PDA

View Full Version : Squished finger

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Nov 2005, 20:32
Just for anyone who hasn't come across this before, if you're poking around with your finger inside the aileron hinge, it's a jolly good idea to have the other hand holding the aileron still so that it can't blow about in the wind.

mad_jock
13th Nov 2005, 20:39
Yep gertrude you only do it once.

Even worse if you have settled a pax in the cockpit and they see the stick move while your doing your checks and decide to move the control themselves.

Its geared your finger is between two plates of thin metal, it will cut it off.

MJ

18greens
14th Nov 2005, 11:23
Also watch out if someone is preflighting the other wing at the same time.

GJB
14th Nov 2005, 12:15
i tend to have them stand to the side whilst doing the prelim and walkaround, then i get them seated.;

makes me shudder to think.........

brisl
14th Nov 2005, 16:40
P2 in cockpit fiddling with headsets etc., head down...

P1 outside waggling ailerons...

Result = P2 broken nose (really!).

Now always yell "Clear nose":O

mad_jock
14th Nov 2005, 16:59
Or a knee board in the nuts when you do the elevators

bletchleytugie
14th Nov 2005, 17:01
I don't suppose the next set of fingernails to disappear into a gliders airbrake system will the last either!

High Wing Drifter
14th Nov 2005, 17:04
Then there is the undefined but yet significant relative quantity of hair and scalp within probably every C152 pitot :ouch:

AerBabe
14th Nov 2005, 17:38
Took friend flying in C152. Friend had great time until RTB, when he walked into the wing. I laughed lots. Promptly walked into wing myself. He laughed lots. I walked round a/c and into other wing. :O

Ow.

Oh God. I just remembered an interesting trouser-moment in a Chipmunk. :hmm:

(Hyphenated for those who think I own/wear \'interesting\' trousers. Apart from my current uniform ones, of course.)

Hour Builder
14th Nov 2005, 20:01
What a great thread, most posts made me laugh or cringe. Keep the stories coming.

AerBabe what a funny reply, I'd love to have seen that.

brisl sounds painfull but damm funny too.

HB

Send Clowns
14th Nov 2005, 21:26
I always teach my studes not to do te check with anyone in the cockpit! I must admit I was thinking of the student's fingers, rather than the cockpit occupants nose, but that's another good reason.

Mmmmmm ... lots of interesting things about Aerbabe's trousers :O

AerBabe
14th Nov 2005, 21:47
SC - You really must come & visit again soon. You'll just love the uniform. :yuk:

mad_jock
14th Nov 2005, 23:03
Walking into the trailing edge of a Cessna flap hurts like a bitch and causes your face to look as if some one has taken a crinkley chip cutter to you. Must admit I used to put the flaps down and leave them there to stop me doing it.

shortandsmelly
14th Nov 2005, 23:33
Ahh the old 'Cessna Head'. :ouch:
The one to watch on a Cherokee - don't step on the trailing edge of the flap to get onto the wing if it's not up and locked - it won't hold and you get 'Piper Shin' as a result...:uhoh:

Keygrip
14th Nov 2005, 23:45
Never mind the aeroplanes!! AerBabe in a uniform??

I must check my air miles - that would be worth seeing for real (not just in my dreams).

I---I

High Wing Drifter
15th Nov 2005, 07:16
The one to watch on a Cherokee - don't step on the trailing edge of the flap to get onto the wing if it's not up and locked - it won't hold and you get 'Piper Shin' as a result...
My main fear of PA28 induced incapacitation is decapitation by that door on a gusty day. Could hurt!

Davidt
15th Nov 2005, 10:01
Another aircraft induced ailment for you - TB9/10 hand.

Those gas struts never work:mad: