PDA

View Full Version : On or Off?

fly babe
13th Nov 2005, 16:13
Guys, please help us with a question....

Mr FB say's that ALL ATControllers work 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off no matter at which airport they work. I attest that some airports have less traffic than others so the working/resting periods are more flexible....

Who is correct, please?

Mrs FB

Jerricho
13th Nov 2005, 16:18
Hi Fly babe,

Different countries have different rules regarding time in position (and length of shift). While 20 mins on and 20 mins off would be pretty cushy, it's not the case.

Places like Heathrow Approach at Terminal Control West Drayton allow controllers to be in position maximum of an hour and a half, then a 30 min break (it be the law!). Some units allow 2 hours in position before requiring a break. And depending upon available staff, a controller may very well be in position for that long.

Canada has no formal stipulation regarding time in position, although once again depending on how busy it gets, after 2 hours in position you can be feeling a little crosseyed. But once again, it's a staffing issue. If you have the bods there, you tend to rotate through so everybody gets a turn :ok:

fly babe
13th Nov 2005, 16:34
Thankyou Jezza... I win! Actually, it really has been interesting thinking about and understanding the role of you guy's in those towers. Cheers :ok:

Gonzo
13th Nov 2005, 17:37
I'd imagine there are more interesting things than thinking about Jerricho in a tower.

He'd be lost, for one!

Windows, what are they?:ok:

Jerricho
13th Nov 2005, 20:00
That hurt Gonzo.

True, but harsh.

:{

ATCO1962
14th Nov 2005, 02:13
20 minutes on..20 off?? Where does a utopian thought like that come from. Whoever suggested that, I want some of what they're on!!

We do up to 2 and a half hours on and an hour off in an 8 hour shift but spare a thought for our colleagues at single man/woman units that have no official break in their 7-8 hours in the tower.

av8boy
14th Nov 2005, 03:32
20 on 20 off? That's just enough to be irritating! You'd just start to get your head into the traffic and you'd be relieved. That's no fun.

On the other hand, give me an hour on and an hour off and we're in business!

All my professional life (in the US) we've been talking roughly two hours on and 20-30 minutes off. From an official standpoint, the boss wants you on for two hours and off for 20 minutes.

eyeinthesky
14th Nov 2005, 09:53
Places like Heathrow Approach at Terminal Control West Drayton allow controllers to be in position maximum of an hour and a half, then a 30 min break (it be the law!).
Unquote

Actually, it's not law, it's a local agreement called Enhanced Relief. If you are forced to exceed the 90 mins, you can raise a report for local management, but you are not in breach of SRATCOH until you exceed 2 hours.

(SRATCOH: Scheme for the Regulation of Air Traffic Controllers' Operational Hours (or something!))

yakkity yak
28th Nov 2005, 08:09
Gee I wish we had that sort of legislation in the ME, mate they work you until you drop. That is the sort of rule that should be brought in worldwide by ICAO as a mandatory requirment, no exceptions.

Serco, ASA, FAA and Navcanada be warned

ThrillHouse
28th Nov 2005, 08:56
ASA has an Occupational Health and Safety recommendation for no more than 2 hours. Every time it is exceeded, the spinless front desk types remind you it is a recommendation only.

chevvron
28th Nov 2005, 11:55
Funny I thought places like LATCC were 20 on and 40 off!

Jerricho
28th Nov 2005, 13:34
LATCC?

Where's that then?

Tompano
28th Nov 2005, 17:15
20 on, 20 off?! Give me, give me!!!
Here where I work we have 8 1/2 hours on, NO off.....
Ok, it`s not the most bussiest of towers, but still. With no breaks you get quite tired at the end of the day...

After working 5 years at a small twr with no breaks, there`s no doubt in my mind it can be just as demanding as working a busy unit with more frequent breaks..

Anyway, just my opinion...

T.

B-Chops
28th Nov 2005, 22:49
20 mins on/20 mins off - chance would be a fine thing!! Never refuse a break when offered I say!!!

Lon More
28th Nov 2005, 23:42
20 on, 20 off. Chance'd be a fine thing.
before I retired Maastricht UAC had introduced a compulsory break after a maximum of two hours - except for the Supervisors who didn't need a break at all, and could go from position to position giving breaks for eight hours non-stop :mad:

I wonder if that had anything to do with my falling asleep?

yonash
29th Nov 2005, 15:18
In Pl we do maximum 2 hours on, and then 1 hour off.
We have also scheme, that we can work 75% of duty, which currently is max. 6 out of 8.

Anther point is the maximum work time per month. ACC, Warsaw APP+TWR works 16 shifts/month, while rest of the country works 17 shifts, which comes from lack of staff, and is agreed to be decresed to 16 in the next 2 years, AFAIR.

kontrolor
29th Nov 2005, 21:18
in Slovenia we work 2 hours, 3 max and 1 hr off

flowman
29th Nov 2005, 21:18
"After working 5 years at a small twr with no breaks"

Now that IS a bit excessive!:uhoh: