around I decided a pair of Lightspeed Cross-Country's would be just the thing, and they have a cellphone port that you could plug an CD/MP3 player into.

I got mine from a septic company on eBay, theyre very comfy and I look forward to trying them out Monday! I think they always have a set up, there's one there now at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aviation-Pilot-Headset-By-Lightspeed-ANR-like-XC-Cell_W0QQitemZ4593144610QQcategoryZ26440QQssPageNameZWD2VQQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[EDIT]: That link is b0rked, try searching eBay for "xc-cell"

(but if I were richer I'd have got the Clarity Alofts... so pretty. so very pretty.)

Zulu Alpha
3rd Dec 2005, 20:18
I answer to your question,

The Clarity aloft has squidgy ear plus, a bit like foam earplugs. They have hole in the middle for the earphone and expand to fill your ear so I expect they will firt anyone.

Line input is not needed you just use the headphone output. You need a 3.5 mm male to male lead which you can get from Maplin for about £3. Maybe elsewhere.

These work very well.

l_reason
5th Dec 2005, 14:56
I have spent way too much time in a small plane (2000+hours) alone listening to only the controller and other traffic. I work as an oblique aerial photographer and now use my own plane. My solution to the overwhelming lack of music was to use what I had on board on a long commute (yes I did this in the air while flying)

1. Take an old PTT button and cut off the wire about 6” from the male plug and strip the three wires. Plug it in and check witch wire will key the transmitter when touched to the black wire. Cut off and tape THAT wire.
2. Using a the male end of a headphone wire (as long as possible) from your portable cd/mp3/fm player. Strip the wires (4) and wire them into mono (colored + wires together and - black wires together).
3. Unplug the PTT wire from the aircraft and connect the black (-) wires from both cords together and tape them. Do the same with the positive (+) wires.
4. Now using your new patch cord you can plug one end into the empty passenger’s microphone jack and the other into your cd/mp3/fm radio.
5. Turn on the music and adjust the volume so that it’s quieter then ATC or other traffic on the COM radio.
By setting your music up to play this way you can bring it from plane to plane and it only costs a few $$. Your mp3 player will be just like a passenger that never shuts up and can be silenced the same ways (un-plug or pilot isolation switch). For myself I use foam earplugs inside my DC-13.4’s for a few reasons static being one of them.

Happy trails.
Patrick

fu 24 950
6th Dec 2005, 12:06
Try www.flightcell.co.nz