PDA

View Full Version : ADI without ADV ?

yonash
17th Nov 2005, 06:56
Recently we've been introduced to new system of ATC rating/endorsements. As we previously had only ICAO standards, nowadays we're given the CoE standards.

Until late 2003 we were given aerodrome rating, which weren't described as visual or instrumental. We were allowed to provide atc services to all the traffic within our area of responsibility.

Since the change, the ADI and ADV have been introduced, and we were given, with the changed licence, only the ADI rating.
My question is, whether this is normal to habe ADI without ADV rating? According law, ADI rating is when the procedures are published, and for our aerodrome they are for _IFR_. But what about VFR traffic ? There are no approach procedures published, so should I assume, that I wouldn't be allowed to provide services for traffic with no procedures published ? Same is with visual approach, as we don't have visual approach chart.
Does anybody here have ADI without ADV rating ?

17th Nov 2005, 10:05
In the UK, you are automatically given an ADV if you have an ADI; they are still shown as separate ratings on your licence but when you do a unit licence endorsement it'll generally only be for ADI (plus appropriate endorsements).

It sounds pretty similar to your situation; I only have ADI unit licence endorsements but regularly control VFR traffic. I think you'll find that the difference between ADI and ADV is to do with the aerodrome (and its procedures) rather than the type of traffic handled.

Tweety
27th Nov 2005, 21:55
Well there is a twist in Canada the twr controllers are only VFR controllers they are not issued with an IFR endorsment but they still control IFR traffic in IFR conditions, so work that one out

M609
28th Nov 2005, 17:08
In the UK, you are automatically given an ADV if you have an ADI; they are still shown as separate ratings on your licence but when you do a unit licence endorsement it'll generally only be for ADI (plus appropriate endorsements).

Much the same in the land of the vikings, but we only have ADI stated in the liscence. (A ADI includes the ADV)